Chromecast Audio

delage

I was wondering how Wiim have been able to include Chromecast Audio support in Pros. Google canned the CCA years back as it would diminish sales of their more full featured devices (ie, people could cheaply bring their old hi-fis back to life rather than buy new Google tech).

How have Wiim been able to include CCA capability? Have they licensed it or just built something themselves that is compatible? What's stopping Wiim from selling a new CCA for £30 for example?

You could ask the same about other manufactures, e.g. cambridge audio.
It's strange that all sorts of streaming apps support chromecast, yet google themselves canned it.
CCAs still seem to sell 2nd hand for a premium.
Maybe google just didn't want to do the hardware side of things any longer?

I know quite a number of people streaming pure audio content through e.g. a Chromecast Carbon attached to their TV (well audio plus some cover art or other metadata). Google might have abandoned the product Chromecast Audio, but the protocol is all well and alive.

I can only guess, but I suspect that google simply killed the hardware, since keeping the api costs basically nothing, but lets them collect all that casting data, it seems silly for them to shut it down.

I can only guess, but I suspect that google simply killed the hardware, since keeping the api costs basically nothing, but lets them collect all that casting data, it seems silly for them to shut it down.
As long as it calls Mom and Dad at home in Mountain View every way is ok for them.

Back