Duplicate/old files using media server solved

MWKeiki

I have a USB drive connected to an ASUS router as a media server and use the Android app. In general, this works great - except....

I had some old music folders/files on the drive (MP3s) but decided to re-rip CDs to FLAC format and update the relevant folders. I deleted the old folders and copied the new files to the drive.

When I opened the app I noticed "duplicate" files for all of the ones I updated. Tried rebooting router (wondered if it was a cache issue), deleting the cache on the android app, etc. No effect - same duplicate files.

On a whim, I emptied the "recycle" bin on the external drive and restarted everything - what do you know - no more duplicates! Not sure if this is an app issue???

I have a USB drive connected to an ASUS router as a media server and use the Android app. In general, this works great - except....

I had some old music folders/files on the drive (MP3s) but decided to re-rip CDs to FLAC format and update the relevant folders. I deleted the old folders and copied the new files to the drive.

When I opened the app I noticed "duplicate" files for all of the ones I updated. Tried rebooting router (wondered if it was a cache issue), deleting the cache on the android app, etc. No effect - same duplicate files.

On a whim, I emptied the "recycle" bin on the external drive and restarted everything - what do you know - no more duplicates! Not sure if this is an app issue???
The Linux / Samba network "Recycle Bin" is not always present - can be toggled on/off per share in smb.conf- but it sounds like the Asus media server accidentally includes it or rather doesn't exclude it from its scan. Probably not an app issue but more likely an Asus issue.

The Linux / Samba network "Recycle Bin" is not always present - can be toggled on/off per share in smb.conf- but it sounds like the Asus media server accidentally includes it or rather doesn't exclude it from its scan. Probably not an app issue but more likely an Asus issue.
thanks for the info!

A Linux media server might not recognise the Windows recycle bin and might scan it as an ordinary folder - if the NTFS driver exposes it as such.
But Windows won’t have created it? IIRC you don’t get a recycle bin on a USB stick if used solely by Windows. The Samba one is defined in SMB.conf but actually only gets created when you delete something when connected via the share.

If you create a new folder in the root of your drive, move your files into it and configure your media server to scan from there you should be able to avoid this in future.
That or just remember to empty the recycle bin before connecting to the router :)

But Windows won’t have created it? IIRC you don’t get a recycle bin on a USB stick if used solely by Windows. The Samba one is defined in SMB.conf but actually only gets created when you delete something when connected via the share.
Oh I didn't realise that. I'm spending more and more time in Linux nowadays where it's called Trash so when the OP called it recycle bin I assumed Windows.
I guess if it was emptied through the router then it will be the Linux/SMB created "recycle bin".

Back