LMS/Squeezelite Support Mini

T-B

Moving this here from the thread at the old forum (https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/discussions/topics/72000741459?page=1)

I quote cc, who started that:

<< There are thousands of Logitech Media Server users out there, with a very active forum dedicated to its use. It would be great if Squeezelite support were added to the WiiM Mini to make it a native LMS client, with the full feature set.
https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezelite >>

There was a suggestion from Wiim Support that LMS was already useable via UPnP/DLNA, which is true, but using that is quite techy and beyond many customers. Captain Paranoia put it well at the old forum:

<< I think the reply from 'WiiM Support' misses the point; WiiM will be accessible via LMS using the UPnP/DLNA, Chromecast or Airplay plugins, but not via the LMS SlimProto protocl, which supports multi-room casting. Since Squeezelite is an open source implementation of the SlimProto renderer, it would seem a fairly easy win to deploy to the WiiM.>>

So, Wiim Support, can you make implementation of LMS/Squeezelite a priority, please, both on the Mini and the upcoming Pro? And personally, It would be interesting to hear Wiim's current plans for this before I buy either of these (great seeming) products.

Hi T-B. Are you saying that there is a beta in place for the Mini, I clearly missed that along the way?
I’m dead set keen to see LMS/Squeezelite available for the masses on the Mini, as I experience delays in connection via bridge to LMS on boot, on my network. Once up it’s fine, but I believe having Squeezelite running would eliminate this issue.
Been following the Pro beta discussion thread with interest, so keeping fingers crossed.

BillBob, this is a confusion because when I first started this thread back in November the LMS/Squeezelite implementation was announced in relation to the Mini. Then the Pro came along and I posted a duplicate thread for that, sending readers to this original already-under-way thread. Got that? Anyway, from what I gather from Wiim's subsequent announcements, LMS/Squeezelite will at first be Pro only (the beta now available), and then later possibly Mini and Pro Plus as well. I need to lie down now.

Just in case anyone's still looking here, Wiim now say the Mini won't get LMS/Squeezelite implementation, only the Pro and Pro Plus (available now).

Just in case anyone's still looking here, Wiim now say the Mini won't get LMS/Squeezelite implementation, only the Pro and Pro Plus (available now).
Though this absolutely sucks…I do understand the reasoning.

Though this absolutely sucks…I do understand the reasoning.
I also understand the reasoning but then I must question whether its valid.
Essentially after sticking PEQ Filters onto the Mini there isn't enough room for Squeezelite.
To my way of thinking there is a bigger demand for Squeezelite than there is for PEQ filters.
Surely Squeezelite means more unit sales whereas no one is going to buy a Mini because it has PEQ filters?

I also understand the reasoning but then I must question whether its valid.
Essentially after sticking PEQ Filters onto the Mini there isn't enough room for Squeezelite.
To my way of thinking there is a bigger demand for Squeezelite than there is for PEQ filters.
Surely Squeezelite means more unit sales whereas no one is going to buy a Mini because it has PEQ filters?
I totally agree with you. I never use the EQ. Many do, though, I guess.

I’d say Squeezelite on the Mini would be the ultimate low-priced entry, since the price increases and scarcity of Raspberry Pi’s. I was totally going to go the RPi route until I discovered WiiM.

RPi is still cheaper than the Pro, though. At a $150 entry point for Pro/Squeezelite, I’ll likely stick with the Mini and use the UPnP Bridge…at least until I can get a Pro for cheap.

You're right about the price point; the Mini is price competitive with a Pi but the Pro is significantly more expensive. I guess if you're not using an external DAC the Pro might still compete but then you would be looking at the Pro Plus for the better DAC.

- I now feel like buying a Mini was buying in to a beta test.

So are the squeezelite and PEQ functions working perfectly on the Pro now using an Android phone?

If so I will change my Mini for a Pro on my main hifi system.

Last edited:
So are the squeezelite and PEQ functions working perfectly on the Pro now using an Android phone?

If so I will change my Mini for a Pro on my main hifi system.
Squeezelite is but I have no use or need for PEQ so can’t say about that.

RPi is still cheaper than the Pro, though. At a $150 entry point for Pro/Squeezelite, I’ll likely stick with the Mini and use the UPnP Bridge…at least until I can get a Pro for cheap.
Is a Pi really cheaper?

You need a Pi, an SD card, a power supply, a case and either a DAC (whether it be USB or HAT) or a Digi card (and audio cable to suit). Must be a close call.

Squeezelite is but I have no use or need for PEQ so can’t say about that.

Thanks, I'll see what the price of the Pro is on Amazon Prime Day (10-11th October in UK) and get one then.

Just been playing with the PEQ on the latest update to my Mini, which arrived just now. It works very well and has improved the bass and treble response of my Sennheiser HD660S headphones. Much finer control than the GEQ. Pity it only has 4 bands, but I understand the Pro, having more memory will eventually be expanded to 10.

Last edited:
Is a Pi really cheaper?

You need a Pi, an SD card, a power supply, a case and either a DAC (whether it be USB or HAT) or a Digi card (and audio cable to suit). Must be a close call.

Funnily enought when I was looking for the "least cost" LMS player earlier this year, I bought the following

• Raspberry Pi Model B+ 1.2. This was £15 on ebay (used). You really don't need a modern Raspberry Pi as it'll work with the most basic Pi, so may as well reuse what would otherwise become e-waste.
  • DollaTek HiFi Digi+ for £20 on Amazon (new). This is a clone of the HifiBerry Digi Pro.
  • HighPi Raspberry Pi Case - £16 from PiHut. This is tall enough to allow a HAT to sit inside.

Had a microsd and old micro usb PSU already and all runs PiCorePlayer perfectly. Obviously no DAC in this as my amp has optical input already. But you can get some cheap DAC HATS for less that £30 nowadays.

For a remote I just use my phone having installed the Material skin plug-in in LMS. Looks lovely.

Funnily enought when I was looking for the "least cost" LMS player earlier this year, I bought the following

• Raspberry Pi Model B+ 1.2. This was £15 on ebay (used). You really don't need a modern Raspberry Pi as it'll work with the most basic Pi, so may as well reuse what would otherwise become e-waste.
  • DollaTek HiFi Digi+ for £20 on Amazon (new). This is a clone of the HifiBerry Digi Pro.
  • HighPi Raspberry Pi Case - £16 from PiHut. This is tall enough to allow a HAT to sit inside.

Had a microsd and old micro usb PSU already and all runs PiCorePlayer perfectly. Obviously no DAC in this as my amp has optical input already. But you can get some cheap DAC HATS for less that £30 nowadays.

For a remote I just use my phone having installed the Material skin plug-in in LMS. Looks lovely.
That's about £70-£80 then but it would be £35ish more if you had a new Pi about the same as a Mini - such a shame it doesn't have Squeezelite :(

Maybe WiiM could open the Mini for some custom firmwares to allow the community to add and maintain the squeezlite integration.

Hi T-B, your suggestion on the Squeezelite is well noted. I'll raise it with our team and we should be able to support it via the software update. Please stay tuned!
Well, it's past the one year anniversary since this reply was posted. Is there any development ?

After adding PEQ Filters there was not enough space for Squeezelite on the Mini but it has been added to Pro and Pro Plus.

Quite why PEQ Filters are considered more important I have no idea - https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/lms-squeezelite-support-mini.26/post-23166
Yes, I agree. An optional firmware build with Squeezelite instead of PEQ for Mini would be fantastic for LMS users.. I don't wish to "upgrade" to a Pro or Pro + just to pay for the additional string of code.
The product hype for the new Wiim Plus has reviewers gushing about the sound quality , but I've yet to see one talk about media server integration - they tout all the streaming services instead. I can't imagine owning any audio device that has a primary use only for paid subscriptions.

Last edited:
Back