Lineair power supply

Mr.Wilson

Would WIIM mini or Pro benefit from a lineair power supply instead of a traditional power adapter. Would it improve the sound quality?

Conclusions
It is clear that whether you use the USB power, or the supplied switching power supply, there is absolutely no audible improvement in the output of the DAC with linear power supplies. One can help himself believe otherwise by looking at the noise spectrum alone as I have shown in the last graph. But again, we don't listen to power supply wires. Those waveforms go through filtering stages even in cheapest DACs.

The power supply can generate noise. It can make a BIG difference in sound. But you don't have to spend a lot of $$$ on a power supply. Here's some research. Check out the noise graphs.

ROFL. Did you bother to read the article I linked? Any noise will be filtered out, resulting in EXACTLY the same output from the DAC. This stuff isn't rocket science.
Did I miss something and he had tested plenty of DACs and streamers instead of just a few in the mentioned article?

i lean toward saying its snake oil, but also like the thought of better quality power supplies, these disposable switch mode power supplies and low quality usb wall warts arent doing us any favors. do you need a $300 power supply for your sub $100 streamer, probably not. IFI makes some improved wall warts in the $50-$110 range that get good reviews from some people.. That's probably more than enough overkill. Our house has some questionable electricity moments, so I do look for ways to make it less crappy.

If it was a concern, instead of spending $100 on a streamer and $300 on an LPS I would just have bought a $400 streamer.

I think that just a proven good quality charger is enough, especially when using analog output. Linear ones can be absurdly expensive.

Would WIIM mini or Pro benefit from a lineair power supply instead of a traditional power adapter. Would it improve the sound quality?
Hi
Now i have my Wiimconnected to a thoroidal linear power supply (Topping p-50). It cost about 130$ . Before i had it connected to a phone power charger. The difference is huge and, for me, audible. More clarity; more soundstage depth; more air between instruments; etc.
For me it's worth it. Of course even better if, as in my case, the WiiM is connected to a good external DAC. I have Topping D50s
Cheers :)

Hi
Now i have my Wiimconnected to a thoroidal linear power supply (Topping p-50). It cost about 130$ . Before i had it connected to a phone power charger. The difference is huge and, for me, audible. More clarity; more soundstage depth; more air between instruments; etc.
For me it's worth it. Of course even better if, as in my case, the WiiM is connected to a good external DAC. I have Topping D50s
So you want to say that linear PSU somehow affects light stream delivered through optical cable, which makes "huge difference" in terms of audibility. Ok.

Hi
I agree, the phone charger sound muffled on wiim but as soon topping p50 it made huge difference. The problem on p50 would support 5v at 1a and pro need 2amp of 5v.

So you want to say that linear PSU somehow affects light stream delivered through optical cable, which makes "huge difference" in terms of audibility. Ok.
Don’t take our words for it, order them to amazon if you don’t hear different return it back. Let your ear decide instead you push your theory instead of practice.

Don’t take our words for it, order them to amazon if you don’t hear different return it back. Let your ear decide instead you push your theory instead of practice.
Let's take into consideration a case when DAC gets from WiiM data bit 2 bit the same as the source, using toslink transport. Which is quite possible as I got that during one of my tests. If you explain me how could I get more then bit-perfect audio stream, I'll take a risk and order a linear PSU.

Let's take into consideration a case when DAC gets from WiiM data bit 2 bit the same as the source, using toslink transport. Which is quite possible as I got that during one of my tests. If you explain me how could I get more than bit-perfect audio stream, I'll take a risk and order a linear PSU.
We can go on and on I don’t believe such linear psw improve sounds and thought was snake oil. Just order it and let your ear decide if it’s a keeper or not. It’s just that simple no need go on science about audio. We let our ear decide and not measurements. Why people buy tube amp when the distortion on those were high? Because it was pleasing to their ear and don’t care what other people think.

Back