Long pause from NAS

Tacty

i am using music from my Qnap NAS to play through Wiim Pro...installed Minimserver on the NAS...but, whatever i play, be it high res materials or mp3 i have long pause between songs, usually between 15 to 20 seconds...wiim is connected with ethernet cable, i have optical broadband...sometimes some songs stopped in the middle...

i send feedback to support, they were reacting promptly, they noticed the problem and say they'll work out on the solution...how's your experience playing music from NAS through your Wiim Pro? i have some other 2 audio streamers, and they are communicating with NAS and minimserver without any problems...

It's interesting that WiiM say they're working on a solution as I've never heard of such a problem before.
I run MinimServer on a rpi and playback has been faultless since day one.
What happens if you use the BubbleUPnP Android app or mconnect to play music to the WiiM?

I have minimserver on a qnap nas.
Mostly use bubbleupnp, rarely use wiim home; never had anything like that.🤞
To expand on @simbun's suggestion, what about just using bubble / mconnect to play to the local tablet/phone, to take the wiim out of the equation?

Edit: although, if I had read your post properly... " i have some other 2 audio streamers, and they are communicating with NAS and minimserver without any problems..."
Still, my first two sentences show it ought to work ;)
I hope you find the problem / a solution.

Last edited:
Has it always been like this, with long delays, or started recently?
Always worth trying a reboot of everything. Nas, router, wiim etc.
You might see some clues in the minimserver logs (might need to enable debug first) - i.e. to see if the next track request comes way after the previous track finishes streaming.
You'd expect the next track request to happen shortly before the current track finishes.

It's interesting that WiiM say they're working on a solution as I've never heard of such a problem before.
I run MinimServer on a rpi and playback has been faultless since day one.
What happens if you use the BubbleUPnP Android app or mconnect to play music to the WiiM?
it's the same with the bubble upnp as well...i have mconnect on mine ipad but didn't try it...

i have wiim pro for 2 weeks only and problem shows up from the start...i tried to reboot everything and it didn't help...i even rescan music with minimserver again and restarted it...up until now i was using yamaha wx-ad10 and it works without glitch, as well as 2 sonos speakers, so it's hard to tell problem is with my network...it's pretty strange phenomena though, wait almost half a minute for next song to start...it looks like some communications between wiim pro and NAS/minimserver is broken...

Last edited:
I seem to recall seeing something similar when I failed to follow all the Bubble recommendations to prevent Android from suspending the app when the mobile is idle. It would eventually advance to the next track, but it took a while.

it's the same with the bubble upnp as well...i have mconnect on mine ipad but didn't try it...

i have wiim pro for 2 weeks only and problem shows up from the start...i tried to reboot everything and it didn't help...i even rescan music with minimserver again and restarted it...up until now i was using yamaha wx-ad10 and it works without glitch, as well as 2 sonos speakers, so it's hard to tell problem is with my network...it's pretty strange phenomena though, wait almost half a minute for next song to start...it looks like some communications between wiim pro and NAS/minimserver is broken...
You're right, it doesn't make any sense.

The only configuration I changed for the WiiM in BubbleUPnP was to enable 'Gapless Control', but the lack of gapless control shouldn't introduce a 15 second gap, at most a couple of seconds I would have thought.
Are you sure you're playing to the UPnP interface and not the Chromecast (UPnP interface looks like headphones, apparently)? Again, should only introduce a few seconds of delay at most.
Are you using BubbleUPnP Server?

Have you tried using the WiiM Home App to browse MinimServer and play to the WiiM? I know it's currently very basic but would be interesting to see if this has the same delay.

Have you tried using the WiiM Home App to browse MinimServer and play to the WiiM? I know it's currently very basic but would be interesting to see if this has the same delay.
that's how i am using it at the moment...i am using wiim home and home music share, find minimserver and browse through music folders and play them...and get long pause between tracks...tried the bubble upnp and get the same results...

maybe i am missing something, but is there any other way to play music from NAS in wiim home app?

It's just that you said you had 2 other streamers, and I doubt they're compatible with the WiiM Home App so I thought you might be using BubbleUPnP for everything.

Browsing using Home Music Share is the correct way.

Could you install MinimServer on a PC? That could narrow it down to the NAS.

Would be interested to know what WiiM say is the problem.

Could you install MinimServer on a PC? That could narrow it down to the NAS.

yes, i can try that as well...

i am still waiting for wiim answer eventually, i will post updates if they come...

it was their initial answer:

"After a thorough review by our technical experts, it has come to our attention that certain instances have arisen where the WiiM Pro encounters challenges in establishing successful communication with your server".

I guess that makes some sense as I was sure it wasn't MinimServer, although how you're the only person to experience this I don't know.

Is everything on the same subnet?
Do you have any custom firewall rules on the QNAP?
Any other configuration changes you can think of?

In some ways you want to leave everything as is so you can test the fix, but given you don't know when it's coming.

Looks like a buffering issue to me, but it's an open question if it's WiiM or UPnP/NAS fault. Another UPnP instance within you network could help to solve it.

Looks like a buffering issue to me, but it's an open question if it's WiiM or UPnP/NAS fault. Another UPnP instance within you network could help to solve it.
It's working for other streamers so it does seem WiiM specific.

I was going to ask for a 'curl -v' output to see if it could be buffering, but the result would obviously come from a different computer (possibly subnet) so wanted to clarify that first.

Others have reported media server discovery and network issues on their Synology NAS and as advised on the Synology Media Server package page reducing the SSDP advertisement interval helped. Maybe the QNAP NAS media server has a similar setting?

See this and related comments where this was discussed for Synology:

Post in thread 'Problem with DLNA ad Synology NAS (Home Music Share)'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/problem-with-dlna-ad-synology-nas-home-music-share.260/post-2893
I've previously traced the MinimServer SSDP packets and they're quite frequent already so it's very unlikely to be this (plus a lot of us here use it). Of course something could be blocking them.

Just read that post and they reduced it to 5!!!
Hopefully they saw the post from @d6jg.

Back