WiiM Pro objective measurements

I'm old school. No balance knob, no bass or treble. Just PEQ all the time for headphones or room correction ;)
Old school? When I got into home audio you couldn't find a receiver or integrated amp without bass, treble, loudness and tone controls. That's old school...LOL!

Last edited:
really forget the eq mode .. unless just to lower frequency levels ... ... especially not increase ..
it was not well understood
wiim not wanting to work on an intelligent eq mode and confronted with inmencable digital saturation problems...
they just use this drc implemented by texas ... not made for that at all ... not being able to manage properly increases in levels of several db in eq mode ...
the situation is therefore quite unthinkable.. except in the case of level reductions...
detailing the different scenarios is too long..
you have to understand the logic

the essentiel is here...
Post in thread 'WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...view-measurements-streamer.42300/post-1499196

(I believe that even onelyoneme( ;-) ) had not realized the extent of the subject...
but as many had anyway dropped the use of eq mode)

good evening
;-)

If I read that thread correctly you have to set the maximum eq value to about -1.2db that will prevent the distortion caused by clipping.
Wiim's eq algorithm should evaluate the eq settings and then lower the volume accordingly to prevent clipping.

if you increase somes frequencies in eq mode, you will have to lower the output level proportionally...and add the few percent less to move away from the drc threshold..
we would have almost been able to manually realize it... without this drc and its impact! to avoid digital saturation
this drc from texas was not designed to compensate for an idiotic eq mode....
the situation therefore remains destitute over the months...(after months of digital clippings)

Last edited:
Old school? When I got into home audio you couldn't find a receiver or integrated amp without bass, treble, loudness and tone controls. That's old school...LOL!
I know. I've meant ignoring their presence.

If I read that thread correctly you have to set the maximum eq value to about -1.2db that will prevent the distortion caused by clipping.
Wiim's eq algorithm should evaluate the eq settings and then lower the volume accordingly to prevent clipping.
Just be careful not to exceed -1.2 dBFS sound level and you are safe.

yes
but preferable I fear to start from 0db .. and lower the general volume of 5%

yes
but preferable I fear to start from 0db .. and lower the general volume of 5%
my amp has a led that indicates digital clipping and with the above setting it does not light up.
So I guess I am good unless the distortion is introduced before that.
I would prefer to keep the volume fixed.

you will never have digital clipping with the drc...your vusmeter does not show you anything...
it seems to me that your correction is not comparable with one starting from odb...
and the digital volume "from texas" is shown rather transparent...
nothing to do with the impact of drc

It’s not a vu meter. It’s a digital clipping indicator led from the amps dac.

that s the same thing in my explication
the drc is for never have digital clippings.
the irony... is that by performing your correction "in negative" starting from 0db... you could even do without the small volume reduction to avoid the drc...and drc!! but it is not disengageable ( for the moment?)....

Last edited:
that s the same thing in my explication
the drc is for never have digital clippings.
the irony... is that by performing your correction "in negative" starting from 0db... you could even do without the small volume reduction to avoid the drc...! but it is not disengageable ( for the moment?)....
Ok so you are saying they do a small volume correction by default but that is not enough for their presets which boost more.
And if you keep all values at 0 or below you are good. But the additional volume reduction they do is unnecessary in that case.
And I would be fine to adjust the above settings so that the loudest correction is 0db.

sorry, I'm afraid we don't quite understand...
just make your correction but on 0db without anticipating this -1.2db.. and just lower your overall level on wiim home by 5%

I stop it..
my written expression is too catastrophic and risks bringing more confusion than positive things...
although the thing is not so complicated

sorry
all to try to get around a poorly done eq mode and the clumsy attempt to get around the thing with this drc

Last edited:
Ok so you are saying they do a small volume correction by default but that is not enough for their presets which boost more.
And if you keep all values at 0 or below you are good. But the additional volume reduction they do is unnecessary in that case.
And I would be fine to adjust the above settings so that the loudest correction is 0db.
All you have to do is not to reach a DRC threshold level which is between -1.2 and -1.1 dBFS. You can achieve it by different ways - lowering digital volume and/or maintaining EQ gain on the safe level.

it seems to me that in an eq mode ...example """lowering 5 frequency concecutive""" like 1db is not comparable to staying at 0db and lowering the overall volume..

but must be able to observe with response curves...

Last edited:
I’m old school. Never touched balance, bass or treble when that was all we had. Never owned a graphic equaliser and never fiddled with any kind of EQ except I have set up DRC on my AVR but I think that is primarily a mechanism that alters volume settings per speaker with no other effect on sound?
I'm of the same old school :)

"volume settings per speaker" - aka balance? ;)

My 30 year old Arcam Alpha 6 (still going strong, and sounding pretty good) that I have in my office setup has balance and tone controls.
What a blessing, as the speakers are most defiinitely in what could charitably be called a compromised position.
Bass, Treble and Balance are all being used!
(No wiim in this setup - tablet -> pocket usb dac -> amp)

Last edited:
As long as I do not need these controls I do not use it. But if there is a (room)situation where it would be helpful I will surely use it. Surely not to change the recording! When the engineer set it up in 1972 with the gear of 1972 I leave it as it is. For me tone controls are a nice-to-have and another gimmick to play with. By the way: Till today I never owned an amp without tone-controls. And I owned a lot 😉

Measurements are just a indication of what is wrong or right with the sound. A measurement can be almost the same, while sound is different to the ears. I don't like the sound while playing with the WIIM app. It is too sibilant. This goes away using Chromecast. The reviewer says both measure almost the same yet it is a world of difference to me.

Back