initial mixed impressions of Qobuz via Wiim

Judasmac

1. Qobuz via the Wiim app sounds distinctly better than Qobuz via Airplay, which I assume reflects limitation of Airplay. But...

2. Qobuz on the Wiim app lacks a lot of the basic features and conveniences of the Qobuz app.

a. Reviews/info on artists and albums are gone.

b. Searching does not provide results for all categories ("top results") automatically. You need to click on the category to get the result you want.

c. No Recently Played

Overall, I'm disappointed. The UI is a distinct step backward from what I used to, which is not what I was expecting from a dedicated streamer. If there are newbie tweaks I'm missing, let me know.

Tbh, that’s not to be unexpected using a third party interface to a streaming service. It largely depends in what features the streaming service exposes to third party developers like WiiM. It could be that there are other features (or not) that WiiM could add to their app thru the API - it might be worth submitting a feature request to see what they say.

Ideally, you should be able to cast from the supplier’s own app and use its entire feature set, but unfortunately Qobuz don’t yet have such a mechanism but it’s supposedly in development. Tidal, Spotify and Amazon Music all have casting ability so Qobuz is a bit behind the rest of the pack.

However, in the interim if you have a WiiM Pro rather than a Mini, you can use Chromecast to play Qobuz lossless up to 24/96 which is much better than Airplay.

I think that cambridge audio's stream magic app is one of the few that allows you to use it without having an actual device found first.
You could see what qobuz features etc. they allow to see what the wiim is missing.

Wiim confirmed at end of Nov that they were working with qobuz on implementing qobuz connect.

Last edited:
Qobuz rep said WiiM will be the first product to have Qobuz Connect.

Qobuz rep said WiiM will be the first product to have Qobuz Connect.

Great video and amazing news. Thanks for sharing. So good to hear connect is coming soon. It’s really needed.

1. Qobuz via the Wiim app sounds distinctly better than Qobuz via Airplay, which I assume reflects limitation of Airplay. But...

2. Qobuz on the Wiim app lacks a lot of the basic features and conveniences of the Qobuz app.

a. Reviews/info on artists and albums are gone.

b. Searching does not provide results for all categories ("top results") automatically. You need to click on the category to get the result you want.

c. No Recently Played

Overall, I'm disappointed. The UI is a distinct step backward from what I used to, which is not what I was expecting from a dedicated streamer. If there are newbie tweaks I'm missing, let me know.
Hi Judasmac,

Thank you for your suggestion. I’ll raise the issues a) and b) to our Eng. team so we can fix these issues soon. For the recently played, you can find it from the Browse tab > Recently played. Thank you!

Back