Can buffer adjustment shorten the time to start playback?

Wiimer

Major Contributor
@WiiM Team, @WiiM Support

Hi.
On Amazon Music, it takes an average of about 6 seconds from the first time I press the play button (and next track button) to when playback begins.

If this is due to the buffer, can it be reduced by adjusting the buffer time?

If WiiM has features, I may be able to adjust it to suit my internet environment.

Thanks in advance. 😊

Do you experience this with the WiiM Home or Amazon Music app? Does the same happen just using the Amazon Music app playing to your phone/tablet?

I feel the Amazon Music app has been getting poorer of late - I don't know why it should take so long when loading and/or selecting functions :(

Do you experience this with the WiiM Home or Amazon Music app? Does the same happen just using the Amazon Music app playing to your phone/tablet?

I feel the Amazon Music app has been getting poorer of late - I don't know why it should take so long when loading and/or selecting functions :(

When playing Amazon music through my phone's speakers, there is no delay (as does Bluetooth). Press the button to start playback instantly. The next track buttons are similar.

There is only a delay in playback in WHA and AlexaCast. That hasn't changed since I started using the mini.

Also, for voice control, it feels like it takes a little longer via Wiim than on the Echo device.

Sure, AMA doesn't improve easily, but now I don't have a choice 😭

I suspect AM's back-end servers are simply slow when casting. Certainly Qobuz is refreshingly quick in comparison.

I suspect AM's back-end servers are simply slow when casting. Certainly Qobuz is refreshingly quick in comparison.
Certainly, I was thinking about that possibility too. I've given feedback to WiiM several times, but I don't know the root cause, so I'd be happy to get some information from you here.

By the way, when playing on Wiim from the alexa app, it takes about 4 seconds. It's a bit faster than Alexacast. 🤔

Using Chromecast in the AMA is a little more comfortable, so I'd be happy if Alexacast and WHA are just as fast, but this may be an impossible wish. 😢

Hi.
On Amazon Music, it takes an average of about 6 seconds from the first time I press the play button (and next track button) to when playback begins.

If WiiM has features, I may be able to adjust it to suit my internet environment.

Thanks in advance. 😊
Hello. Is this on a phone app or desktop? Clearing cache in the app and desktop may help but it may also be as pointed out server issues.

didn't a user in another thread wish there was more of a delay or something because the 12 volt trigger took some time for the amp to start and be able to play music so he didn't miss the beginning of the song?

didn't a user in another thread wish there was more of a delay or something because the 12 volt trigger took some time for the amp to start and be able to play music so he didn't miss the beginning of the song?
Certainly, there were such opinions.🙂

You may be able to increase the delay by adjusting the buffer (I'm not sure, but ZEN stream seems to have this feature). However, I feel that the issue of triggers is another discussion. 🙂

Thank you.

Different issue due to the amp having a slow start up time

FWIW no such delay with either of my WiiMs and Amazon Music.

Thank you for the useful information.

I would like to ask you.
When playing on Alexacast, how many seconds does the spinning wheel appear when you press "next track button" on the Now playing screen?

If the speed varies greatly between countries and time zones, the buffer may not be relevant because Amazon's servers are the culprit. (As @ratty said)

Thanks in advance. 🙂

IMG_20230914_003835.jpg

At least 3 secs here in the UK, with cover art following in the next second or so.
Thank you for your valuable time. 😉
Strangely, when I do the same operation in WHA, the cover art switches first.

There may be something wrong with my home internet or router, so I'll look into it.

I received the following response from the WiiM team about buffers.

------
Under regular network conditions, the buffering time from Amazon Music to standard playback is approximately 4-5 seconds. We value your input and are actively considering enhancements for future releases.
------

Thank you so much 😉

I received the following response from the WiiM team about buffers.

------
Under regular network conditions, the buffering time from Amazon Music to standard playback is approximately 4-5 seconds. We value your input and are actively considering enhancements for future releases.
------

Thank you so much 😉

With my 3 secs, I must be getting special treatment ;):ROFLMAO:

Just purchased a Wiim Pro Plus and using it via Ethernet with an Audiolab 6000A and Monitor Audio Silver RX8s. Using line out and optical from the Wiim as a test with the Wiim Hone App and Amazon Music Unlimited. Sound is fantastic. It is taking quite a long tone to play a track from when I actually press play though.

Is this a standard thing because of the servers / streaming? Or can I do anything about it? Playing from the actual Amazon Music app on my iPhone and using Airplay to the Audiolab using its BT selection, there is hardly any delay.

Back