another power supply thread

Hollywood

Major Contributor
I see a lot of discussion about power supplies.

The WiiM's use a USB adapter that plugs into a wall outlet and has a USB-A output. Is the output one voltage, or do some some pins for example carry 5 volts and some 12 volts?

There are so many of these adapters out there that many new devices do not even come with one because they expect you will already have one.

Are these adapters universal? I realize your P/S has to produce enough current to power your device, but other then that is the voltage the same among other adapters? Is a higher current adapter bad, or will the device just use what it needs?

Basically are these universal and interchangeable? For the purpose of my question, I am NOT asking about the technologies that make a P/S "less noisy", "more stable", or "sound better", just about them being universal (or not) and whether you can damage a device by using an adapter that is different.

Thanks.

I’d also stick to the specs in your device manual e.g. for the Pro, it states 5v, 1.5A or higher. Don’t feed it 12v as per the linked post above.

This may partially address your question ;)

Thread 'Wiim mini main board pbc'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-mini-main-board-pbc.3344/
No, it doesn't, but it is actually what prompted me to ask the question. I didn't want to hijack that thread though.

I assume some of the power supplies that WiiM users are trying have wall warts or dedicated enclosures. and could be designed in many ways with different voltages, polarities, AC -DC, connectors, etc. Of course just because it might have a USBC connector to plug into your device does NOT mean it will work.

But... specifically reffering to wall outlet to USB-A adapters, are these universal or not. Are some one voltage and others another voltage?

Twice I had an issue. Once I wanted to see how my Mini would sound connected to my boom box. I used an RCA to stereo mini plug, and powered it from the boom box USB charging port. It sounded terrible with hiss, hum, and static. I used the WiiM adapter and the sound was/is great!

Another time I wanted to see how a WiiM Pro would sound with some powered speakers I had. I pulled a Pro off a high shelf from my garage setup, but instead of disconnecting everything as it was going to be put back, I grabbed a spare USB adapter. This was a long time after I tried the boom box, and again the sound was really bad. I climbed up in the garage to get the original adapter and it sounded great. ..again.

I upgraded my system to all WiiM Pros for the Squeezebox compatibility. I later went to do something with my Mini and it was dead, no lights, no response, even swapping with another WiiM power supply. WiiM promptly replaced the Mini. Thanks you!

In the thread @Brantome linked to (thanks anyway), that user also seemed to blow up his WiiM.

That is why I am wondering if is is bad to use another USB power supply or not (or are they supposed to be universal)?

Thanks

I’d also stick to the specs in your device manual e.g. for the Pro, it states 5v, 1.5A or higher. Don’t feed it 12v as per the linked post above.
Do some Wall outlet to USB-A adapters put out 12v instead of 5v?

Do some Wall outlet to USB-A adapters put out 12v instead of 5v?
Many of them (if they came with current hardware) are able to put out different voltages between 5 V and 20 V! No different pins, the USB-C connector only has 4 of them in total (edit: BS. message still true).

But they don't (or at least shouldn't) put out anything above 5 V without prior negotiation with the powered device. So, if you use any smartphone power adapter you should always be on the save side, as the WiiM will never request voltages above 5 V.

Many of them (if they came with current hardware) are able to put out different voltages between 5 V and 20 V! No different pins, the USB-C connector only has 4 of them in total (edit: BS. message still true).

But they don't (or at least shouldn't) put out anything above 5 V without prior negotiation with the powered device. So, if you use any smartphone power adapter you should always be on the save side, as the WiiM will never request voltages above 5 V.
Sounds like a luck of the draw in many cases. Again, just talking about adapters that plug into the wall and have a USB-A output, are there any best and worst practices we should be aware of?

Thanks for your reply.

Sounds like a luck of the draw in many cases.
Well, not really. As confirmed by androidauthority.com, there is no danger of frying your WiiM device by connecting it to a proper USB charger. The same might not be true for a "high-end linear power supply" that just happens to use a USB C plug for convenience.

Well, not really. As confirmed by androidauthority.com, there is no danger of frying your WiiM device by connecting it to a proper USB charger. The same might not be true for a "high-end linear power supply" that just happens to use a USB C plug for convenience.
I don't remember exactly, but I would have probably used the original WiiM adapter, maybe an old Roku adapter, or an Amazon 2.1 amp replacement adapter (I had a 4-pack). Seems like none of those should have been a problem, and it sounds like the Mini "just" went bad. It happens. Glad it does not appear that I did anything wrong and I am glad WiiM stepped up!

Thanks!

Back