Airplay : AAC (256ko) or ALAC (900ko) ?

sudest

I'm using Wiim amp related to a Mac by ethernet.

The "help center" gave me the following advise, as they are 2 ways to listen trough Airplay

On the Mac, i choose :

SOUND............AIRPLAY

Internal HP........WIIM Amp........= AAC (256 Ko)

WIIM Amp.........MAC................= ALAC (900 Ko) 16/44

... And it works !

Last edited:
What’s meant by “internal HP”?

In terms of Apple Music and Airplay 2 bit perfect playback of CD quality tracks, please see point 3 under “on MacOS” in this oft quoted link

What’s meant by “internal HP”?

In terms of Apple Music and Airplay 2 bit perfect playback of CD quality tracks, please see point 3 under “on MacOS” in this oft quoted link
Internal HP means that i choose to hear music trough the HP of the Mac

Plus I guess the 900kbps is purely that AAC stream decompressed for airplay transmission so the quality won’t be any better unless “the system-wide AirPlay device is set” as per the link I provided.

Plus I guess the 900kbps is purely that AAC stream decompressed for airplay transmission so the quality won’t be any better unless “the system-wide AirPlay device is set” as per the link I provided.
Sorry for my limitations in English. Hp is speakers. For what concern the text, it is a bit difficult for me. So if i have files that i recorded in alac on my mac, they become aac trough airplay ?

Sorry for my limitations in English. Hp is speakers. For what concern the text, it is a bit difficult for me. So if i have files that i recorded in alac on my mac, they become aac trough airplay ?
Yeah, that link I gave you above explains that Apple Music typically converts lossless CD quality tracks to lossy 256kbps AAC files over Airplay 2, except in the particular instance on a Mac where “the system-wide AirPlay device is set“.

However, if you use the beta WiiM Home app on your Mac, I believe it will send ALAC files stored on your MAC wirelessly to the WiiM Amp without this conversion.

Also, if you install a UPNP server package like Minimserver on your Mac and point it to where those ALAC files are located, then you can use the iOS mobile WiiM Home app to control playback of those files on your Amp, again without any loss of quality.

Yeah, that link I gave you above explains that Apple Music typically converts lossless CD quality tracks to lossy 256kbps AAC files over Airplay 2, except in the particular instance on a Mac where “the system-wide AirPlay device is set“.

However, if you use the beta WiiM Home app on your Mac, I believe it will send ALAC files stored on your MAC wirelessly to the WiiM Amp without this conversion.

Also, if you install a UPNP server package like Minimserver on your Mac and point it to where those ALAC files are located, then you can use the iOS mobile WiiM Home app to control playback of those files on your Amp, again without any loss of quality.
Thank you for all you rexplanations

Back