After last FW upgrade, Wiim seems to be no more bit perfect.

merifon

Major Contributor
I would like to point out that some users refer that bit perfect reproduction via toslink verification tests on RME ADI-2 and other gears, is lost. Deviations are especially for anything over 44.1/16.
Can someone verify and provide?
Bit perfectness was the main reason to use wiim...

thanks in advance

I would like to point out that some users refer that bit perfect reproduction via toslink verification tests on RME ADI-2 and other gears, is lost. Deviations are especially for anything over 44.1/16.
Can someone verify and provide?
Bit perfectness was the main reason to use wiim...

thanks in advance
basically this story of test rme interrese (should interrese) only those in rme etc..
it's up to them to be curious or not
""bit perfect...as long as the drc doesn't start...? ;-) ""
not even wiim...

the main thing is that the toslink output and analog output are no longer affected by this drc in no eq mode and that we return to the previous correct situation...
(tells us on the other hand one of the approaches to manage the problems of the eq mode of the wiim engineers)

(it may also be better not to wait for this mqa story for this new firmware)

Last edited:
in mode no eq..ok since a long time..( nov?)
but
problems stay in mode eq...
with the recent withdrawal of the drc we return to the situation before...
the drc made sense in the absence of efforts from wiim to adjust the eq mode...
was doing his job...
(we can now come across much more damaging situations with digital clipping)

Last edited:
in mode no eq..ok since a long time..( nov?)
but
problems stay in mode eq...
with the recent withdrawal of the drc we return to the situation before...
the drc made sense in the absence of efforts from wiim to adjust the eq mode...
was doing his job...
(we can now come across much more damaging situations with digital clipping)
It wasn't doing its job properly. It was adding nasty distortions even when there was no risk to reach a clipping level.

It wasn't doing its job properly. It was adding nasty distortions even when there was no risk to reach a clipping level.
vous faite fausse route.. ;-)

le drc fesait son boulot de drc..car si il produisait une distortion sensible a partir de -1db,
il permettait d eviter en toutes circonstances le clipping numerique qui est bien plus evident, genant ,
embetant, que l on peux croiser avec le mode eq sans gestion du niveau que produit les appareils wiim...
wiim le sais depuis le printemps 22..et avais finis par facilité par utiliser le drc de texas instrument pour camoufler la chose....

vous invite a l ecoute d essayer juste pour démonstration en mode eq on vocal booster..(ou tout autre poussant le niveau au dessus du 1db , ce nouveau headroom)...)
un signal a 1k meme a -3db...
etc
)et pire..le cas banal de boost de grave... etc)

le drc etait "une solution moin pire"

;-)
(la solution simple est ne jamais appliquer de corrections en positif dans le mode eq..mais uniquement en negatif...ainsi on n est jamais confronté a des risques de clipping num)

Last edited:
vous faite fausse route.. ;-)

le drc fesait son boulot de drc..car si il produisait une distortion sensible a partir de -1db,
il permettait d eviter en toutes circonstances le clipping numerique qui est bien plus evident, genant ,
embetant, que l on peux croiser avec le mode eq sans gestion du niveau que produit les appareils wiim...
wiim le sais depuis le printemps 22..et avais finis par facilité par utiliser le drc de texas instrument pour camoufler la chose....

vous invite a l ecoute d essayer juste pour démonstration en mode eq on vocal booster..(ou tout autre poussant le niveau au dessus du 1db , ce nouveau headroom)...)
un signal a 1k meme a -3db...
etc
)et pire..le cas banal de boost de grave... etc)

le drc etait "une solution moin pire"

;-)
(la solution simple est ne jamais appliquer de corrections en positif dans le mode eq..mais uniquement en negatif...ainsi on n est jamais confronté a des risques de clipping num)
I don't think so. The problem with DRC was that it was in action for signals -1.1 dBFS and above, so also for those ones without a risk of clipping. So it was adding nasty distortions even for slightly attenuated EQ bands if full scale input signal was used.
With a current implementation without a DRC and with a small negative pregain you can face any issues only if you add a gain in the EQ yourself.

-1db..c is a level in the end high that we rarely encounter if the prod are well done (even if in my case it is because I use radios worked with high average levels..)

but the safest way to be confronted with clipping is good by modifying the eq mode quite heavily in a positive way in the frequencies with the highest level of genre below 3k.. at 14k it will pass...

we will both come to the conclusion that the safest thing is in eq mode to lower levels...
but personally I maintain that I preferred the drc to obvious risks of digital clipping ... if I used the eq mode with frequency boosts
( typical in my case if i use radio near -1db and eq "classical "from wiim for explain)

remember that during the drc period even in no eq mode.. nobody had noticed it before I pointed the subject...
the digital clipping .. it will certainly have been quickly on the other hand

;-)
the texas drc is exactly thought for these "uncontrolled" circumstances
hence my point
and
ps
I don't use eq mode

;-)

Last edited:
the main thing now is just to warn for the use of the eq mode and the precautions to be taken since the disappearance of the drc

in wiim's presets there are a good number that can really cause problems etc
;-)

Back