Ethernet WiiM Pro

IanP

I can't understate how much in awe I am of this little device. I have been using it wirelessly to my iMac but having to wait quite a while when it connects after being paused or when I put the iMac to sleep.

However, I have just connected by ethernet and it is now almost instantaneous with a much richer and fuller sound. I would recommend this heartedly over using wifi.

The app still functions as well.

Is it your feeling he or she is paying for? Let people do what people want. They also have to suffer your OA nonsense.

I can't say I've detected any sound quality difference between ethernet and wifi connection with my Wiim Pro However due to my installation location the wifi signal is a little weak and the WiiM App kept "losing" the device and I'd need to keep reinstalling the WiiM. This doesn't happen now the WiiM Pro is hard wired. And.... your right start up time is much quicker with Ethernet compared to Wifi.

I upgraded my listening experience with an External DAC after trying out several in my budget range I settled on an SMSL Sanskrit 10 Mk3 also with the same DAC chip as now fitted by WiiM to the new Pro Plus. I'm over the moon with the improvement in the external DAC especially as it has 6 different modes to choose from according to the music type I'm listening to.

One final note I prefer the coaxial connection to my analogue Rega amp to the optical link, to me it just sounds warmer without losing any punch.

I guess if I didn't already have a WiiM Pro and an external DAC Id just but the Wiim Pro + and save myself about £70 or £80....

I love my Neo Streamer, snake oil or not. And if so, I like snake oil.

I'll stick with a Yawning Air Gap ™ ... aka WiFi. Unless the network is dropping UDP packets it's the same data either way.

Last edited:
I have 5-12 ms ping to wiim mini and no packet loss . I don’t know if I benefit from Ethernet - Rssi -53 and snr 35. However I have frequent pauses and hangs in streaming lately .Ticket is already raised

Last edited:
I mean when you say stuff like this… I just cannot corelate that with your serious part
So you got my point and my confusion with companies like Abbingdon Music Research which owns iFi brand - mixing serious products with snake oil gadgets.

I can't say I've detected any sound quality difference between ethernet and wifi connection with my Wiim Pro However due to my installation location the wifi signal is a little weak and the WiiM App kept "losing" the device and I'd need to keep reinstalling the WiiM. This doesn't happen now the WiiM Pro is hard wired. And.... your right start up time is much quicker with Ethernet compared to Wifi.

I upgraded my listening experience with an External DAC after trying out several in my budget range I settled on an SMSL Sanskrit 10 Mk3 also with the same DAC chip as now fitted by WiiM to the new Pro Plus. I'm over the moon with the improvement in the external DAC especially as it has 6 different modes to choose from according to the music type I'm listening to.

One final note I prefer the coaxial connection to my analogue Rega amp to the optical link, to me it just sounds warmer without losing any punch.

I guess if I didn't already have a WiiM Pro and an external DAC Id just but the Wiim Pro + and save myself about £70 or £80....
I share your enthusiasm for the pro, which I plumbed in to my legacy system three weeks ago...the convenience is great and chasing down all these ambient internet radio stations is partly why I bought it in the first place...I like the ti/burr brown dac that is in it already and is another reason for my purchase, as I have used one in the past hooked up to my laptop...

I remain curious though, how it might sound with another dac and have my eye on an smsl su1...so your reference to the sanskrit chimed for me...problem is there's just so much choice that I also think I want to downsize from my 37 year old suitcase size amp...so I remain teetering on the edge, which is great fun too, checking other stuff out...like you I have hard wired the pro with an ethernet cable and if it continues to work as well for you as it appears to do for me, then that's all that really matters...enjoy !

Always preferred wired over wireless. Dont get me wrong, all my wfm hardware is ethernet to switch or router. Synology, Wiim, and printer are wired. Wireless is convienent and if you are close enough and can use 5ghz for connectivity, it is just as good as ethernet. I have also added chokes to all my power supplies to reduce hum.
I also own an IFI gryphon dac, nice little box. There are audiophiles who swear everything needs to be filtered for "pure sound". Can your ears hear that difference? Who knows, mine can't. When was the last time you(collectively) visited an audiologist for a hearing test? Btw if you are married, wives dont need this test, they hear EVERYTHING.

For a matter of clarity, the Pro + is connected to my Meridian 861.4 by Russ Andrews D60 Coax with the signal passed through to the Meridian DSP 7000 Speakers, which does the D/A honours.

However, CD's still sound better using the 808.5. If you are interested in the speakers, I have attached the data sheet.

Attachments

• dsp7000 data sheet.pdf
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 7
Back