Convolver for Digital Room Correction and EQ fir filters.

pvog

I would like to see support for convolution with a convolver like BruteFir on the WiiM Pro.
This can be used to load fir filter wav files from full room correction software like drc or Acourate.
But also as an easy way to load more complex eq filters from REW.

This would make WiiM Pro a very capable and cheap solution for full digital room correction.

Oh yes, this would be WONDERFUL!
It would be good to know if this is technically possible with the kind of processing power that is available in the Pro.

Oh yes, this would be WONDERFUL!
It would be good to know if this is technically possible with the kind of processing power that is available in the Pro.
Even many years ago a pc could handle this with ease. So my guess is that a very low-end current cpu should be able to handle this. But only WiiM knows for sure of course.

One option is to leverage the open source implementations used in Safari and Chrome browsers. They, and other modern web browsers, implement this specification: Web Audio API. The C++ source code shows that they both use the same fast, zero-latency algorithm based on partitioning and FFT.

Last edited:
One option is to leverage the open source implementations used in Safari and Chrome browsers. They, and other modern web browsers, implement this specification: Web Audio API. The C++ source code shows that they both use the same fast, zero-latency algorithm based on partitioning and FFT.
Or the open source BruteFIR

I think this would be nice but BruteFIR is not super user-friendly. Being able to upload a Room EQ Wizard output biquad file would make it accessible to a dramatically larger audience.

I also love to see an easy way to handle the room correction with a smartphone via the Wiim app. It will be a game changer for music lovers

I also love to see an easy way to handle the room correction with a smartphone via the Wiim app. It will be a game changer for music lovers
Exactly... HouseCurve (IOS only) gets you halfway there with measurement and EQ filter generation. If you could just share the output file from HC to your WiiM app, we'd be cooking with gas.

This would be a massive deal for me... Filters phase linearisation is the one thing I can't do with the behringer ultradrive im using for crossover and EQ connected to my wiim.

Totally agree. Is anyone able to do this via PC or Mobile in some kind of roundabout way? Roon works, but ideally I wouldn't want to pay for yet another music subscription service. Tried Audirvana, but it's buggy as hell and only worked for about a day. If we could do this via WiiM I would be set.

this via PC or Mobile in some kind of roundabout way
Daphile can do it and LMS has a plugin (squeezedsp?) now that does it fairly readily I think. But yeah it'd be great to do it in the WiiM!

Yes I wish too a new feature with room correction throughout built in and calibrated iPhone microphone, s
User friendly but game changing, and possibility to download corrective file from Rew for advanced users

Last edited:
So am i to understand the current beta test for room correction (big props for this btw) doesn't allow fir filter convolution files to be loaded?

So am i to understand the current beta test for room correction (big props for this btw) doesn't allow for filter convolution files to be

I don't have the beta yet but from what I understand it works like HouseCurve and uses the mic of the iPhone to get the measured frequency response of the speakers and creates 8 or 10 peq filters to correct the response to be as close es possible to a target response.

I get that this is an easy way for WiiM to get a complete solution.

I also would have preferred support for convolution with fir filters that we can upload to the app for a more granular time based correction.

I get that this is an easy way for WiiM to get a complete solution.
Got you, thanks for confirming.. yes that was my interpretation too. For my particular use case the PEQ is reasonably secondary since i do that in the downstream (behringer) digital crossover but even a small number of WiiM taps available for FIR filters via uploaded convolution files was really the killer feature i was coveting also. Time based correction as you say. We live in hope however!

I’ll admit I have scant knowledge of convolution and fir filters, but I’d guess WiiM products are a while away from including features such as those you describe.

FIR filter capability via convolution files is reasonably well supported in PI based streamer solutions these days... Picore player, volumio, i think Moode? .. And some minidsp products, Roon of course. I would imagine the limitation may be processing power since FIR filters are often offloaded to DSP chips and im not sure if the pro/plus has one? It would be good to know from WiiM if the hardware would support a limited number of FIR taps?

we have never had answers from engineers or skills from wiim on these last 2 years concerning this type of peq questions etc etc.
just the marketing communication department intervenes...

(just that we can observe the absence of dsp)

FIR filter capability via convolution files is reasonably well supported in PI based streamer solutions these days... Picore player, volumio, i think Moode? .. And some minidsp products, Roon of course. I would imagine the limitation may be processing power since FIR filters are often offloaded to DSP chips and im not sure if the pro/plus has one? It would be good to know from WiiM if the hardware would support a limited number of FIR taps?
I guess that sort of confirms what was in my mind - it’s not exactly a mainstream/consumer market feature. It could be said that WiiM products have been aimed at those who don’t delve that deeply into the mechanics of sound reproduction, and who are already bamboozled about what to do with the PEQ feature. At least the upcoming room correction feature is very simple to use and you don’t need to understand the result other than listening to it.

I guess that sort of confirms what was in my mind - it’s not exactly a mainstream/consumer market feature. It could be said that WiiM products have been aimed at those who don’t delve that deeply into the mechanics of sound reproduction, and who are already bamboozled about what to do with the PEQ feature. At least the upcoming room correction feature is very simple to use and you don’t need to understand the result other than listening to it.
it is indeed very public and respectable... the irony is that it can nevertheless lead to certain difficulties like this story of acquisition-microphone for auto correction... ;-)

Back