Lineair power supply

I tried IFI power 2 with Wiim Mini, it made the sound quite dull and veiled but I use IFI power 2 with another DAC and good results. There's a surge protector powerboard on Amazon with EMI / RFI filtering for around $40, (brand is Cyberpower) that's created a nice improvement for my audio gear and tv setup, also has USB ports but I found the Wiim sounds better with a USB adapter plugged into the powerboard.

Do try different USB wall adapters laying around your house, if you don't hear any difference, so be it.
I have one of their power supply the 65 dollar. It suck up the life of the music and made it dull and lifeless. I’m non believer on power supply till your ears tell you otherwise. Topping p50 is what I use on wiim and compare the wall phone charger it made improvements otherwise it get returned.

Every aspect in design it impact sound quality. With regards with your question, those matters on the designer perspective and as you as a buyer wether you agree with them or not it’s up to you. If you think you can do better then redesign what wiim did on their product and give us your feedback.
Do you know if sound engineers use only linear PSUs in their audio studios?

It's my brain to be satisfied, not ears. And my brain wants to know first how something could improve my system.
Only you can answer that. Try many upgraded and tuning and find out if your brain is satisfied. We can’t answer that for you.

Just spotted this thread. I use these on my WIIM minis
Bruphny Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply UK Charger AC Adapter Cord 5V 3A USB C Micro USB 5 Feet For Raspberry Pi 400 Pi 3 4 Model B B+ A+ Plus Zero with ON/OFF Switch https://amzn.eu/d/gWQQBFQ
Does the job well enough and has an on/off switch which comes in handy (y)

I do not see any reason to try to improve anything on WiiM's side when bit-perfect scenario is achieved, because there is nothing to be improved.
I can consider implementing some changes in non bit-perfect scenario. Is linear PSU going to improve WiiM's internal clock used during spdif transmission?
Ask yourself, does a linear power supply provide a cleaner, less noisy, power to the WiiM....versus a switching power supply? This electrical power is being introduced into the WiiM. The answer is obvious, but will it change what you hear on the output side of the WiimM? Depends on how far you want to push that bar. I think it's up to the individual listening.

Ask yourself, does a linear power supply provide a cleaner, less noisy, power to the WiiM....versus a switching power supply? This electrical power is being introduced into the WiiM. The answer is obvious, but will it change what you hear on the output side of the WiimM? Depends on how far you want to push that bar. I think it's up to the individual listening.
It doesn't matter when existing solution provides to results which can no longer improve. Linear PSUs are not less noisy by default than impulse ones.
One thing is if the potential improvement can be measured. Second thing is if it can be audible.

If I can hear the improvement, then it can also be measured, no question.
Assuming you're using the bit-perfect optical output, you won't hear an improvement in a double-blind test, no question.

I'm using bit perfect on the coaxial output but it doesn't make any difference. I'd take that bet and win every time.

I’ll jump in. It is a fact that wall warts can bring noise to the power lines and ground issues.

Proven here on my high resolving system so, if the wall warts that comes with the Wiim Pro affects the performance of other components in your audio chain then there is room for improvement.

Now, does it make noise? Have not tested yet (have had it playing for less than an hour since it was delivered today).

An example, I have an amp (on my second system) which you hear the transformer buzzing from DC in the incoming power. I added a DC filter (Ava Humdinger) and noise is gone.

YMMV

If I can hear the improvement, then it can also be measured, no question.
Running LPS on my equipment sans monoblock tube amps.
It can just mean that you have an impression that you hear the difference. Changing the PSU connected to the transport will not bring any improvement if that transport already delivers bit-perfect stream to the DAC over galvanic isolated cable.

As you use RME DAC you can simply capture what your DAC gets from WiiM. And compare results of changing PSUs connected to the WiiM.

Last edited:
Actually, I've tested separate application of the LPS in the system and appreciated it made a lovely, appreciable audible impact.
So, the WIIM gets it too. The depth of the noise floor is super. It sounds incredible.

Actually, I've tested separate application of the LPS in the system and appreciated it made a lovely, appreciable audible impact.
So, the WIIM gets it too. The depth of the noise floor is super. It sounds incredible.
Noise floor should be not audible instead of sounding incredible...
BTW just use toslink if you want to be sure no "noise" can leak to the DAC.

Did you capture what your DAC gets from WiiM and compare results?

Last edited:
Noise floor should be not audible instead of sounding incredible...
BTW just use toslink if you want to be sure no "noise" can leak to the DAC.

Did you capture what your DAC gets from WiiM and compare results?
Yes, I've captured it all. It's all under my control including toslink tested.
All your WiiM Pro belongs to us. :eek::oops::LOL:

funny I was thinking of getting one ready for small measurements etc...
but my seems very expensive in relation to a mini or pro ...
if this fact will tell you
;-)
moreover remains the easy solution and in the end not so expensive of the use of powerbank for those who think that these efforts are interesting...
I'm talking.. but I imagine that some have already tried it...
;-)
ps
I know that some will point to large oversized power supplies, etc., but I have observed the least noisy solutions in the classic 1A power supply not classic 2a and more... and observation on a load comparable in consumption...

Last edited:
For the very few USB powered items I use the iFi X. In my case the Pro and a "chinoix" DAC. Nothing negative to say. But the main reason for me: My dealer has it in his portfolio and therefore availability and testing is easy.

For the very few USB powered items I use the iFi X. Nothing negative to say. But the main reason for me: My dealer has it in his portfolio and therefore availability and testing is easy.
Yes but nothing negative does not suffice . Why buy something which has a cost if it does not bring something clearly positive ?

Back