Anyway to control Pro Plus from Android phone/tablets, etc without home WiFi turned on?

RAAM

Major Contributor
I choose to run a highly filtered environment to live in and prefer to not use WiFi if I can. I know I can shield devices to limit the output of the signal to a low level and that might be my only option but if you know a way please let me know:)

Thanks,
Rick

I choose to run a highly filtered environment to live in and prefer to not use WiFi if I can. I know I can shield devices to limit the output of the signal to a low level and that might be my only option but if you know a way please let me know:)

Thanks,
Rick
You should be able to turn off your phone's wifi and mobile data, turn on its hotspot, set up the wiim using that hotspot, and then be able to play music stored on your phone to the wiim.
You should also be able to connect a tablet to the same hotspot and play music stored on the tablet to the wiim.

Thanks for the help:)

I did forget to mention I am streaming from Qobuz, nothing stored on the phone or tablet yet. While playing a song I turned off the WiFi at my router and could no longer change the song, etc. I will try your method and see what happens.

Thanks again!
Rick

A USB Ethernet adapter lets you connect your android device to your LAN.
If your Wiim device is connected via Ethernet you can turn off WiFi.

Thanks, that is very cool, will get one right away! I am going to buy a used Android tablet to keep on my desk beside the WIIM and DAC and little highly modded Baby Sophia tube amp. Will look nice on the 2cm Brazilian green soapstone desk top, same material going on counter tops, vanity, island...in our full time RV.

My router/switch only has 4 ports, I need two more, going to get a

Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L​

switch, good ones for well under $100 on "bay, very clean circuit, then have a low powered WiFi on one of the ports, only turned on when needed.

Parked by 7 "smart meters", fully shielding from them as well as the whole rest of out unit, top to bottom, lots of work, not a ton of money, covering everything with metal siding and Show Sugi Ban burnt woood(hot and nasty job preparing and installing it but sure looks good and class A fire retardant)

If you want to stream without WiFi and without the USB Ethernet adapter, you can stream from the Amazon music app via Alexa Cast to your Wiim device.

Might sound a bit preachy here so if offended please accept my apologies, just sometimes I feel I need to speak up a little.

I do not use anything Amazon except Kindle, never use Alexa or others, no listening devices in our home or vehicles, phone not used much, location hardly ever turned on, Firefox with duckduckgo for searches, private email accounts, have used a VPN but not really needed now that I know of. All high CRI LED lighting with very high frequency PWM dimmers or just plain switches as needed. I worked on high end electronics, military, for 20 years, been a hobbyist and study many things in my lifetime. I do not fall prey, at least very often, to conspiracy theories but many that the mainstream think are theories are in fact very close if not entirely true. Never on social media, just a few forums and not that often, I use the internet for a tool and a bit entertainment, music and books mostly. No GMO, as pure a diet as we can eat, highly filtered water and air(clean air where we live sure helps) and I do not work out as get plenty of exercise building things, hiking, etc, 71 and in great shape and rarely sick from anything except when the grandkids visit, they seem to carry the nastiest bugs:( I was exposed to many toxic substances over the years including sleeping and working VERY close to a certain type of warhead and power plants so I am extra careful now so I can enjoy my health and retirement with an amazing woman, great doggy and live in a beautiful place:)

I just re read all that and I might sound like a nut, perhaps I am but I am a very happy and healthy one if so:)

Rick

Think of all the containments in the air you did not have breath in that submarine.

It was not a sub and I did go outside as often as I could to get away from everything and everyone and get fresh air.

re the ethernet to usb adapter, I can see that working for a computer (same as using a hub/dock with hdmi, vga, usb and ethernet connections that has a single usb c connection to a computer), but I'm really not sure that plugging one in to the usb socket in a phone/tablet will give the device internet access.
Very happy to be proved wrong though!

Last edited:

Thanks,
Rick

Forgive me for my stupid question.

Don't you use Wi-Fi in your home? If not, I don't understand why you don't want your WiiM to connect to Wi-Fi. If you want to isolate your WiiM from your home network, you can think of a way to create an SSID for guests.

Forgive me for my stupid question.

Don't you use Wi-Fi in your home? If not, I don't understand why you don't want your WiiM to connect to Wi-Fi. If you want to isolate your WiiM from your home network, you can think of a way to create an SSID for guests.
Seems to me that internet / ethernet is ok, but would prefer to have wifi disabled as much as possible.

Seems to me that internet / ethernet is ok, but would prefer to have wifi disabled as much as possible.
In that case, he only need to connect the router and WiiM with a LAN cable. Could it be a matter of distance? 🤔

I may not understand it at all. 😅

Mr Ee,
Exactly, I Prefer the cleanest environment I can make happen even if I might be getting a bit overboard on it, or not.......:)We have some pretty close neighbors as we live in a RV/Mobile home park(exceptionally beautiful area outside of town and on a nice river with great mountain views and lots of wildlife)

But, if I cannot get the USB to Ethernet to work on a tablet what else could I do?

I plan to use a good switch without WiFi but perhaps there is a low power one I could use on one of the ports, shield the WiFi signal to only allow enough to work, etc...there has to be a way to limit exposure.

Rick

Mr Ee,
Exactly, I Prefer the cleanest environment I can make happen even if I might be getting a bit overboard on it, or not.......:)We have some pretty close neighbors as we live in a RV/Mobile home park(exceptionally beautiful area outside of town and on a nice river with great mountain views and lots of wildlife)

But, if I cannot get the USB to Ethernet to work on a tablet what else could I do?

I plan to use a good switch without WiFi but perhaps there is a low power one I could use on one of the ports, shield the WiFi signal to only allow enough to work, etc...there has to be a way to limit exposure.

Rick
Why don't you leverage very restrictive VLANs, WPA3, and 802.1x everywhere on your network? If someone is after you specifically, turning off WiFi isn't going to save you.

In that case, he only need to connect the router and WiiM with a LAN cable. Could it be a matter of distance? 🤔

I may not understand it at all. 😅
But something needs to control the wiim...
And that's normally a phone / tablet, on wifi.

I only have a wired network, just one computer, one TV which is rarely on and has no monitoring capabilities(as in watching us, listening in) The Wiim, etc, I suppose I will hook my wife's laptop eventually when I finish her desk but she might not ever turn it on since she is happy using her tablet. Not one single smart device in our home that is enabled.

But something needs to control the wiim...
And that's normally a phone / tablet, on wifi.
OK, I understood. Thank you.
But in that case, I think it's easier to connect the phone to a USB DAC. 🤔

I could but then I would not be using the WiiM streamer....I guess I prefer to find hard ways to do seemingly simple things:)

Back