Differences in DACs

@Maurizio
Do you have a chance to try the Cambridge M200 DACMagic?
A friend of mine runs exact the same Pioneer (Vintage) combi as you and he loves it!
I own this DAC in my Cambridge setup with an iFi Streamer. And yesterday I tried it with the Pro and my E4000. Thats were this thread started.
My wife still believes one need only a single setup. I disagree!
As you may have noticed 😉 I am not to impress by graphs, but by build quality, look and listening. To decide "better" for or against a DAC is not my core skill. I agree in differences. And I like boxes, try and error. But in the last two decades I didn't even find a single DAC I rated "unlistenable".

@Maurizio
Do you have a chance to try the Cambridge M200 DACMagic?
A friend of mine runs exact the same Pioneer (Vintage) combi as you and he loves it!
I own this DAC in my Cambridge setup with an iFi Streamer. And yesterday I tried it with the Pro and my E4000. Thats were this thread started.
My wife still believes one need only a single setup. I disagree!
As you may have noticed 😉 I am not to impress by graphs, but by build quality, look and listening. To decide "better" for or against a DAC is not my core skill. I agree in differences. And I like boxes, try and error. But in the last two decades I didn't even find a single DAC I rated "unlistenable".
"I am not to impress by graphs, but by build quality, look and listening"
I think exactly like you :) ;)

@Maurizio
Sorry, off-toppic.
Where in Italy do you live? My daughter-in-law's family is from Matera. End of August we will be there again for two weeks.

Can anyone suggest a DAC, that doesn't require a bank loan, with a sound as detailed and with the uncut or dull high frequencies as the D50s?

Topping E50 via its TRS output.
It sounds even better with more weight on the mid-bass region.
Also, it is cheaper... ;)

@Maurizio
Sorry, off-toppic.
Where in Italy do you live? My daughter-in-law's family is from Matera. End of August we will be there again for two weeks.
I live in Liguria; La Spezia is the town. Matera is, more or less, 815 Km to the south. And you? Where are you from?

I live in Liguria; La Spezia is the town. Matera is, more or less, 815 Km to the south. And you? Where are you from?
Born in Düsseldorf, 71 years ago. We live still here for the winter half and have a second home at the North Sea.
Retired from business in 2019 and handed over to my son. So enough time for the bright side of life. As long as the world will allow that 😉

Topping E50 via its TRS output.
It sounds even better with more weight on the mid-bass region.
Also, it is cheaper... ;)
Thanks for your reply. I already have Topping E50, but......it ended up in its box. It didn't convince me. His biggest flaw, for me, it's about the lack of depth in the soundstage and also has a cut-off at the extreme of Highs scale . Everything seems a bit stuck in one layer. Honestly i prefer how E30 sounds. Better soundstage depth.

Born in Düsseldorf, 71 years ago. We live still here for the winter half and have a second home at the North Sea.
Retired from business in 2019 and handed over to my son. So enough time for the bright side of life. As long as the world will allow that 😉
Hi @Achim1811
Pleased to meet you. So we are almost the same age I am 72 years old.
Another coincidence is that I too have been retired since 2019.
I remember that many colleagues advised me against doing it because I would be bored.
Well, LONG LIVE BORING, I have so many pleasant things to do that my last problem is boredom ;) . I just hope the good Lord gives me plenty more time to be bored. :)

Maybe once again wrong place, but my Dutch friend Hans posted a new video on YT. I do not always agree with him but he knows what's going on. His presentation is, uhm.....old-school, and many will call it dull or boring ;)
But anyway a lot of his opinions are worth hearing.
Have a very good weekend all!

Last edited:
Maybe once again wrong place, but my Dutch friend Hans posted a new video on YT. I do not always agree with him but he knows what's going on. His presentation is, uhm.....old-school, and many will call it dull or boring ;)

Ok, tomorrow I'll watch the video for sure and....if I haven't died of boredom I'll let you know my impressions. :giggle:
A very good weekend to you too

Hi
I saw your friend's video. He takes it very far and is perhaps a bit verbose, but he certainly says things that I agree with.
Happy Sunday :)

How happy it will be depends highly on my football team this afternoon 😉
Take care!

Back