Review of WiiM amp by ASR

Wiimer

Major Contributor
Measured and reviewed by Amirm.

I'll read now. 🤗

It seems obvious that Wiim amp is better than Powernode edge. 🤔

Erins review claimed he lost approx. 30watts with multitone testing, but i see no mention of that here or in the other thread.

Honestly whatever the measurements say, the Wiim Amp sounds fine, a little leaner than it's bigger brothers in my collection, but very enjoyable

Since I've been beaten by both Erin and Amir in few days, I shared my data anyway:

Erins review claimed he lost approx. 30watts with multitone testing, but i see no mention of that here or in the other thread.
Personally measured about 25W loss. Honestly... it is absolutely to be expected with most amplifiers. None is designed to handle 64 full scale sines in the same time (this is an extreme test, absolutely more stressful than any music content), Even more with tiny TPA 3255 with small SMPS such as the Amp.

Needless to say, SINAD is not the only measurement. 😉
Good note for those who have no clue how to read ASR reviews but still insist to debunk them anyway...

Since I've been beaten by both Erin and Amir in few days, I shared my data anyway:

Hi, @VintageFlanker ,

Thanks for sharing great data. Anyway, I'm very happy to see a lot of measurements. Thank you for your volunteer work. 😉

Maybe I should send you and @onlyoneme an Amazon gift card. 🤣

Personally measured about 25W loss. Honestly... it is absolutely to be expected with most amplifiers. None is designed to handle 64 full scale sines in the same time (this is an extreme test, absolutely more stressful than any music content), Even more with tiny TPA 3255 with small SMPS such as the Amp.
sure, but at 15:37 he says it doesnt happen with the other amplifier he has at hand.
its cheap, but it still shows the difference between a simple and a good amp. so why is this not a test criteria for any amps on ASR? impulse response is also missing from all dacs.

sure, but at 15:37 he says it doesnt happen with the other amplifier he has at hand.
"Says". He has to show it, then. For now, I didn't see any of that with NAD 3050 data he shared on Patreon (apart from non-dependant FR contrary the the WiiM Amp). I would be curious to see that as well. ;)
so why is this not a test criteria for any amps on ASR?
It's a test criteria for literally no one in the industry, I regret. None of those who have measured amps for decades (Stereophile, SoundStage, Audioholics, Hi-Fi News) do show MT VS Power measurements. REW has a stepped test for it, so perhaps I will look into that...
impulse response is also missing from all dacs.
That we couldn't care less. It performed exactly as it should for each filter (refering to x chip datasheet) for any D/S DACs I tested. Perhaps for R2R or in-house design, it could be interesting.

I would only partially confirm Erin's findings. With a 65 tones multitone signal and minimized crest factor I can generate -1.1 dBFS RMS signal without any digital clipping. For both channel driven and 4 ohm load it results in 16.21 Vrms output level. The same RMS source level in case of pure sine 1 kHz signal results in 19.53 Vrms output level. In terms of the power it will be 65 W versus 95 W.

EDIT
My mistake, I missed that I had sub out active. It affected results. Correct ones:

With a 65 tones multitone signal and minimized crest factor I can generate -1.1 dBFS RMS signal without any digital clipping. For both channels driven and 4 ohm load it results in 18.7 Vrms output level. The same RMS source level in case of pure sine 1 kHz signal results in 19.5 Vrms output level. In terms of the power it will be 87 W versus 95 W.

But there is a catch in it - the thermal management system implemented in the Amp. It will force the output level to be lowered after some time when using such high signal levels without a proper cooling.

Last edited:
For 226 tones multitone it will be respectively -0.9 dBFS, 19.2 Vrms vs 20 Vrms and 92 W vs 100 W.

In case of 0 dBFS RMS signal which clips inevitably for multitone, results are 21.1 Vrms vs 22.2 Vrms and 111 W vs 123 W.

For 226 tones multitone it will be respectively -0.9 dBFS, 19.2 Vrms vs 20 Vrms and 92 W vs 100 W.

In case of 0 dBFS RMS signal which clips inevitably for multitone, results are 21.1 Vrms vs 22.2 Vrms and 111 W vs 123 W.
the rew generator is remarkably educational for this...
for these reasons I was wondering about the methodology of the "erin s" test for these reasons of saturation with its 65...
if it reads us and can enlighten us....? ;-)

Back