LMS/Squeezelite Support Mini

T-B

Moving this here from the thread at the old forum (https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/discussions/topics/72000741459?page=1)

I quote cc, who started that:

<< There are thousands of Logitech Media Server users out there, with a very active forum dedicated to its use. It would be great if Squeezelite support were added to the WiiM Mini to make it a native LMS client, with the full feature set.
https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezelite >>

There was a suggestion from Wiim Support that LMS was already useable via UPnP/DLNA, which is true, but using that is quite techy and beyond many customers. Captain Paranoia put it well at the old forum:

<< I think the reply from 'WiiM Support' misses the point; WiiM will be accessible via LMS using the UPnP/DLNA, Chromecast or Airplay plugins, but not via the LMS SlimProto protocl, which supports multi-room casting. Since Squeezelite is an open source implementation of the SlimProto renderer, it would seem a fairly easy win to deploy to the WiiM.>>

So, Wiim Support, can you make implementation of LMS/Squeezelite a priority, please, both on the Mini and the upcoming Pro? And personally, It would be interesting to hear Wiim's current plans for this before I buy either of these (great seeming) products.

Remember to upvote post #1 - it was transferred from the original post which was second only to Roon and only has 17 votes today.

I'm given to understand that WiiM are actively working on Squeezelite support now that Roon is out of the way, so hopefully we'll see it sooner than later. Not sure if for both Pro and Mini but hopefully they can squeeze it into the memory limited Mini as well as the Pro.
Patience, young padawans ;)

I'm given to understand that WiiM are actively working on Squeezelite support now that Roon is out of the way, so hopefully we'll see it sooner than later. Not sure if for both Pro and Mini but hopefully they can squeeze it into the memory limited Mini as well as the Pro.
Patience, young padawans ;)
Compared to the bloated .NET mess that is Roon, Squeezelite is tiny, and fully open source. A far better piece of software engineering in nearly all respects.

Compared to the bloated .NET mess that is Roon, Squeezelite is tiny, and fully open source. A far better piece of software engineering in nearly all respects.
Yeah, if they could squeeze it (no pun intended) into the Mini, then I’m sure that would please a lot of people, not least the author of UPNPBridge who seems to pull his hair out when WiiM is mentioned 🤣

It reads like class war.
Why not be happy with your solution and accept the Rooners' way to go?
Where is the evidence for your statements? It looks like Rudy Giuliani.

Edit: And do not give me the outdated ASR opinions 😉

It reads like class war.
Why not be happy with your solution and accept the Rooners' way to go?
Where is the evidence for your statements? It looks like Rudy Giuliani.

Edit: And do not give me the outdated ASR opinions 😉
I'm a retired software engineer. I've installed the Roon Linux client and Squeezelite. There's no comparison in size - Roon requires the entire .NET runtime, just for their client app. I cringe - reminds me of the bad old days when we were required to use Java at my enterprise, even on client PCs. Ridiculous and now, thankfully, outdated.

Since Roon offered the Nucleus I use it and am happy with it. So f.e. the size of the software was never an issue. This "system" runs smooth and gentle in my Düsseldorf home till today.
Now I am for a few months in our probably new home in Northern Germany, with still quite small hifi equipment. The moment Roon Ready popped up in WiiM I tested with an old Macbook. As soon as I was convinced it works from WiiM's side I (as an IT noob and also retired) managed to built...no, to install Rock on an Intel NUC. Perfect for my needs and knowledge. So, at both homes no OS beside Rock is needed for this joy.
My last Windows use is more than 20 years history, so some of this bloat stuff should either not be an issue. Roon is the one and only computer use in my hifi environment.
Sure, it has its price. But for such a no brainer I pay it with joy.
What I never will like are such offensive statements like the end of your first post, sorry. Not every one thinking a different way than you is an uninformed moron.
But this is more a general problem, so PEACE!

Since Roon offered the Nucleus I use it and am happy with it. So f.e. the size of the software was never an issue.
But it IS exactly the issue here - it's far too big to fit on the Mini, therefore is only available on the Pro. Squeezelite is tiny, should fit nicely on the Mini. Case closed.

not least the author of UPNPBridge who seems to pull his hair out when WiiM is mentioned 🤣
I've decided to limit my presence to minimum on his thread ;)
He is the author of 2 other similar plugins - one for AirPlay devices and one for Chromecast. Needless to say the UPnP one is the one that requires the most work as to say that some devices have different implementations is a little bit of an understatement. He is also heavily involved in other LMS related areas.

Has there been any news on when this feature is coming? Sorry, am not tracking closely.

See Post 82 of this

I agree. Have been utilizing native LMS on Squeeze devices for fifteen years; nearly flawless.
With the original Logitech devices no longer in production, a WIIM utility would likely draw thousands of users over time.

Back