I don't see Amazon alexa settings...

I received a response from @WiiM Support.

quotation;
--------------------------------
1. WiiM Mini: The "Amazon Music HD/UHD" function is displayed within the WiiM HOME app when using the WiiM Mini. This allows you to toggle the HD/UHD functionality on or off as needed.
2. WiiM Pro: The Amazon Music HD/UHD setting is enabled by default and is not displayed in the app interface, as the Pro automatically supports HD/UHD playback.
3. Multi-Room Music (MRM) with Mini: When grouping multiple rooms (MRM) using the Mini, it is necessary to turn off the Amazon Music HD/UHD function to ensure normal playback. This is specific to the Mini and does not affect the Pro.
--------------------------------

This is consistent with what @Brantome explained, and I know he's right. However, it doesn't seem to work as described in my test.

I'm going to post my test results here to explain to the WiiM Team. I'm not sure if this is an issue that is only happening to my Mini, so I'd be happy if someone could test it the same way.

1. Link Mini and Pro to MRM.
IMG_20240122_211540.jpg

2. Turn off "Amazon music HD/UHD" in Amazon Alexa settings on Mini.
IMG_20240122_211557.jpg

3. Play Amazon music on WHA.
(Result is HD)
IMG_20240122_201644.jpg

4. Play with AlexaCast.
(Result is SD)
IMG_20240122_201552.jpg

There are a couple of questions here.

1. Why use the UHD switch in Alexa settings for MRM?
2. Does UHD Switch work for streaming services other than Amazon music?

[edit]
3. Are these behaviors normal because the choppy issues only occur when playing through Alexa? 🤔

Thank you. 🙂

Last edited:
If you've grouped the WiiMs in the WiiM Home app, is that group then visible to the Amazon Music app without you having to create the MRM group in the Alexa app?

What happens with your tests if you toggle the HD/UHD switch on? Does AlexaCast then deliver HD and is playback stable on both devices?

Re 1, I think the switch is to tell AlexaCast that the Mini can't handle HD in an Alexa MRM, so demote group playback to SD for all devices. It may well be that the receive/distribute stream model that Alexa uses for MRM is handled differently and needs more buffer memory than the Mini can provide. Linkplay groups use a receive/distribute model too but seems to be less demanding than Alexa MRM.

Re 2, I believe the switch only governs the specific case of Alexa MRM.

If you've grouped the WiiMs in the WiiM Home app, is that group then visible to the Amazon Music app without you having to create the MRM group in the Alexa app?

No, Mini and Pro are listed and need to be connected to the Mini. When connected to Pro, MRM is released.

What happens with your tests if you toggle the HD/UHD switch on? Does AlexaCast then deliver HD and is playback stable on both devices?

Yes, you're right.

Re 1, I think the switch is to tell AlexaCast that the Mini can't handle HD in an Alexa MRM, so demote group playback to SD for all devices. It may well be that the receive/distribute stream model that Alexa uses for MRM is handled differently and needs more buffer memory than the Mini can provide. Linkplay groups use a receive/distribute model too but seems to be less demanding than Alexa MRM.

However, if I group a Mini and multiple echoes and play them back in Alexa MRM, the UHD switch in WHA will not work. Even if I turn it off beforehand, the Alexa app will still show HD. Also, I can't turn off the UHD switch because Linkplay MRM is released when I start Alexa MRM.

Re 2, I believe the switch only governs the specific case of Alexa MRM.
Again, this switch does not appear to be working with Alexa MRM.🤔

Thank you. 🙂

Back