WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements

I've never seen audiophiles looking for measurements... They only want ultra-low-noise-LPSes and ultra-precise-femto-clocks.
Can I have a femto clock with extra low noise and a black coffee?

I think it's just an app to setup the device for many.
For me that is totally true.
Only today someone was saying 6 or was it 8 presses to get something to play from their DLNA server

I think it's just an app to setup the device for many.
I’d tend to agree, particularly with the availability (and preferability?) of connect mechanisms such as those employed by Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music and hopefully soon, Qobuz. Not to mention mature and well respected apps like BubbleUPNP, nor indeed LMS or Roon.

However, there are some who think that the WHA should be a universal app and front end to all the supported music services without realising that that’s a very steep mountain to climb given the often lacklustre third party APIs available to developers like WiiM.

For me that is totally true.
Only today someone was saying 6 or was it 8 presses to get something to play from their DLNA server
Was that not in relation to Plex and wouldn’t that be driven by whatever menu system the Plex DLNA server offered - for example, navigating Minimserver is different to navigating AssetUPNP or Synology’s Media Server etc?

Deezer FLAC is supported by LMS. Have you tried it?
Was that not in relation to Plex and wouldn’t that be driven by whatever menu system the Plex DLNA server offered - for example, navigating Minimserver is different to navigating AssetUPNP or Synology’s Media Server etc?
Yes but it is indicative of the issue with UPnP/DLNA unless you are using a middleware - BubbleUPNP or similar.

I agree with you. WiiM stand little (or no) chance of making the app what some people think it should be. It’s just not possible given the APIs available and the fact that DLNA servers aren’t all the same.

WiiM has opened the door to lots of people who don’t really have any knowledge of how this all works. That’s not a sleight on them.

Is that single or double?

Deezer FLAC is supported by LMS. Have you tried it?

Yes but it is indicative of the issue with UPnP/DLNA unless you are using a middleware - BubbleUPNP or similar.

I agree with you. WiiM stand little (or no) chance of making the app what some people think it should be. It’s just not possible given the APIs available and the fact that DLNA servers aren’t all the same.

WiiM has opened the door to lots of people who don’t really have any knowledge of how this all works. That’s not a sleight on them.
I have numerous stream services available via plugins on LMS including YouTube, BBC, podcasts, etc
I am waiting patiently, well not patiently, for a squeezelite functionality on my Wiim
It's on the roadmap and I believe it may be ready shortly
Then I would use my LMS server to control everything in the house for audio playback or use them alone when I shut down the server
It's a very nice setup and much cheaper but not any less usable as a roon setup, which a cousin of mine has

PS a double to go....

I have numerous stream services available via plugins on LMS including YouTube, BBC, podcasts, etc
I am waiting patiently, well not patiently, for a squeezelite functionality on my Wiim
It's on the roadmap and I believe it may be ready shortly
Then I would use my LMS server to control everything in the house for audio playback or use them alone when I shut down the server
It's a very nice setup and much cheaper but not any less usable as a roon setup, which a cousin of mine has
Moi aussi

Yeah, plus a few who read things into the product description that isn’t there, like the recent request to cast to echos from a Pro’s line input…

Yeah, plus a few who read things into the product description that isn’t there, like the recent request to cast to echos from a Pro’s line input…
I think I can actually do that with my LMS set up but I’ve not tried.
I can definitely stream anything from one HiFi system including vinyl into any number of LMS players on either an individual or synced basis.
Using the LMS Mediaserver Skill I think I should be able to tell Alexa to stream said input but I’ve not tried. A job for the weekend when my wife is still asleep.

I think I can actually do that with my LMS set up but I’ve not tried.
I can definitely stream anything from one HiFi system including vinyl into any number of LMS players on either an individual or synced basis.
Using the LMS Mediaserver Skill I think I should be able to tell Alexa to stream said input but I’ve not tried. A job for the weekend when my wife is still asleep.
I’d be very surprised tbh unless it uses the group preferred speaker workaround/ loophole that skills like My Media use

I’d be very surprised tbh unless it uses the group preferred speaker workaround/ loophole that skills like My Media use
Sorry should have been clear. This is not using a WiiM as the ADC. I’m using a Pi configured with Liquidsoap and an instance of Icecast and then tuning into the stream with LMS.
The sort of thing we all do! :)

Amaging!
I think it would be such a great update.
Good luck to the team that continues to take on the challenge of developing an unprecedented streamer.

You are my superhero and No1.☺️
Thank you so much!

Back