Pro update V4.8.605650

Per source volume control is nice, but I'd really like to see per source EQ. That way I'd be able to have a voice boost EQ for TV and an EQ with more bass for music over wi-fi. Does anyone know if this is planned?

I believe it simply remembers the last volume you were using per input.
i.e. it's not a default volume per input as such.
Ah, I see. Less useful than I’d hoped then. I just wanted to default give a volume boost to my tv (optical in) since it’s a fair bit quieter than my music streams, but since I have my volume locked at 100% to preserve quality for music streaming, it’s not going to be able to do what I wanted. Ah well. Not a real issue in the grand scheme of things.

Ah, I see. Less useful than I’d hoped then. I just wanted to default give a volume boost to my tv (optical in) since it’s a fair bit quieter than my music streams, but since I have my volume locked at 100% to preserve quality for music streaming, it’s not going to be able to do what I wanted. Ah well. Not a real issue in the grand scheme of things.
Just had a little play with this feature myself.
Indeed, with fixed volume enabled, per source volume doesn't work. Ideally, I think the fixed and volume limit settings should be per source too.

Still, if you want to give tv a boost but not attenute streaming digitally to preserve the signal then yes, seems you are out of luck!
(At least until per source EQ comes along and you could maybe boost all frequencies? Clipping issues though?)
I understand the intent to preserve quality. For me, I really don't think I can tell the difference between using my amp to change volume with the wiim set to fixed vs settting the amp to a 'fixed' volume and using the wiim for volume control.
For convenience I've settled on turning off fixed volume, but still often run the wiim at full volume and use the amp's remote anyway.
Best of both worlds...

Just had a little play with this feature myself.
Indeed, with fixed volume enabled, per source volume doesn't work. Ideally, I think the fixed and volume limit settings should be per source too.

Still, if you want to give tv a boost but not attenute streaming digitally to preserve the signal then yes, seems you are out of luck!
(At least until per source EQ comes along and you could maybe boost all frequencies? Clipping issues though?)
I understand the intent to preserve quality. For me, I really don't think I can tell the difference between using my amp to change volume with the wiim set to fixed vs settting the amp to a 'fixed' volume and using the wiim for volume control.
For convenience I've settled on turning off fixed volume, but still often run the wiim at full volume and use the amp's remote anyway.
Best of both worlds...
Very interesting, I also have been trying to find a way to increase my TV optical input. It’s much lower than my digital streaming, no matter if I input it to my Pro, or my Dac/preamp.
maybe I will unfix the volume of the Pro and try this new per source volume.

I set 100% digital volume for optical in and 80% volume for Ethernet/Wifi source.
You shouldn't loose much quality in using Wiim's digital volume, if any.

Fixed: -141.8dB THD+N
≃75%: -138.2dB THD+N
≃50%: -131.5dB THD+N
≃25%: -115.5dB THD+N
≃10%: -99.6dB THD+N
(credits : VintageFlanker on ASR)

I set 100% digital volume for optical in and 80% volume for Ethernet/Wifi source.
You shouldn't loose much quality in using Wiim's digital volume, if any.

Fixed: -141.8dB THD+N
≃75%: -138.2dB THD+N
≃50%: -131.5dB THD+N
≃25%: -115.5dB THD+N
≃10%: -99.6dB THD+N
(credits : VintageFlanker on ASR)
With your setting, are you using RCA output, or a digital output to a dac?
I am wondering if those setting makes a difference on all outputs or just the analog output.

With your setting, are you using RCA output, or a digital output to a dac?
I am wondering if those setting makes a difference on all outputs or just the analog output.
I think it's the data of the digital output.

We are currently exploring the implementation of a feature that will allow setting a `Fixed Output Volume` for each input source, with our engineering team actively working on its development.
Terminology and consistent usage are important here.
Fixed volume? Max volume? Default volume?
Interested to see what happens in this space!

I think it's the data of the digital output.
Yes, I'm only using digital out to external DAC.
Wiim's volume change is synchronised with Wiim's source change through a fairly complex setup with Logitech harmony sending commands to Home Assistant (emulated roku) translating into http API commands to Wiim. Very reliable but quite a mess to setup initially. So I would be happier with Wiim allowing max/fixed volume setting per source.

We are currently exploring the implementation of a feature that will allow setting a `Fixed Output Volume` for each input source, with our engineering team actively working on its development.
Might volume limit be included in that too please? I use fixed volume and a volume limit of 94% so I have some headroom for my PEQ settings

Might volume limit be included in that too please? I use fixed volume and a volume limit of 94% so I have some headroom for my PEQ settings

That's a very interesting question.
3 modifications come to mind.

1. Fixed volume and independent volume limit
The volume limit applies to all inputs. In other words, if the limit is 95%, the maximum volume of all inputs will be 95%.

2. Abolished volume limit
I can fix it at any volume for each input. This eliminates the need for volume limiting.

3. Add volume limit to all inputs
This allows you to limit the volume at any rate for each input.
This allows you to limit the volume to only those inputs that you don't want to have a fixed volume.

Last edited:
Maybe anchoring volume limit etc to the audio output would make more sense e.g. used fixed volume and volume limit for the coax output, but use a preset volume and fixed volume off for analog output…

Maybe anchoring volume limit etc to the audio output would make more sense e.g. used fixed volume and volume limit for the coax output, but use a preset volume and fixed volume off for analog output…
Do you want to put a volume limit on each output instead of each input? 😳

I thought that the fixed volume function of each input was a function to eliminate the volume difference between inputs. 🤔

Back