Output question

Aallard189

Just got my wiim mini and have it hooked up to my Aiyima T9 via optical. When I play Amazon music I can never get output past 48/24. It seems to always have a higher quality then the device output is lower. I am using iPhone 12 Pro Max via Bluetooth and/or airplay. The aiyima says the internal fax should play 192/24. Is this something where I need a better DAC? I have the output settings on the Wiim set at 192/24 and the t at tone plays fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2898.png
    IMG_2898.png
    379.2 KB · Views: 9
I fear neither bluetooth nor airplay is able to give you more than 24/48.
What happens when you use Amazon MHD via the WiiM app?
Output to "fixed" and the optical setting to 192/24

Just got my wiim mini and have it hooked up to my Aiyima T9 via optical. When I play Amazon music I can never get output past 48/24. It seems to always have a higher quality then the device output is lower. I am using iPhone 12 Pro Max via Bluetooth and/or airplay. The aiyima says the internal fax should play 192/24. Is this something where I need a better DAC? I have the output settings on the Wiim set at 192/24 and the t at tone plays fine.
You’re using airplay from your screenshot which will at best give you 24/44.1 or 24/48 , if your iOS device doesn’t actually transcode it to lossy AAC.

You need to have enabled Alexa in the WiiM Home app, and then you can use AlexaCast from the Amazon Music app to cast directly to your WiiM device. Note that when you do, the above screen won‘t be available but you can see the playing quality in the WiiM Home app now playing screen.

Or, as above, play Amazon Music directly from the WiiM Home app.

You’re using airplay from your screenshot which will at best give you 24/44.1 or 24/48 , if your iOS device doesn’t actually transcode it to lossy AAC.

You need to have enabled Alexa in the WiiM Home app, and then you can use AlexaCast from the Amazon Music app to cast directly to your WiiM device. Note that when you do, the above screen won‘t be available but you can see the playing quality in the WiiM Home app now playing screen.

Or, as above, play Amazon Music directly from the WiiM Home app.
Okay will take a look at it again tonight. Yeah I posted the wrong picture. This is the one from Bluetooth. I will double check my settings tonight. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2899.png
    IMG_2899.png
    386.3 KB · Views: 6
Again, bluetooth is a lossy format with limited bandwidth, even for the newer codecs like LDAC and APTX which the WiiM devices don’t support. The best that a WiiM device will do is around 384kbps as it just uses the SBC codec.

As advised, used AlexaCast (if that’s available in your region) or use the WiiM Home app - bluetooth or airplay just don’t cut it when it comes to hi res lossless formats.

With all due respect..this tiny T9 or even the T9PRO runs an in-built DAC which is no way better than the WiiMs in-built DAC.
So, I bet, you surely will not be able to hear the slightest difference between Airplay and 192/24. Maybe the difference to the lossy bt SBC "codec". But resolution and over-all sound quality from the T9 will not let you hear any advantage of HiRes. But I know that was not your question and the above hints have showed you the answer.
Even in the embattled market of these small and cheap amps/DACs it is the bottom line. Good fun for little money and surely not the worst way to listen to music. But don't expect to much. You would face the T9 unfair 😉

With all due respect..this tiny T9 or even the T9PRO runs an in-built DAC which is no way better than the WiiMs in-built DAC.
So, I bet, you surely will not be able to hear the slightest difference between Airplay and 192/24. Maybe the difference to the lossy bt SBC "codec". But resolution and over-all sound quality from the T9 will not let you hear any advantage of HiRes. But I know that was not your question and the above hints have showed you the answer.
Even in the embattled market of these small and cheap amps/DACs it is the bottom line. Good fun for little money and surely not the worst way to listen to music. But don't expect to much. You would face the T9 unfair 😉
I appreciate all the feedback. I understand it’s not the best equipment. Just trying to upgrade from my powered Klipsch r-41pm. Unfortunately, have a bunch medical things coming up with the wife and dogs so having to take the cheap route currently. I really do appreciate the insight though.

@Aallard189
The last thing I wanted was to be dismissive and I hope you do not understand my lines in that way. Life is not always easy and if one has to decide money spending for the family instead for the hobby...RESPECT!

Back