After last FW upgrade, Wiim seems to be no more bit perfect.

merifon

Major Contributor
I would like to point out that some users refer that bit perfect reproduction via toslink verification tests on RME ADI-2 and other gears, is lost. Deviations are especially for anything over 44.1/16.
Can someone verify and provide?
Bit perfectness was the main reason to use wiim...

thanks in advance

@WiiM Team
As the issue has been confirmed can you please try to explain how it's possible that some units are not affected and they can pass RME "bitperfect" test, according to the claims we've seen already?

honestly I would like very much that once debugged... linkplay wiim explains to us a little what the nature of this problem was...
really out of curiosity...
this bug is quite amazing...

;-)

@WiiM Team,

With the beta firmware 4.6.434457, via the analog aux output:
- 0 dB, 1k tone - still see some distortions (screenshot 1)
- anything below 0 dB, only the background noise, not visible, below -100 dB (screenshot 2)

1667484441453.png

1667484487625.png

Last edited:
The issue is caused by the EQ clipping, our engineers make a mistake and they still limit the volume with DRC even the EQ is off.

My measurements in the digital domain look good for beta. Bear in mind that EQ is completely disabled in this FW, so no possibility to test the behavior with EQ enabled.

Sine:
1667547911349.png

SMPTE:

1667548054550.png

CCIF:

1667548156838.png

OK. And this is the same case?
"The device firmware now automatically chooses the "Hi-Res" content, but the problem is that Tidal's "Hifi" or "High-Res" just plays a folded version of MQA according to some, thus, some DACs still recognize it as MQA."

This issue has been overplayed in my opinion - I didn’t find it made any audible difference in routine listening, and as WiiM have said, they’ll be issuing a fix very soon
It's overplayed in your opinion, but in fact it can be used to demand a replacement of faulty unit because the distortion can be easily heard and measured, and workaround implementation (lowering WiiM's volume) means being no bit perfect at all.

must understand the nature of this distortion .. brutal and very strong ...

but we must also realize the circumstances where it presents itself ... or not ....
it's precise, "particular"...
case by case....often very brief in peak.

even if fairly obvious situations such as:
with streams via music server with very reduced dynamics music.. processed via solutions like replay gain etc. set near 0dfs pk

(it is circumstances of this type, unpleasant in the long term, which made me bring out the means of measurement before storing the wiim in a drawer...)
strong brutal.....
but
present or not...
a fast level meter can help for unterstand..

perceived or not....another type of question

onelyoneme's files were interesting for that...

wiim support seems to have understood where the bug is located...
should be repaired very soon i hope..
;-)

Last edited:
OK. And this is the same case?
"The device firmware now automatically chooses the "Hi-Res" content, but the problem is that Tidal's "Hifi" or "High-Res" just plays a folded version of MQA according to some, thus, some DACs still recognize it as MQA."
Now we are integrating the MQA Core Decoder and MQA authentication into WiiM Mini and plan to release a beta firmware in next week. Then WiiM Mini will output 88.2 or 96 kHz. If your DAC supports full unfold MQA, your DAC will detect MQA stream and unfold MQA Stream twice to 176/192kHz.

I am using build-in DAC in Yamaha. It doesnt support mqa at all. What will my Yamaha play then? Pure flac? Lossy unfolded mqa? And what is it playing now?

I am using build-in DAC in Yamaha. It doesnt support mqa at all. What will my Yamaha play then? Pure flac? Lossy unfolded mqa? And what is it playing now?
WiiM Mini will output 88.2/96kHz to Yamaha. Now WiiM Mini supports Master quality and can output up to 24/48kHz.

Back