Pro kills other DLNA server in LAN (solved)

anli

Hi,

I have NAS with DLNA library (Manjaro, minidlna) in the home LAN. When Pro is connected to the LAN (via Ethernet), VLC (have no got other clients in hands) rumning on any device in the LAN (workstation, phones, tablet...) don't see any DLNA libraries in the net at all (while I was sure I'll find two: on the NAS and the Pro). After turning Pro power off and restarting router and minidlnad NAS' DLNA library is visible again.

What's the magic?

The Pro is used as Chromecast device connected to DAC with coaxial cable. Firmware and WiiM app are both having the last versions.

Have tried few times cases with WiiM Pro connected directly to the router and via TP-Link LS1005G with the same result.

Where to dig in?

I've just tested your scenario with the PRO over ethernet and VLC still sees my music server (MinimServer). Obviously the PRO won't appear as a library in VLC as it's a renderer.
Have you tried another control point?

I've just tested your scenario with the PRO over ethernet and VLC still sees my music server (MinimServer). Obviously the PRO won't appear as a library in VLC as it's a renderer.
Have tried with BubbleUPnP with the same result: on turning WiiM Pro power on that DLNA library disappears for BubbleUPnP also.

Well, and WiiM app it self does see that DLNA NAS libarary. Can it be Pro connects the libarary some exclusive way shadowing it from other DLNA control points?

The PRO (the WiiM hardware) only connects to the media server when the control point (BubbleUPnP/WiiM app) tells the PRO what music to play and from where, so it can't be the PRO blocking the server, unless it's flooding the network with broadcasts but I haven't seen any reports of that. The only thing that happens (in terms of discovery) when you turn the PRO on is that it announces itself using UPnP and mDNS.

Do you have any other UPnP renderers, and are they visible in BubbleUPnP when the PRO is on?
Could you install another server on the same machine to see if it has the same problem?

Bizarre indeed!

Do you have any other UPnP renderers, and are they visible in BubbleUPnP when the PRO is on?
No, I haven't.
Could you install another server on the same machine to see if it has the same problem?
Have installed https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Rygel , played from it with Hi-Fi Cast on the same device as WiiM app is installed, all is Ok. But after turning power on the Pro kills them both (Rygel and MiniDLNA).
Bizarre indeed!
Thanks, I see your real intention to help.

VLC will show Renderers under Playback / Renderer but it does not show my WiiM Mini

1680280258496.png

No, I haven't.

Have installed https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Rygel , played from it with Hi-Fi Cast on the same device as WiiM app is installed, all is Ok. But after turning power on the Pro kills them both (Rygel and MiniDLNA).

Thanks, I see your real intention to help.
Does the Pro work with other things e.g. Internet Radio, Spotify etc - is it just UPnP/DLNA where you have the problem?

VLC will show Renderers under Playback / Renderer but it does not show my WiiM Mini
At my case it shows WiiM Pro and <Local>.

Does the Pro work with other things e.g. Internet Radio, Spotify etc - is it just UPnP/DLNA where you have the problem?
Yes, as I have mentioned above, I use Pro as Chromecast device to play to coax -> DAC -> amplifier chain, and (almost) all is Ok here. I don't want to use and don't use any DLNA capabilities of Pro, just want to prevent existing DLNA libraries to disappear.

At my case it shows WiiM Pro and <Local>.
Sinbun couldn't see his Pro but you can see yours.
Is that because it is the Pro as Chromecast that is displaying not the UPnP player?
My Mini isn't visible because it does not act as Chromecast and VLC doesn't see it as a valid UPnP renderer.

Doesn't explain why powering it on should crash the DLNA servers though but might explain why you can't play to it via VLC.

Sorry I said it won't appear as a library, I didn't realise that VLC could cast too.
As has been said before, it looks like VLC doesn't support UPnP renderers as it sees my chromecast devices but not by WiiM mini or Sonos speaker.

Sorry I said it won't appear as a library, I didn't realise that VLC could cast too.
As has been said before, it looks like VLC doesn't support UPnP renderers as it sees my chromecast devices but not by WiiM mini or Sonos speaker.
So if VLC is seeing anli's Pro it must be seeing it as a Chromecast - do you agree?

@anli - is VLC open when you power up the Pro?

At any case any details regarding the way VLC works doesn't help here. DLNA servers (MiniDLNA, Rygel) become invisible for controllers (Hi-Fi Cast, BubblUPnP, VLC,..) when Pro is in LAN. Have tried to turn UPnP component off on the router in use, but it doesn't change anything. Has anybody heard about router configuration influencing DLNA functioning?

At any case any details regarding the way VLC works doesn't help here. DLNA servers (MiniDLNA, Rygel) become invisible for controllers (Hi-Fi Cast, BubblUPnP, VLC,..) when Pro is in LAN. Have tried to turn UPnP component off on the router in use, but it doesn't change anything. Has anybody heard about router configuration influencing DLNA functioning?
Yes. Router configuration can block UPnP broadcast. Rogue UPnP devices are known to flood and crash networks.

I was wondering whether VLC was constantly scanning for your Pro and that was part of the issue.

I was wondering whether VLC was constantly scanning for your Pro and that was part of the issue.
The thing is, without Pro in LAN there aren't any problems at all.

I have tried this sequence:

- turn Pro off
- reboot router (without rebooting DLNA visibility doesn't restore, at least during few minutes)
- start VLC
- explore DLNA lib with VLC
- turn Pro power on
- continue exploring DLNA folders with VLC (no problems)
- restart VLC - no DLNA in LAN

So, my humble guess is it is the Pro the reason of router decision to block some packets.
Is my logic wrong?

I have tried to find some DLNA-related settings in WiiM app for the Pro as device (say, to disable DLNA functionality at all), but was not lucky.

My VLC install can sometimes see a Renderer and sometimes not. I don't think its implementation of UPnP is particularly good.
Have you tried without VLC in the chain at all ?

Get everything switched on, go to Home Music Share in WiiM App - can you find DLNA servers, browse and successfully play something to Pro?

So if VLC is seeing anli's Pro it must be seeing it as a Chromecast - do you agree?
Absolutely.

Have tried to turn UPnP component off on the router in use, but it doesn't change anything. Has anybody heard about router configuration influencing DLNA functioning?
The UPnP router setting is more to do with the services that the router provisions over UPnP, namely the Internet Gateway Device Protocol, which allows things like automatic port-forwarding.

There's also IGMP Snooping that I mentioned here.

Last edited:
Back