WiiM Pro objective measurements

cc_rider

Major Contributor
Pretty much confirms what we already knew: The WiiM Pro is a near-perfect performer in the digital domain, so long as the EQ is kept disabled, and a mediocre performer in the analog domain (which definitely isn't what I bought it for).

WiiM, I hope you will team with a great DAC company, like Topping, for your next project. You have nailed the digital part.

Seems like a good review on the digital side but the internal analog-to-digital converter (ADC) is pretty poor and the DAC could be better.

Anyone know of a good consumer grade ADC that isn't super expensive? I have a cheap $17 USD ADC from Hdiwousp but I'm sure there are better options.

My use case is a multi-room WiiM Pro setup where I play vinyl into one WiiM Pro (via preamp with phone stage) and transmit it into a different WiiM Pro in another room.

I have this working now like this:

Turntable -> preamp (tape out) -> Hdiwousp ADC (optical out) -> WiiM Pro 1

steam via multi-room capability to:

WiiM Pro 2 -> DAC -> Amplifier -> Speakers

All that being said, I don't know how much a good ADC even matters because I believe the WiiMs downsample to 16 bit /44.1 kHz when transmitting in multi-room.

Thank you!

Most readily available ADCs are 16/44.1 or 16/48.
If you find something at 24/96 or higher I’d be interested to know

Pretty much confirms what we already knew: The WiiM Pro is a near-perfect performer in the digital domain, so long as the EQ is kept disabled, and a mediocre performer in the analog domain (which definitely isn't what I bought it for).

WiiM, I hope you will team with a great DAC company, like Topping, for your next project. You have nailed the digital part.
I read it as you can use EQ just not with fixed volume.

the case of eq mode, its brutal drc, is not so simple and misunderstood...
try to understand exact situation...
i know my english is so bad..
but try
;-)
onlyoneme probably can help to explain to us
me... i stop

Fair enough but for me it’s rather binary - if you fix the volume and have EQ off, all’s good. If you don’t , then it’s broken to some degree or another. But I can live with that degree of brokenness to get a sound that pleases me in the surroundings, kit and ears that I have ;)

really forget the eq mode .. unless just to lower frequency levels ... ... especially not increase ..
it was not well understood
wiim not wanting to work on an intelligent eq mode and confronted with inmencable digital saturation problems...
they just use this drc implemented by texas ... not made for that at all ... not being able to manage properly increases in levels of several db in eq mode ...
the situation is therefore quite unthinkable.. except in the case of level reductions...
detailing the different scenarios is too long..
you have to understand the logic

the essentiel is here...
Post in thread 'WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...view-measurements-streamer.42300/post-1499196

(I believe that even onelyoneme( ;-) ) had not realized the extent of the subject...
but as many had anyway dropped the use of eq mode)

good evening
;-)

Last edited:
I’m old school. Never touched balance, bass or treble when that was all we had. Never owned a graphic equaliser and never fiddled with any kind of EQ except I have set up DRC on my AVR but I think that is primarily a mechanism that alters volume settings per speaker with no other effect on sound?

Seems like a good review on the digital side but the internal analog-to-digital converter (ADC) is pretty poor and the DAC could be better.

Anyone know of a good consumer grade ADC that isn't super expensive? I have a cheap $17 USD ADC from Hdiwousp but I'm sure there are better options.

My use case is a multi-room WiiM Pro setup where I play vinyl into one WiiM Pro (via preamp with phone stage) and transmit it into a different WiiM Pro in another room.

I have this working now like this:

Turntable -> preamp (tape out) -> Hdiwousp ADC (optical out) -> WiiM Pro 1

steam via multi-room capability to:

WiiM Pro 2 -> DAC -> Amplifier -> Speakers

All that being said, I don't know how much a good ADC even matters because I believe the WiiMs downsample to 16 bit /44.1 kHz when transmitting in multi-room.

Thank you!
Check Schiit.com. Superb DAC for $129.

I’m old school. Never touched balance, bass or treble when that was all we had. Never owned a graphic equaliser and never fiddled with any kind of EQ except I have set up DRC on my AVR but I think that is primarily a mechanism that alters volume settings per speaker with no other effect on sound?
I'm old school. No balance knob, no bass or treble. Just PEQ all the time for headphones or room correction ;)

Back