Right channel drops frequently

geoffb

Right channel drops frequently (once per hour). Disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable at the rear of the device fixes the problem temporarily. Happens with WiFi input and optical input. I have not tested other inputs. I am outputting line out at medium volume and resolution is set to 16 bit and 44.1khz. So I'm not driving the device hard. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am outputting line out at medium volume and resolution is set to 16 bit and 44.1khz.
This got me wondering why you set the digital outputs to 44.1/16 when using the analog line out!!

First time I've seen anything like this reported here.

Just for troubleshooting I was going to suggest:
Swapping the cables over (left to right and vice versa) and seeing if it was still the right channel dropping.
Trying to use a digital output instead.
Does what it's plugged into have more than 1 analog in? Does it still happen if another inout is used?
i.e. is it definitely the wiim, and is it only analog out?

BTW swapping the cables over solved the problem. I have no idea why! Balance control on my preamp is now reversed but this is a small inconvenience.

To mention the obvious, there is no physical way that swapping the left and right analog RCA cable could permanently fix a dropout issue. What could have fixed it, indeed, is pulling and reinserting the plugs.

Best case:
One of the plugs has not been plugged in securely all the way. When swapping the cables you might have corrected this without taking note. If so, you could swapp them back any time and remove even the small inconvenience.

Worst case:
One of your cables (or the connection between plug and cable might be faulty. A loose contact may not work occasionally, depending on temperature, phase of the moon or (mist importantly) tension on the cable. When unplugging and replugging the power, you might just have changed the position of said cable ever so slightly to make it work. When reversing channels, the cable may have come to sit in a slightly different position that doesn't trigger the problem (for now). If you play some music and bend the cables for both channels right at each plug and somewhere in between you should be able to verify or falsify this theory.

In a similar case such a spray once helped me within seconds. Not directly on the connectors of course, better to take the deviation over some cotton or microfibre cloth. And use the smallest possible dose. IF the reasons for your problem are the connectors
I once have chosen the cheap solution, this is only to show that of course also a HighEnd solutions are available ;-)))

IMG_2959.jpeg

In a similar case such a spray once helped me within seconds. Not directly on the connectors of course, better to take the deviation over some cotton or microfibre cloth. And use the smallest possible dose. IF the reasons for your problem are the connectors
I once have chosen the cheap solution, this is only to show that of course also a HighEnd solutions are available ;-)))

View attachment 6557

I’m sure there’s a long thread on ASR comparing these, with graphs of course 🤣🤣🤣

Back