Lineair power supply

People tend to believe what they "Wish" to be true, a $200 streamer sound just as good as a $2000 one. How I wish that to be true and I could be saving a lot of money. I remember 40 years ago they said all amplifiers sound the same, and now "1s and 0s sounds the same" nothing could be further from the truth, the more "resolving" the system is, more different could be heard. You could not measure sound reacts to human hearing, just like you can't measure food reacts to your taste bugs.
So you've provided an example how people tend to believe what they "Wish" to be true.

Some people say that an LPS is always an improvement. Some people say that the difference is even bigger for higher quality equipment. Let's verify the second assumption for the noise level on the analog output when device is idle.

Mini vs Pro vs Pro Plus
Pro Plus charger vs the cleanest power source I can provide - linear regulated batteries

Mini:
1705401922437.png

Whatever I use, results will be noisy.

Pro:
1705402037005.png

Visible differences, no noise for lps.

Pro Plus:
1705402145308.png

Visible differences again, no noise for lps again. But, the difference is smaller when compared to the Pro. Better device, better filtering on the analog output stage.

Some people say that an LPS is always an improvement. Some people say that the difference is even bigger for higher quality equipment.
So, can I say / ask what I *think* the graphs are telling me, and you can correct me?!

The regular power supply is a little noisier than the battery power supply, particularly around mains frequency (50 hz) and multiples of that?
The db numbers for both are way quieter than anything I'd ever hear?
The difference on the pro plus, being the 'higher quality' item here, is not bigger - i.e. a higher quality device is possibly actually less 'improved' by a LPS?

The regular power supply is a little noisier than the battery power supply, particularly around mains frequency (50 hz) and multiples of that?
In fact the regular power supply is much much noisier itself. You can see above the impact of the power supply on the powered device. It's not about the noise of the power supply.

The db numbers for both are way quieter than anything I'd ever hear?
I would say so. But as it's about the noise for an idle device, you can hear it if you amplify the output hard enough.

The difference on the pro plus, being the 'higher quality' item here, is not bigger - i.e. a higher quality device is possibly actually less 'improved' by a LPS?
Yes.

BTW, @Wiimer asked me once to test a GaN charger. Below the comparison of Anker GaN to the stock one.

Pro:
1705406875587.png

Pro Plus:
1705406995086.png

Again, just a measurement of the noise on analog output.

Thank you for remembering me. 😊😊😊

Ignoring 50Hz and 160Hz, GaN and linear power supplies look the same. 🤔

A special gift then, some samples captured on the Pro Plus powered by the stock charger vs a GaN charger. As always no hint which folder is for which charger.

Courtesy to Gregor Quendel:

A special gift then, some samples captured on the Pro Plus powered by the stock charger vs a GaN charger. As always no hint which folder is for which charger.

Courtesy to Gregor Quendel:

Thank you for the wonderful gift.

I don't think I'll hear the difference, but I'll try tomorrow. I'm going to sleep with earplugs today. 😁

@onlyoneme nice, thanks. Can you also show the differences (or lack of) when playing 32 multitone like this?

There is nothing to talk about, Pro Plus, 1/3 octave interval:

1705417985953.png

I prefer NID test tones instead, but almost no difference here:

1705418195194.png

And this is a case with the "worst" vs the "best" PSU.

double measures displayed simultaneously can be really awkward...we can't really understand what's going on in red for example
this approach sometimes has its limits...
;-)
The same as in green except small differences which are visible because green is on top for the second graph.

Back