Any DSD features on Pro Plus?

DSD is a completely pointless format that Sony invented for copy protection at SACD.

That is not accurate, DSD was invented as an archival format, originally intended as a solution for digitizing the analog tape masters owned by Sony Music. It was not at that time envisioned as a consumer format, though it did become one thereafter, but the original purpose/use was as a means of archiving a lot of aging and deteriorating analog master tapes.

That is not accurate, DSD was invented as an archival format, originally intended as a solution for digitizing the analog tape masters owned by Sony Music. It was not at that time envisioned as a consumer format, though it did become one thereafter, but the original purpose/use was as a means of archiving a lot of aging and deteriorating analog master tapes.
Right, but this early honest approach soon created a sideline "second valorization" which absolutely makes sense from their business view.
Still listening too and purchasing SACDs, mainly because the gear to play them is still here, but the increased sound quality I was never able to identify. But it seems to be my nature as hunter and collector 😉
And of course the point with misleading advertising is correct. For me this format is irrelevant and senseless for streaming. Not so much work to put the disc into the player. But that is of course my very private approach and not the scale.
Have a good time @ everyone!

Last edited:
Right, but this early honest approach soon created a sideline "second valorization" which absolutely makes sense from their business view.
Still listening too and purchasing SACDs, mainly because the gear to play them is still here, but the increased sound quality I was never able to identify. But it seems to be my nature as hunter and collector 😉
And of course the point with misleading advertising is correct. For me this format is irrelevant and senseless for streaming. Not so much work to put the disc into the player. But that is of course my very private approach and not the scale.
Have a good time @ everyone!
With a whole house audio system it is unfortunately not practical to insert the disc into the player. The player is physically much too far away from the listening position A disc player is also not made to handle multiple zones, either, so you have to be really creative with the distribution system . Whereas streamers like CCAs and Wiim can handle these things. I used to have a 5 disc SACD player hooked up to amps set to "multi channel stereo" mode to play onto all the various zones at once. I controlled the system with an RF remote. This was before streamers appeared that could be controled with smartphones. The SACD changer mechanism failed. I went through 4 changers before I gave up. I still have a working single disc SACD player (ubp-x800) in my home theater. So, yes, I want DSD streamers for the WHA system.

Re: the sound quality, I could definitely differentiate redbook CD from the SACD stereo layer, at least in my 20s when I was first exposed to DSD. I believe I still can in my 40s, but it's more difficult to tell now. Between hires PCM and DSD64, I don't think I could tell the difference. I can also tell MP3 apart from lossless. It's not that hard when you know how the MP3 algorithm works. Basically the version with more bass and less detailed highs is always the MP3 version ;) Given just one version to listen to, though, I could never tell what it is.

@madbrain
Last words before leaving and tackling the motorway.
Always my posts are related to my living and listening situation. So all this multi room theme f.e. is not mine. Our "multiroom" is a Sonos soundbar for the TV and a Sonos Era in the kitchen.
My ears are 72 years old 😉 and related to this I downgraded during the last months nearly everything in hifi dramatically. Also my players are never more than 2m away and my listening position is always the same. But if I would take care of my cardiologist I should increase the distance 😉
So it is an absolute different and incomparable situation.
Take care and stay healthy and wealthy!

Absolutely, and they were competing with the DVD consortium (led by Toshiba among others) for the next form of physical media, to rescue the loss of the expiring Compact Disc patent royalties.

Not so much work to put the disc into the player.
It's also now much easier and cheaper to rip SACDs to files that play over your network (local streaming) to a DAC, far easier/cheaper than the original PS3 method was.

Yeah, strange how so many of us remember minidisc fondly but it didn't last. I remember getting a minidisc player installed in my first Audi back in '96(?) ...

Yeah, strange how so many of us remember minidisc fondly but it didn't last. I remember getting a minidisc player installed in my first Audi back in '96(?) ...
So much better than every cassette deck. Maybe WiiM.....in the Ultra....revitalize.........no! 😉

I am able to get DSD files to play from Asset uPnP via the Pro Plus' digital outputs:

As DSD
Serve .dsf files as DoP since I have a DoP compatible DAC. I did this for just the Wiim control point since I have other streamers that can handle the files natively. However, as another member noted in another thread, I get a loud crack/pop at the beginning of each track. I have filed a support ticket.

As WAV
Serve .dsf files as WAV, resulting in a 24/88 render. No cracks/pops.

As LPCM
No dice - my DAC apparently can't do it.

My end game would be to have playlists of mixed file types just play with little to no down-sampling. This would be a win for Wiim since they're already ahead of Bluesound and Sonos in file compatibility.

Back