WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements

Good morning
I tried to read the discussion (helped by the translator).

What I don't understand some things:

Is it worth upgrading my Wiim Pro to this new Wiim Pro Plus? if always used via digital optical output and the Dac in my Nad C399, is there an audio improvement compared to the previous model?

The "Hardware" problems of the Pro Plus I read have been resolved but how can I understand if I am ordering the First or Second Pro Plu?

Last question, do you think the Pro Plus Dac is better than the one inside the Nad C399? (in case I could connect it with analog RCA output).

Sorry if there are any translation errors.

Thank you in advance.

Is it worth upgrading my Wiim Pro to this new Wiim Pro Plus? if always used via digital optical output
No.

how can I understand if I am ordering the First or Second Pro Plus
You can't know, but the second one isn't even being made yet, and some would say that you wouldn't be able to hear the difference anyway.
Note that this only affects analog out, which you don't use atm.

do you think the Pro Plus Dac is better than the one inside the Nad C399?
Personal opinions don't count for much, but the Nad C399 isn't a particularly cheap bit of kit and I'd be fairly confident in expecting its dac implementation to be pretty good.

The only difference if you’re using the digital out to your own DAC is that the Pro Plus has a better analogue input stage as well - however, if you don’t have a turntable or similar plugged in to your WiiM, that won’t matter to you.

Forget about any hardware revision the second batch of Pro Plus might have as it will make no difference to the audibility of the Pro Plus as has been confirmed by the two members who undertook extensive measurements - mere mortals like the vast majority of people here should just forget they ever read that. It is not a big deal :)

At the end of the day, only you and your ears can decide if the Pro Plus DAC is better than your Nad’s DAC - it’s very subjective…

Hope this helps - keep enjoying the music :)

Good morning
I tried to read the discussion (helped by the translator).

What I don't understand some things:

Is it worth upgrading my Wiim Pro to this new Wiim Pro Plus? if always used via digital optical output and the Dac in my Nad C399, is there an audio improvement compared to the previous model?

The "Hardware" problems of the Pro Plus I read have been resolved but how can I understand if I am ordering the First or Second Pro Plu?

Last question, do you think the Pro Plus Dac is better than the one inside the Nad C399? (in case I could connect it with analog RCA output).

Sorry if there are any translation errors.

Thank you in advance.
Do yourself a favour and check if you can hear differences among these samples:

One of them is recorded over the Pro Plus analog output.

I have asked Roksan about the possibility of increasing (improving) the system SNR by using an external dac instead of the internal . They said system noise is additive and in case of internal dac the path is shorter . So internal dac —> amp noise + dac noise = total noise

External dac adds the preamp noise on the chain

Pre amp noise + amp noise + dac noise = total noise

So Dac noise contribution should be extremely low to increase overall snr.

So my best bet is to use coaxial for dac .

Again I will buy pro plus to replace mini. I am not sure how to check for this

Last edited:
@ Thanks a lot, I understand.

So I'm keeping my "Pro" also taken on offer for 170 euros including the remote control.

Yes, the 399 has a Bluos module but in Italy it costs around 650 euros (a bit too much) with 590 euros I'll take the Cocktail Audio X 14 or the new Audioquest 7000N, they are probably better than the Wiim and I also have the display.

I'm looking for a fairly cheap product to listen to free internet radio in my spare time and I think Wiim is just fine.

@Brantome: Grazie per la risposta e la spiegazione, ho capito perfettamente.

@Onlioneme:
I don't hear any difference with the computer speakers, tonight I'll try it on my home stereo.
Thank you in advance.

I'm pleased to inform you that we have successfully identified and addressed the low-frequency IMD issue you previously brought to our attention. Our team has optimized the design to ensure improved performance.

Sorry, I don't have engineering or technical background, what exactly is "low-frequency IMD issue"?

Performance in low frequencies a bit worse than expected, in terms of synthetic measurements. Something that shouldn't bother someone who trusts his ears.
May I ask what are "synthetic measurements"?

Wikipedia says "Synthetic instruments in test and measurement are conceptually related to the software synthesizer in audio or music." Is this what you are referring to?

May I ask what are "synthetic measurements"?

Wikipedia says "Synthetic instruments in test and measurement are conceptually related to the software synthesizer in audio or music." Is this what you are referring to?
A series of procedures with prepared test signals to measure some aspects of the behavior of the device under test (so-called DUT). The results are synthetic measures based on these measurements.

BTW, I've no idea if such a term and explanation are commonly used, it's just the term I use personally.

I am wondering as well - the difference in my setup is the WIIM Pro DAC is my only DAC. (Ethernet -> WiiM Pro -> Optical - Devialet Phantoms.
Thoughts with thanks
~P

I am wondering as well - the difference in my setup is the WIIM Pro DAC is my only DAC. (Ethernet -> WiiM Pro -> Optical - Devialet Phantoms.
Thoughts with thanks
~P
If you’re using an external DAC, I’d say there’s no difference between the Pro and the Pro Plus (or Mini for that matter).

Thoughts with thanks
~P
There's absolutely no point upgrading any DAC for Devialet Phantom: these are DSP-powered speakers that will redigitalize any analog signal. You should keep your path fully digital as it is.

Back