Line out distortion

tiziano

New Pro owner. My unit has bad distortion via line out. Optical seems OK. I have tested using two separate systems, two different sets of cables, streaming via both Qobuz and from a local network file. All of the tested sources work fine using the same wifi network and amplifiers with my other streamer (D-stream wr100d). Firmware updated itself on initial installation so I assume it is up to date.

Any ideas?

Check the line in sensitivity of the line inputs of the devices you're connecting it too as you may be overloading them, and on the WiiM, set its line out level at 500mV then work up a level until you get distortion, then step back to the highest level that doesn't distort

Last edited:
Hi, many thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I tried setting the line level output to 500mv but the distortion remains. It's rather like the 'bubbling' sound that you get from a DAB radio with poor reception, but interestingly it doesn't happen when streaming BBC Radio 3. I'd assumed it must be a DAC issue, because it works fine via optical out, but this is puzzling.

It's connecting to an analogue amp (NAD C320BEE) so I don't think there's anything I can change at that end? I've tried various different RCA inputs but all exhibit the same problem.

Hi, many thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I tried setting the line level output to 500mv but the distortion remains. It's rather like the 'bubbling' sound that you get from a DAB radio with poor reception, but interestingly it doesn't happen when streaming BBC Radio 3. I'd assumed it must be a DAC issue, because it works fine via optical out, but this is puzzling.

It's connecting to an analogue amp (NAD C320BEE) so I don't think there's anything I can change at that end? I've tried various different RCA inputs but all exhibit the same problem.
I should point out for clarity that when I tested the optical out, I used a different, digital amplifier.

I returned the unit and received a replacement today. Unfortunately it has the same problem - a persistent crackling/bubbling noise via line out. Changing the line out level or the cable makes no difference. This is very disappointing and frustrating.

Have you submitted a ticket to Wim yet so they can analyse your device logs for clues as to what might be causing this?
I have just submitted a ticket. I had hoped that the original problem was a one-off faulty unit but it seems not. I will report back on progress.

Two firmware updates later and the noise is still present. I can hear a 'static' type noise even with no music playing, whenever line out is selected. A cd player connected to the same amp is silent. My other streamer box, similar to the Pro, is perfectly silent. I'm beginning to think getting a WiiM wasn't a great idea.

Depends on the sensitivity of the port you're connecting to - start lower then work up to one that delivers a sufficient level without distortion
Regarding the Pro Plus by using the internal DAC: If I change only the line output level I get always bitperfect output ?

OK a further update and brief summary for anybody researching similar problems:

The replacement Pro had static noise and distortion on line out, just like the first. I took it back to the shop today and they kindly tested both the Pro and the new replacement which is a Pro Plus. They were able to reproduce the static noise on the Pro, but thankfully the Pro Plus seems fine. I am now running through trying plenty of music from different sources to fully test it at home.

Summary:

Problem - Static type noise when using RCA Line Out, and distortion when streaming from Qobuz (at any resolution). No problem using Optical out. Coax out not tested.

Outcome - two faulty Pro units returned. Replaced with Pro Plus. Line Out is silent, no distortion.

I can only assume the fault lay somewhere in the DACs, but obviously I can't be certain.

If I come across any further issues I'll post an update here but it looks good so far.

Back