LMS/Squeezelite Support Mini

T-B

Moving this here from the thread at the old forum (https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/discussions/topics/72000741459?page=1)

I quote cc, who started that:

<< There are thousands of Logitech Media Server users out there, with a very active forum dedicated to its use. It would be great if Squeezelite support were added to the WiiM Mini to make it a native LMS client, with the full feature set.
https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezelite >>

There was a suggestion from Wiim Support that LMS was already useable via UPnP/DLNA, which is true, but using that is quite techy and beyond many customers. Captain Paranoia put it well at the old forum:

<< I think the reply from 'WiiM Support' misses the point; WiiM will be accessible via LMS using the UPnP/DLNA, Chromecast or Airplay plugins, but not via the LMS SlimProto protocl, which supports multi-room casting. Since Squeezelite is an open source implementation of the SlimProto renderer, it would seem a fairly easy win to deploy to the WiiM.>>

So, Wiim Support, can you make implementation of LMS/Squeezelite a priority, please, both on the Mini and the upcoming Pro? And personally, It would be interesting to hear Wiim's current plans for this before I buy either of these (great seeming) products.

Material by Craig is just that. A totally cross device HTML5 control gui

yeah just if wiim is open source like that..

If the squeezeboxes were a closed in system like Sonos, they would have been unusable years ago - plugin ins (like digital out kernel) , phone app, firmware and lms has been updated by end users.

Hello. I am very new here.
Having been a Squeezebox user for some years, my hardware failed and I looked around for an alternative.
The WiiM seemed an excellent option and I went for a Mini, having misread the stuff which said LMS was usable, not picking up the “not on the Mini” nuance! 🥲
I did ask the WiiM support, who confirmed this.
It’s been interesting to read through the blog to see how long this has been going on!
I think that I may bite the bullet and replace the Mini with a Pro, unless there has been further (unlikely?) progress from people who are in the know?
Cheers

Hello. I am very new here.
Having been a Squeezebox user for some years, my hardware failed and I looked around for an alternative.
The WiiM seemed an excellent option and I went for a Mini, having misread the stuff which said LMS was usable, not picking up the “not on the Mini” nuance! 🥲
I did ask the WiiM support, who confirmed this.
It’s been interesting to read through the blog to see how long this has been going on!
I think that I may bite the bullet and replace the Mini with a Pro, unless there has been further (unlikely?) progress from people who are in the know?
Cheers
For Squeezelite support you will need the pro, pro Plus or the amp On the mini your only LMS option is using upnp bridge plugin. If I were you I'd get the pro at a minimum.

Last edited:
Thanks @Branthome, but I did not say anything about a Roon link! I was enquiring about using the WiiM Mini with Squeezelite. It seems that I just need to add the UPNPBridge plugin. Am about to give this a go!

It looks from the info provided by @philippe44 that I need to use the Full Processing option. I am not totally clear about what is meant by "selecting one helper binary", but perhaps it will become clear when I have added the plugin.

Last edited:
Ok :) It was just in relation to your comment #143 above where you included a link to a Roon webpage , no problem.

The UPNPBridge plugin works well with the Mini - I used that on my Pro and Plus too before Wiim released the Squeezelite client for them. Good luck setting it up, the only thing I think I had to change in its settings was to up the output resolution to 24/192 from the 24/96 default.

I am very sorry if I inadvertently misled you. Thanks for the extra advice!
Now to give it a go!

About selecting the binary, there are two options available to me: 1) squeeze2upnp.exe and 2) squeeze2upnp-static.exe
Apparently, it depends on the "machine's architecture": how do I determine this, please?

Also, @Brantome (apologies for the earlier misspelling!), where do I change the output resolution? As I mentioned, I am new at this business!

Ok :) It was just in relation to your comment #143 above where you included a link to a Roon webpage , no problem.

The UPNPBridge plugin works well with the Mini - I used that on my Pro and Plus too before Wiim released the Squeezelite client for them. Good luck setting it up, the only thing I think I had to change in its settings was to up the output resolution to 24/192 from the 24/96 default.
I changed nothing! Worked out of the box (unlike many other devices!).

How far have you got? If you have enabled the Material Skin plugin, then from its interface, choose settings (the three dot menu in the top right) from the main page, then Server > UPNP/DLNA Bridge under Plugins. First, click off Running then Save Settings. On that page, you should see UPNP player audio capabilities - if Max Sample Rate isn't 192000, change it from the dropdown. Then Save Settings, and finally click Running back on.

Thanks so much! 👍 I have done all that, and am now heading for bed: it is 2230 here in Adelaide! I will have a look tomorrow to see what has transpired!

How far have you got? If you have enabled the Material Skin plugin, then from its interface, choose settings (the three dot menu in the top right) from the main page, then Server > UPNP/DLNA Bridge under Plugins. First, click off Running then Save Settings. On that page, you should see UPNP player audio capabilities - if Max Sample Rate isn't 192000, change it from the dropdown. Then Save Settings, and finally click Running back on.
Don’t automatically set the output to 24/192 instead set it to whatever the WiiM is outputting which might be lower dependent on if it is connected to an external DAC. 24/192 if its line out otherwise the same as the output. No point in transcoding when not necessary.

Don’t automatically set the output to 24/192 instead set it to whatever the WiiM is outputting which might be lower dependent on if it is connected to an external DAC. 24/192 if its line out otherwise the same as the output. No point in transcoding when not necessary.
So I presume this setting would best be set to 16/44.1 if all the music played via LMS is from lossless rips of CDs?

Not really. LMS won’t try to upsample as you are setting MAX sample rate that the player can cope with.
My comment applies to a situation where you have 24/192 files and you tell the bridge that is the max sample rate but your WiiM is connected to an external DAC that only supports up to 24/96 so you will have set that as max inside WiiM Home App. I think I am correct that in this scenario the bridge will try to send 24/192 so forcing the WiiM to transcode. If transcoding is required it is better done by LMS.

I lazily presumed that the Mini was configured to use its full capability of 24/192 over optical as that’s what I use on mine, so I set LMS to send up to the same…

I lazily presumed that the Mini was configured to use its full capability of 24/192 over optical as that’s what I use on mine, so I set LMS to send up to the same…
You have caused me to wonder where transcoding would occur if things were set up with a mismatch.

In LMS the player (in this case the pseudo player created by the bridge) declares its capabilities and LMS acts accordingly. I think it would be the WiiM that would transcode to match the DAC.

If it was a Pro or Pro Plus (or Amp) using the Squeezelite client then I wonder whether the instance takes its max from the WiiMs output settings.

Back