No sound from SPDIF out.

WiiMShady

Was working fine on my Yamaha, sound cut out. Will work in Aux. Tested on Denon, same issue no sound from any rate thru SPDIF. What Ive tried:
1. Rebooting Wiim
2. Restoring Wiim
3. Multiple chords
4. Used multiple sources TuneIn / Amazon / My Music.
5. Reset Yamaha (same issue)
6. Tried on Denon (same issue).

Getting frustrated here.

Optical cable seated properly / fully at each end, and not too bent? (Probably, seeing as you said multiple chords.)
Nothing from the test tones either? (Could be what you meant by no sound from any rate).
Between those, volume and output already mentioned, I can't think of much else, unless you've not got the amps on the right input! (Seems unlikely.)

Also done. Here is the odd thing. I replugged WiiM into same Yamaha SPDIF input (now for the third time after trying several other amps) and all seems be working. Im going to monitor as it as seemed to be resolved before and then will suddenly drop out. This all started in June.

The next time you have trouble, remove the Toslink of the Yamaha amplifier and check if the tip is glowing red. If there is no light, the Toslink socket on the WiiM mini may be broken or have poor contact.

Edit: Don't look directly at the red light

Last edited:
Any luck? Just got my mini and can't get sound from SPDif on my Yamaha rx-v385. Line out to an rca input on the receiver is working fine. Ive rebooted everything and verified output set to SPDif. Can't even hear the test tones when trying different SPDif settings.

Any luck? Just got my mini and can't get sound from SPDif on my Yamaha rx-v385. Line out to an rca input on the receiver is working fine. Ive rebooted everything and verified output set to SPDif. Can't even hear the test tones when trying different SPDif settings.
Have you tried all the sample rate settings?
The V385 may only support optical digital output up to 24bit/48kHz.

My V780 output up to 96kHz in optical digital and up to 192kHz in coax.

Also, is the input of the V385 properly switched?

The V385 specification states that it supports digital output up to 96kHz. If you have already tried this sample rate, check to see if there is a problem with the cable connection. It is also worth trying other cables. Remove the cap of the optical cable.

Thanks. Have triple checked the receiver input js set to the correct one and have tried all permutations of SPDif settings. I've disconnected and reconnected the cable a few times, but still no luck. Definitely seeing the red light coming out of the Wiim. I guess I can try getting a different cable, but don't have one handy.

Can you connect that cable to other device and test it?

For example, TV optical out > V385

If you get audio with this, I think there is no problem with the cable.

Can you connect that cable to other device and test it?

For example, TV optical out > V385

If you get audio with this, I think there is no problem with the cable.
Thanks I thought of trying that (TV is my only other device with optical out). Of course the tv is too far away from the receiver to reach. I'll grab another cable to test.

Ok I solved it. My receiver has only one optical input. By default the HDMI ARC takes over that one input (we never use that feature so I wasn't aware of it). I was able to switch the ARC to commandeer a different (unused) input and now the optical works great. Sorry for the confusion everyone but hopefully this may help someone else having the same problem.

Back