Optical output issues (again) at 24/192 kHZ to external iFi DAC

BigLol

I have the WiiM Mini connected, via the optical output, to an iFi ZEN One Signature DAC and when I switch the SPDIF Output to 24/192 kHZ the Test Audio track is horribly distorted. The same happens to any of my local 24/192 FLAC files sent to the DAC from the Wiim Mini over DNLA. The 24/192 FLACs work on other DAC's and I've tested the optical TOSLINK cable(s), incuding the one that came with the Wiim and they work too. If I set the output to 24/96 kHz it works fine and it plays the FLACs but I have quite a large library of >24/96 HD tracks on my SAN.

Is anyone else using an iFi DAC as an external DAC from the WiiM mini? ...and yes I have a ticket open with iFi support.

I have the WiiM Mini connected, via the optical output, to an iFi ZEN One Signature DAC and when I switch the SPDIF Output to 24/192 kHZ the Test Audio track is horribly distorted. The same happens to any of my local 24/192 FLAC files sent to the DAC from the Wiim Mini over DNLA. The 24/192 FLACs work on other DAC's and I've tested the optical TOSLINK cable(s), incuding the one that came with the Wiim and they work too. If I set the output to 24/96 kHz it works fine and it plays the FLACs but I have quite a large library of >24/96 HD tracks on my SAN.

Is anyone else using an iFi DAC as an external DAC from the WiiM mini? ...and yes I have a ticket open with iFi support.

There is a similar case in Japan.

That user also experienced noise 24/192 to Zen one signature. Like you, 24/96 is fine.

This matter is open. It may not be compatible with IFI products.

Last edited:
If you convert the optical digital output to Coaxial, I think 24/192 will be fine.

He returned the mini and is waiting for the pro.

Last edited:
If you convert the optical digital output to Coaxial, I think 24/192 will be fine.

He returned the mini and is waiting for the pro.
Interesting, I suspect the issue is the optical input on the iFi dac but I’m stuck as all my streamers only have optical for digital output.

I got the PRO this Froday and set it right away to 192 kHz a s 24 bit output. Using the included toslink as output and testing it with the test tone. Today I wanted to play an album on my NAS that is 24 bit 192 kHz FLAC. To my great surprise I got distortion!

I rebooted and tested back and forth with the settings. Eventually I tried to swap cables (I got currently three toslink in total, will be buying some more soon though, unrelated to this issue), here's what I found (also sent to the support team):

Switching from the included cable to the cable I use from my TV yielded NO SOUND 192 kHz, playing the test tone.

Switching out the cable again to the third toslink (that I've used to connect my CCA to my amp previously the crackling disappeared!

Funny enough, switching back the cable I took from the TV and playing the same song from the DLNA player in webOS (LG) there is sound. I don't get it. Perhaps the webOS app demands a downsampled version from the server or maybe it is downsampled in the TV before sending it to the DAC, thoughts?

So it's not isolated to the mini at least. Also, I relaised I wrote DAC and AMP in the message above, it's an integrated amp NAD c368 so it's the same unit/input.

My mini when connected to my Fosi K5 Pro with an optical cable will play 192Khz with no problems. Using the same cable and adding the Toslink mini adaptor to connect to my gryphon and I get heavy distortion. When I pull the cable halfway out the distortion reduces by 99%. This seems to be a device problem with certain DAC's. I too will be talking to iFi.

I have been seeing wide range of issue on optical and coax. Hopefully, the next product will include usb and that will be my end game. Most user use external dac with usb in as standard feature.

I have an IfI xdsd Gryphon with optical/spdif though i need a mini toslink adapter to try this out. Wondering now if there will be an issue.

I have an IfI xdsd Gryphon with optical/spdif though i need a mini toslink adapter to try this out. Wondering now if there will be an issue.
I have used both cables with 3.5mm mini connectors and ones with adapters fitted and both have worked for 24/192. However, I have also had one adapter fail when the clear plastic tube came out and one cable just only work to 24/192. Unfortunately, I could find no reason for the cable not working to that standard, as one from the same manufacturer worked fine at that rate. Much more worked than didn't. I have always assumed that the data transfer bitrate needed for 24/192 is at the upper end of what the toslink standard is certified to carry and some cables just don't hit to spot.

Back