EQ, audiophiles look away now!

I’m not using MQA files, purely Qobuz and I haven’t seen any downsampling on my Topping DAC readout when engaging EQ on the WiiM? 192 stays at 192
In this case, I think Wiim Pro maybe just downsampling MQA files. Thanks for the tip, I will find some native 192 files on Tidal or Amazon to see if EQ downsamples them.

And that’s why I recommend a non digital EQ of some kind like the Schiit Loki/Lokius products. Plus you can apply EQ to everything by putting it in the analog path between pre and amp.
I have a digital PEQ on miniDSP and it works fine. WiiM's issue is the forced limiter in the EQ mode.

And that’s why I recommend a non digital EQ of some kind like the Schiit Loki/Lokius products. Plus you can apply EQ to everything by putting it in the analog path between pre and amp.
I’ve just bought one. Sub €200 with shipping to UK. Watched some reviews took onboard what you said. It can fit snuggly in between the Dac to Amp and I can tinker to my heart is content and turn the WiiM back to but perfect streamer only. Win win

I’ve just bought one. Sub €200 with shipping to UK. Watched some reviews took onboard what you said. It can fit snuggly in between the Dac to Amp and I can tinker to my heart is content and turn the WiiM back to but perfect streamer only. Win win
Bit perfect

In this case, I think Wiim Pro maybe just downsampling MQA files. Thanks for the tip, I will find some native 192 files on Tidal or Amazon to see if EQ downsamples them.
Let us know how you get on? All feedback is great, we don’t have to be experts to get valuable info!

I have a digital PEQ on miniDSP and it works fine. WiiM's issue is the forced limiter in the EQ mode.
But you can’t tweak the dials, man😁 I go all Dirac on my theater (or is it theatre) room. But I gotta have an analog system in the bar, cause I gotta. Of course with digital bits transferred from some AWS server in a bunker somewhere.

Let us know how you get on? All feedback is great, we don’t have to be experts to get valuable info!
Yup, I just tested Amazon HD in 192, with EQ on, Wiim Pro keeps it at 192.

But with MQA from Tidal, EQ drops it from 192 to 96 (in renderer only mode) and 48 (in decoder and renderer mode).

Another strike against MQA as Amazon gains the quality edge (with EQ on).

But with MQA from Tidal, EQ drops it from 192 to 96 (in renderer only mode) and 48 (in decoder and renderer mode).

Another strike against MQA as Amazon gains the quality edge (with EQ on).
Seems kinda obvious to me...
The mqa file is 'folded', so if you want to apply eq in the wiim, before it's been fully unfolded, then you're going to get whatever the wiim unfolds it to based on the downstream mqa capabilities settings.

Seems kinda obvious to me...
The mqa file is 'folded', so if you want to apply eq in the wiim, before it's been fully unfolded, then you're going to get whatever the wiim unfolds it to based on the downstream mqa capabilities settings.
I am glad it's obvious to you, but your post doesn't explain what I observed, ie. EQ drops MQA files from 192 to 96 (in renderer-only mode) but further to 48 (in decoder and renderer mode). Why is there a different drop between these two modes?

Anyone else knows?

I am glad it's obvious to you, but your post doesn't explain what I observed, ie. EQ drops MQA files from 192 to 96 (in renderer-only mode) but further to 48 (in decoder and renderer mode). Why is there a different drop between these two modes?

Anyone else knows?
Renderer only => wiim does decode unfold => 96khz
Decoder and renderer => wiim expects downstream to do both => no unfold in wiim => 48khz

You know what, tomorrow, I’m going to take the external DAC out of the route to the amp and speakers and see what the WiiM DAC does in its own!
You might be be pleasantly surprised I was, I could live with it.

But you can’t tweak the dials, man😁 I go all Dirac on my theater (or is it theatre) room. But I gotta have an analog system in the bar, cause I gotta. Of course with digital bits transferred from some AWS server in a bunker somewhere.
Well, I still have bass/treble dials on my amp. And I never use them, cause I don't want to.

Interesting, Wiim Pro's "MQA Core Decoder" either randomly upsamples some MQA tracks to 88/96 or reporting the rates incorrectly, despite that a full external MQA decoder and renderer keeps them at 44.1/48 kHz.

And if you skip forward the song and back again, the sample rate will change, so confusing, LOL...

@WiiM Support is MQA still in beta?

Interesting, Wiim Pro's "MQA Core Decoder" either randomly upsamples some MQA tracks to 88/96 or reporting the rates incorrectly, despite that a full external MQA decoder and renderer keeps them at 44.1/48 kHz.

And if you skip forward the song and back again, the sample rate will change, so confusing, LOL...

This is with EQ enabled, right?
So an external decoder/renderer isn't getting a 'proper' mqa stream, so won't unfold.
As for the changing rates if simply skipping back to a track... can't explain that!

Mqa required bit perfect to work so using eq would not work. It has to be fixed volume and set 192khz/24.

No, this is with EQ disabled and Fixed Volume is set. That's why I am so puzzled.

I submitted a bug report to @WiiM Support already. Hopefully it's a just beta issue that they will sort out.
Are you using the wiim app with tidal? I found if I use the wiim app first I don’t get higher bitrate than 16 bit 44.1 KHz. If I open tidal connect and start song and then open the WiiM app I get the higher 24 bit 88 or 96 KHz.
No biggie since normally start listen to the daily discovery in Tidal. Tend to use the WiiM app just to setup the WiiM.

Back