Macbook pro HDMI to Wiim Amp = no sound problem

Urbi

Hello Wiim community!

I have a following scenario. MIDI keyboard connected via usb to Macbook pro and need it to wire connect to Wiim amp. Airplay is out of table because causing unusable delays for this scenario. I thought that HDMI output to Wiim amp's HDMI input will work well, but seems like I was wrong. When supplied HDMI cable is connectes between Macbook and Wiim amp, nothing happend. Sound setting on mac does not show Wiim hdmi as output device, so not possible to pass sound this way.

Can someone confirm this? Shloud be this problem of Wiim Amp which is solvable by new firmware or it will not work this way?

Thanks a lot!
David

Hello Wiim community!

I have a following scenario. MIDI keyboard connected via usb to Macbook pro and need it to wire connect to Wiim amp. Airplay is out of table because causing unusable delays for this scenario. I thought that HDMI output to Wiim amp's HDMI input will work well, but seems like I was wrong. When supplied HDMI cable is connectes between Macbook and Wiim amp, nothing happend. Sound setting on mac does not show Wiim hdmi as output device, so not possible to pass sound this way.

Can someone confirm this? Shloud be this problem of Wiim Amp which is solvable by new firmware or it will not work this way?

Thanks a lot!
David
I think that the HDMI of the WiiM amp is basically ARC for connection with a TV or PC monitor.

Therefore, if you connect it like this, you should be able to output audio from the amp.

MacBook -> ( out -> HDMI -> in) -> Monitor -> ( HDMI ARC) -> Wiim amp

Alternatively, you can use an HDMI audio separator to convert your Mac's HDMI to coaxial or optical and connect it to the amp.

Thank you guys for such prompt reply.

So looks like thing like this should do the trick. If not via HDMI out, than optical out should work I think.

Thank you guys for such prompt reply.

So looks like thing like this should do the trick. If not via HDMI out, than optical out should work I think.
Depending on the model of HDMI separator, you may need to connect HDMI to your TV to output audio. Ask the Amazon seller beforehand. 🙂

Depending on the model of HDMI separator, you may need to connect HDMI to your TV to output audio. Ask the Amazon seller beforehand. 🙂
Thanks, but I do not have an TV in this setup. I just need some connection from macbook to wiim amp.

The easiest way would be a 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable from your Mac to the RCA inputs on the WiiM amp. Alternatively a USB sound card with optical out will work keeping the signal path digital. HDMI sound extractor with optical out also is a possibility. I am also lamenting that the HDMI on the WiiM amp is ARC only. I would like to use the HDMI output of my Intel NUC Roon Core to feed into the amp but can't.

Back