balance and mono

canard

Major Contributor
it was already expressed.
but the precise balance function with also a mono function would be welcome ...
(will balance the fairly sensitive level differences on the analog output L-R... the mono function is very useful in this case..
will depend on each machine , on mine it is sensitive)
it seems to me that at one time it was in the roadmap...

for the "pro" too i imagine

Last edited:
it was already expressed.
but the precise balance function with also a mono function would be welcome ...
(will balance the fairly sensitive level differences on the analog output L-R... the mono function is very useful in this case..
will depend on each machine , on mine it is sensitive)
it seems to me that at one time it was in the roadmap...

for the "pro" too i imagine
Do you mean this mono setting? Screenshot_20230227-230511.png

Balance control should be on your amp not on a source device

why?
(and many amp don t have balance now ..
example..
in analogic not really qualitatif
there is a difference in level on my mini ... will allow if I was precise to rebalance ...
in the case of the balance on the amp will unbalance the other sources or will require modification in each case.)
ps
I just pointed out that two small functions that can be useful....
no big theories...

Last edited:
why?
(and many amp don t have balance now ..
example..
in analogic not really qualitatif
there is a difference in level on my mini ... will allow if I was precise to rebalance ...
in the case of the balance on the amp will unbalance the other sources or will require modification in each case.)
ps
I just pointed out that two small functions that can be useful....
no big theories...
Do you have a balance control on a turntable, a tuner or a CD player?
A purist will tell you that you shouldn't even use EQ in the digital domain if you want Bit Perfect sound. The bitstream should be untouched until it gets to a DAC.
The case for Mono is slightly different

It's on the preamp usually. So where is it when Pro works as a preamp connected directly to the poweramp?
Neither the Mini or Pro can honestly be considered as audiophile grade products. My guess is 90% will be connected to an integrated amp.

Neither the Mini or Pro can honestly be considered as audiophile grade products. My guess is 90% will be connected to an integrated amp.
I've seen questions about the quality of digital volume control. Just because of a case when WiiM works as a preamp.

Maybe thats a place for my question, i don't want to create another thread.
Does anyone has an idea, or even better knowledge, how the "Mono" choice in the audio settings works? Simply same signal to both channels? Maybe WiiM is reading this too.
Or does anyone from time to time uses it and will share his opinions?
For my vinyl stuff and my old treasures i have special options for mono recordings. Cartridges, pre, transformers. My beloved E4000 has the old-fashioned Mono switch. The Marantz and the NAD not.

Reason for my question is that i stay for a few days out at the sea with my small setup and tried this morning mono on and mono off. (Many of the mono versions are available on Qobuz.) No listenable difference for me. So, what shall be the benefit of this option in WiiM?

So reason is f.e. making it possible to split to two different (mono or some bt or Amazon or Google stuff) speakers and have not only one half of the stereo?

Last edited:
is the use of balance + mono which is often very useful .. but hey no balance ...
(I had suggested this thinking this little accessory, was not so difficult to integrate)
but there are many other more useful and urgent things to improve the use of wim home etc.
and audio rating the eq mode is still wobbly...!!

yes lots of small uses possible .. see also to treat a subwoofer etc

I was in a more hifi use ...
the balance + mono is a way, if the balance allows very fine increments, a fine balancing of the speakers ..
see the mono only for the positioning of the speakers...
the mono function is often really practical
etc etc

Back