WiiM Pro & headphones

Achim1811

Major Contributor
"You are obsessed with headphones" my wife says. And she is right.

Since the WiiM is only in use with different headphone-amps/dacs I am playing around. Today it was kind of a cheap(est) trick. Reason is simply that most of the headphone sections in affordable integrated amps are waste of the socket.

A Pro-Ject HeadBox S2 was here and I first picked the RCA out from the WiiM to the RCA in of the S2. Partnered with a Beyerdynamic 990 it was already simply brilliant.

Next instead the WiiM's internal DAC the cheap SMSL C100 into the S2. No listenable (as always: for my ears!) difference. I felt in fact a little advantage for the internal. Again with the 990.

Last try replacing the C100 with the Cambridge Dacmagic M200. Even with this 600 € DAC the difference to WiiM's internal dac is extremely small (and for me not worth the price difference in such a setup). No difference also when using the headphone socket of the DAC. With the 990 again. For me another proof that the internal is much better than often asserted.

If one likes listening with (different) headphones and accepts it as a totally different listening than that with speakers, adding the S2 (140 €) could be great fun. May be a reason for a second Pro. But of course one can loop in the S2 between the WiiM and an amp.

Last edited:
I have been considering a Project Head Box S2 Digital Input Headphone Amplifier - USB, Coax, Optical IN - 6.35 phones and RCA out

With all due respect, how much do you think age and loss of frequency range in our hearing plays a part? The reason I ask is that the other day I used the WiiM Mini’s aux output (I.e. using its internal DAC) into my Linn amp’s line level input and was surprised to find it didn’t sound that bad at all despite what might have been expected. Maybe that’s in part due to how fine an amp the MDSM is and how old my ears are, not to mention my hearing aids :p:D

With all due respect, how much do you think age and loss of frequency range in our hearing plays a part? The reason I ask is that the other day I used the WiiM Mini’s aux output (I.e. using its internal DAC) into my Linn amp’s line level input and was surprised to find it didn’t sound that bad at all despite what might have been expected. Maybe that’s in part due to how fine an amp the MDSM is and how old my ears are, not to mention my hearing aids :p:D
I have to agree.
Headphone listening has changed. Unfortunately you can’t ignore the convenience of Bluetooth Headphones - not buds but proper headphones Bose QC35 or B&W P7 in my case.
In my Living Room I have a full HiFi - Raspberry Pi into Audioquest Dragonfly into headphone amp which is connected to a Bluetooth transmitter. Avantree Oasis something.
I am aware that the Bluetooth hop is the weak link but it is just so convenient.
I do have a portable Pi with battery pack also with Audioquest Dragonfly that I can use with wired B&W P7s if I wish and yes it sounds better but I have to carry the Pi and Battery Pack around in that case.

Edit.
I too am obsessed by headphones. At last count 7 pairs for various purposes. No buds.

I am also absolutely aware that my 71 years old ears are no more on the zenith of their performance capability 😉 but comparing is still fun because the gear changes, the ears stay. So it is set in relation.
All my tries with BT ends at the same point. I do not like it, but I know I do not give them a fair chance. Sure my own psychological problem. But I wait for weak performance and have fun the moment I can say: As I knew they failed! My personal madness, sure. Also all those ANC gimmicks can not be good for the music.
Regarding to my actual living situation a cable does not really effect my convenience. The times I want to listen to music are not longer while walking or being in a gym.
In certain situations hps suit me better than speakers. F.e. reading the score while listening to more complex music. Concentration on and identifying of single instruments are so much easier. Afterwards I know what speakers have to reproduce.
My only bt use is a pair of airpods 3. But not for music, for news on the ipad only.
As soon as Qualcom or anyone else releases a lossless bt codec I surely will have another try. But I fear I will have again that missing feeling.

Last edited:
Back