Pro - Power Consumption

jim

Is the 1.2A (being fed from Allo Shanti) enough power for the Pro?

Would like to replace Mini with a Pro because of the wired Ethernet. Qobuz told me that for a 192khz output I would need a wired connection, WiFi was not enough. Would not like to change my setup- Mini/Pro - Allo Shanti- IFI Neo IDSD- Dynaudio 14A.

( The other feed from the Allo, 3.5A, goes to the IFI Neo).

Thank you

Qobuz told me that for a 192khz output I would need a wired connection, WiFi was not enough.
That'll be news to my Pro, which takes 24/192 from Qobuz over WiFi without a hitch.
24/192 requires 'only' around 10-15Mbps (allowing for protocol overheads).

Yeah, I reckon they are just covering their behinds.
Just like not delivering 192 over chromecast, factors outside their control (placement of the transmitter / reciever, congestion etc. etc.) could make 192 stutter at times, so easier to say wired's required so it can't come back on them.

Is the 1.2A (being fed from Allo Shanti) enough power for the Pro?

Would like to replace Mini with a Pro because of the wired Ethernet. Qobuz told me that for a 192khz output I would need a wired connection, WiFi was not enough. Would not like to change my setup- Mini/Pro - Allo Shanti- IFI Neo IDSD- Dynaudio 14A.

( The other feed from the Allo, 3.5A, goes to the IFI Neo).

Thank you
It is not the amperage, it is the voltage. The WiiM Pro and WiiM mini both need a 5v connection. Anymore than that, you may fry the power supply in the WiiM. Amperage is meaningless with these low power devices.

It is not the amperage, it is the voltage. The WiiM Pro and WiiM mini both need a 5v connection. Anymore than that, you may fry the power supply in the WiiM. Amperage is meaningless with these low power devices.
The Pro manual stipulates 5V, 1.5A or higher
Yet a FAQ says "You can use any USB socket adapter that has a 5V-1A output to power your WiiM device."
Confusing...

Last edited:
The Pro manual stipulates 5V, 1.5A or higher
Yet a FAQ says "You can use any USB socket adapter that has a 5V-1A output to power your WiiM device."
Confusing...
That FAQ pre-dates the Pro though and would have referred to the Mini which was the only WiiM device available at the time.

"

Round 1 - power consumption

The Pro Plus is more power hungry. It needs almost 2.6 W (0.5 A / 5.1 V) when idle with a wired network. It rises to above 4.5 W (0.9 A / 5.1 V) when sine 1 kHz at 96 kHz is played. On the other hand the Pro needs 1.3 W (0.25 A / 5.1 V) and almost 1.7 W (0.32 A / 5.1 V) respectively.
"
from onlyoneme

Last edited:
a big erratum on my part...
if I pointed out in my use a fairly low consumption even with a "plus", it was just on a low resolution radio stream...but if in fact the consumption skyrockets with the resolution...
my point and the use of a simple 1A even with a "plus" becomes obsolete..
but above all invites a big precaution that I have not read it seems to me...

it is during the "subjective" tests of alimentation, to clearly specify the type of resolution, see to heavily demand, at maximum, the power supply, as a precaution, only use music files that are at high resolution.....
"stress test"

;-)

Last edited:
Happy to inform that I have been running the Pro off the second rail of the Alo Shanti (1.2 A) for four months now, for hours, every day (retired), Qobuz only (of course, plenty of Hi-Res). I “splurged” on IFI LAN Silencer (into the Pro) and two short runs of Cat 6 Cable.

Attachments

• IMG_2519.jpeg
    IMG_2519.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Been running the Pro via bundled PS and streaming 24/192 on Wifi since Day 1. No probs in stuttering/buffering or electric gremlins. KISS baby.

Pro +
I have not seen it take more than .65A for any stream (wifi or optical in, analog out). I have a new one to setup so I'll watch the input current during any possible updates and report anything new.

Pro +
I have not seen it take more than .65A for any stream (wifi or optical in, analog out). I have a new one to setup so I'll watch the input current during any possible updates and report anything new.
on my side, as a pro plus, on just a constant radio stream, 192k aac, or radio paradise on wifi (not ethernet), on the 2v analog output...am clearly less than 0.55A... ;-)
but at 192k/24 ??? seem less than 0.6A ...

Last edited:
Pro +
Ok when setting up a Pro+ I watched the volts & current demanded from the power supply and the highest peak current--a couple brief blips during installing the update--was .72A.
As with my other unit it spends most its time hovering around .55A. It doesn't change much whether it's streaming standard def radio, hi-res streams, decoding Flac files from my library, or playing CDs via optical input.

Certainly no problem for the 2A adapter it ships with.

Back