FW rollback

In what way are your devices and WiiM not meeting your expectations? For most of the time, mine play without issue - sure, there have been issues and still are in some areas, but by and large they do what I bought them for and how I listen to music. Of late I tend to use LMS and the Amazon Music app, so any shortcomings of the WiiM app go unnoticed by me. I’m not in any great rush for new features given what the products now deliver, but will nonetheless welcome them whenever they come. Plus things like Roon certification are largely out of their hands.

I think it’s inevitable in this type of forum with the type of user it attracts (perhaps the more discerning, more technical “audiophile”) that you’re bound to be overwhelmed at times by details of what is wrong with a product rather than what is right.

For me, if they allow me a day’s quality listening to music without a lot of hassle, then they’re delivering all I currently need.
Hi @Brantome
I wasn't talking about the product. On the WiiMs as a product I completely agree with you. Indeed I would call them excellent, on the other hand if I didn't think so I wouldn't have bought two. ;)
I was referring only to Customer Care. Once an absolute point of excellence and now with numerous flaws. They are blending into the crowd. Why?
1) The answers arrived in the day, now if they arrive they arrive after days
2) The FW specification page is updated days after the release of a new FW. First it was contextual
3) The Road Map no longer exists. It has become a vague to-do list. When? The year of then the month of never. Before it was scheduled by dates and 90% they did what was listed.
4) I have some tickets that are "Being Processed or
"Pending" the oldest since February 11 !!!
That seems enough for me to have become critical versus Customer Care.
Were we used to it too well? Maybe yes, but going back is tough.
I clarify again. What I said I said with regret, because they make great products and were supported by a HUGE Customer Care.
Now only the great products remain. Its a bit sad

Mine mini is also on 4.6.511655, i was thinking this is the latest firmware.

Well, it seems that i’m in a good company :)
Anyway i sent a feed through the App. Let’s see what happens

I clarify again. What I said I said with regret, because they make great products and were supported by a HUGE Customer Care.
Now only the great products remain. Its a bit sad
I can’t disagree with you on most of those points - they seem to have been unable to find a happy medium between very frequent (if not too many) updates and almost none. What’s in the firmware updates has seldom coincided with the releases, often being a few days later, but the roadmaps status (which seems inconsistent between the mini and pro) has stagnated since they decided to focus on bug fixes. I’d also say the bug fixes page is very high level and doesn’t adequately reflect the issues that have been reported thru tickets or mentioned here in the forum. I get the feeling they are perhaps a bit swamped and under resourced.
Given the potential runaway success of the Mini and Pro, I hope their management address these perceived issues asap. I guess you, like me, wish them well and hope their product and user base continue to expand…

It is clear that the WiiM team is trying hard to make things work. That says a lot to me compared to other (e.g., big-name Japanese) companies that have rolled out assorted devices with bugs that were only partially addressed, if ever, and then "abandoned" users as they moved on to market newer stuff. I will support WiiM if they continue to show they are supporting us with needed updates, but I agree that it may be best to simply fix issues with things that were advertised to work in the device to start with, rather than attempting to add new features/functions in response to user requests and potentially creating new issues. If you want additional features, wait and buy something advertised to have that.

The first WiiM Pro I purchased (Amazon) would hardly function, and eventually began throwing the red-light fault error after a few reboots as I tried in vain to get it to do what it was advertised to do (in my case, play Spotify or flac files via my dlna server through ethernet to coax out). It wouldn't retain my user settings, eventually failed to find my ethernet (forcing wifi, which I had disabled), and finally failed to respond through the WiiM Home app at all. It went back to Amazon pronto, who probably resold it to some poor soul....

The replacement unit has been fault-free from day one, well, except for becoming unresponsive after an update a couple days ago, but a simple reboot fixed that, whereas with the first unit, rebooting only functioned the same as a factory reset, dumping all my settings, and never resolved anything (so yeah, I'm gun-shy about having only that last resort to choose from ....).

I don't know about everyone else here, but personally, I would prefer to have the "option" to initiate updates myself if I feel they're needed or might fix an issue (rather than them being pushed out automatically on WiiM's schedule). If I don't have any issues, I don't try to "fix what ain't broke". I am worried that future updates can and will introduce new bugs.

I don't know about everyone else here, but personally, I would prefer to have the "option" to initiate updates myself if I feel they're needed or might fix an issue (rather than them being pushed out automatically on WiiM's schedule). If I don't have any issues, I don't try to "fix what ain't broke". I am worried that future updates can and will introduce new bugs.
Ditto

I can’t disagree with you on most of those points - they seem to have been unable to find a happy medium between very frequent (if not too many) updates and almost none. What’s in the firmware updates has seldom coincided with the releases, often being a few days later, but the roadmaps status (which seems inconsistent between the mini and pro) has stagnated since they decided to focus on bug fixes. I’d also say the bug fixes page is very high level and doesn’t adequately reflect the issues that have been reported thru tickets or mentioned here in the forum. I get the feeling they are perhaps a bit swamped and under resourced.
Given the potential runaway success of the Mini and Pro, I hope their management address these perceived issues asap. I guess you, like me, wish them well and hope their product and user base continue to expand…
Hi @Brantome
I agree, and I will tell you that you said some wise words “to find a happy medium”. This is exactly what is missing. “I get the feeling…….” We both feel that perhaps they are under resourced to sustain the success of their products.
For sure, like you, I wish them all the best because I believe that their products for quality/price are unbeatable.
I'll also tell you why I bought the Pro, since in the end it's practically identical to the Mini and I needed neither LAN nor incoming connections.
I use it ,connected to an external DAC ,only in WiFi and to listen to Streaming services.
1) I liked the aesthetics
2) I was curious to try the COAX output
3) I wanted to support a young company that, on my opinion, by making excellent and competitive products, was worthy of all our support.
That said, let's hope that as soon as possible they find as you said..."a happy medium".

It is clear that the WiiM team is trying hard to make things work. That says a lot to me compared to other (e.g., big-name Japanese) companies that have rolled out assorted devices with bugs that were only partially addressed, if ever, and then "abandoned" users as they moved on to market newer stuff. I will support WiiM if they continue to show they are supporting us with needed updates, but I agree that it may be best to simply fix issues with things that were advertised to work in the device to start with, rather than attempting to add new features/functions in response to user requests and potentially creating new issues. If you want additional features, wait and buy something advertised to have that.

The first WiiM Pro I purchased (Amazon) would hardly function, and eventually began throwing the red-light fault error after a few reboots as I tried in vain to get it to do what it was advertised to do (in my case, play Spotify or flac files via my dlna server through ethernet to coax out). It wouldn't retain my user settings, eventually failed to find my ethernet (forcing wifi, which I had disabled), and finally failed to respond through the WiiM Home app at all. It went back to Amazon pronto, who probably resold it to some poor soul....

The replacement unit has been fault-free from day one, well, except for becoming unresponsive after an update a couple days ago, but a simple reboot fixed that, whereas with the first unit, rebooting only functioned the same as a factory reset, dumping all my settings, and never resolved anything (so yeah, I'm gun-shy about having only that last resort to choose from ....).

Hi @waldo
I would also like to be able to update the FW manually if I find the update useful.
But I'm afraid mandatory updates are the latest fashion. Microsoft teaches.
Before Win 10 I applied updates selectively, but from Win 10 onwards you are forced to install what Microsoft wants.
At best you can delay them, but then the inevitable happens.
Of course i’m talking about Win Home.
Until recently the situation was different for Win Pro, but I think now it has changed there as well

As in the Mini i was 2 FW behind yesterday i sent a feedback throu WHA asking to be updated to the latest FW version.
Just a few minutes ago i have had an update for the Mini and now i have 4.6.512532

and what does it change?
Mhh some fix, but nothing crucial. No new features. Unfortnately the release notes doesn’t report yet the new version.
The notes are stuck at version 4.6.511655

So, with no doubt my update occurred not for my feedback, but because was my/our turn

Back