WiiM Pro Optical Input Audio Drop Outs

MrChips

I’m a recent new owner of a Wiim Pro. I’m experiencing audio drop outs when watching TV with the TV connected to the optical input of the Pro. The drop outs last a second or two and seem to occur more often when the Pro comes out of standby for the first few minutes but then do occur again randomly but less frequently thereafter. I’ve tried changing the optical cable, reseating the optical connections, reducing the bitrate, disabling auto sensing but nothing resolves it. Connecting the TV directly to the powered speaker with the same optical cable and there are no audio drop outs at all. When streaming over Wi-Fi on the Pro there are no audio drop outs so the optical out of the Pro isn’t the problem. The firmware is latest 4.8.511042. I’ve seen the Pro has had lots of optical issues resolved in previous firmware updates but wondering is this issue specific to my Pro or a general problem. Should I return my device? Does anyone else experience this? My TV is a Samsung nu8000. Thanks.

I just had the same sound dropping problem using the line in of the Wiim, so it does not seem to be an optical input specific issue.

Just after some sound cuts I switched the line out cable from the Wiim to my stereo directly, cutting out the Wiim from my signal path. This fixed the issue. So the combination of the LG TV and the Wiim seems to be the issue.

I submitted an issue to Wiim from within the app.

Last edited:
Seems my Pro box has a new firmware update: 4.8.512537. It does appear to have fixed the audio drop outs but i did hear some crackling noise for a brief period. Early days so I’ll keep the thread posted.

The dropout issue has been very inconsistent for me, sometimes not occurring. Curious to see if the new update fixes the issue.

Yea nobody hold their breath on the fix. The release notes aren’t live and the firmware update was installed today. So far no drop outs which are normally fairly consistent to reproduce when the box comes out of standby.

Sorry. My bad. Not fixed. Put the box in standby for a couple of minutes and the drop outs returned like before.
Same here, in fact the problem is worse now than it was back in January when I first received the Wiim Pro. It has had multiple firmware updates in that time, and for a few weeks until recently it seemed to have fixed the spdif distortion/dropouts problem, but I recent update sometime in the last 2+3 weeks has put it right back where it was 😖😖

Until/unless Wiim can implement conventional clocking of the unit off the incoming spdif signal then it's never going to work properly with real-world TVs that may inevitably have less than perfect spdif clocks.

Bit perfect in-out behaviour is all well and good for a suitable source, unless it means you can't even process a real-world incoming spdif stream properly. I don't have any equipment to measure the distortion on the Wiim but even just audibly I'd guess it must be about 5-10% most of the time, the spdif distortion particularly on voice sibilance is dreadful...

It's such a shame because many people like me will have bought and be using the Wiim half the time for music-only (audio streaming) and half the time for spdif input decoding (online video service streaming - Netflix, Prime etc), and right now it's pretty much unusable for the latter...

Same here, in fact the problem is worse now than it was back in January when I first received the Wiim Pro. It has had multiple firmware updates in that time, and for a few weeks until recently it seemed to have fixed the spdif distortion/dropouts problem, but I recent update sometime in the last 2+3 weeks has put it right back where it was 😖😖

Until/unless Wiim can implement conventional clocking of the unit off the incoming spdif signal then it's never going to work properly with real-world TVs that may inevitably have less than perfect spdif clocks.

Bit perfect in-out behaviour is all well and good for a suitable source, unless it means you can't even process a real-world incoming spdif stream properly. I don't have any equipment to measure the distortion on the Wiim but even just audibly I'd guess it must be about 5-10% most of the time, the spdif distortion particularly on voice sibilance is dreadful...

It's such a shame because many people like me will have bought and be using the Wiim half the time for music-only (audio streaming) and half the time for spdif input decoding (online video service streaming - Netflix, Prime etc), and right now it's pretty much unusable for the latter...
Yes I really like the Pro for my setup of a TV and powered Kanto speakers and sub. The auto sensing input feature and the short standby time allow me to switch automatically between casting music and TV without any use of the Kanto remote control which is good in a household where if I accidentally didn’t switch input back to the TV they’d be stuck not knowing why there is no TV sound. I could connect the TV to the Kanto speakers directly like they were before - issue free - but this then means switching inputs to the speakers manually which if I forget to do would be an issue in a house otherwise made up of technophobes.

Wiim support replied to an email I sent yesterday. They said there will be a software fix for the audio dropping issue. So I guess it’s a case of wait and see.

I’ve stopped using the optical input now on the Pro. My TV is connected directly to the speaker via optical - no drop outs now. Pro used only for casting and have to switch inputs on the speaker between TV and Pro optical inputs.

I had audio dropouts when using the optical input of the WiiM Pro Plus, connected to the optical output of a Panasonic plasma TV.

I noticed the dropouts when the audio source was a live yoga class on Zoom streamed from my laptop to an Apple TV 4K connected to the TV via HDMI. They seemed to happen most often when the presenter paused - as if the WiiM had a noise gate. I wonder if it might have something to do with the automatic input detection...

There were no dropouts when I connected the TV's optical output to a Marantz AV7005 preamp or when I connected the Apple TV 4k's HDMI output to the Marantz instead of to the TV. I tested each setup for 90 minutes (a full class). I've been using the latter setup for this class for over three and a half years without any problems.

This issue, in addition to the poorly-implemented 12v trigger - it lowers the voltage (turning off my amp) after 2.5 minutes of silence - and lack of response to my support ticket the past 3+ weeks, caused me to return my WiiM Pro Plus yesterday.

Later in the day, after I'd returned it, WiiM support posted on the forum that the trigger feature I requested (responding to the standby mode setting) will be added, with an estimated release date of February 10.

But it's very concerning that WiiM support hasn't responded to reports of the dropouts from the optical input.

I was impressed by the great specs of the Pro Plus posted at ASR, and by the initial responsiveness of WiiM support. Maybe I'll check in when the Ultra is released, but I may be done with this company.

Last edited:
I'm having audio drop outs via Toslink and Coax outputs on my Pro connected to SMSL C200. This is via Toslink in from a MiniDisc player, which is flawless straight into the SMSL.

Also happening via Ethernet and WiFi inputs from Plexamp via Chromecast, but only at 192/24 output (on either Toslink or coax outs - works fine if reduced to 96/24).

Tried all manner of cables and about ready to give it up as a bad job - seemed too cheap to be true.

I'm having audio drop outs via Toslink and Coax outputs on my Pro connected to SMSL C200. This is via Toslink in from a MiniDisc player, which is flawless straight into the SMSL.

Also happening via Ethernet and WiFi inputs from Plexamp via Chromecast, but only at 192/24 output (on either Toslink or coax outs - works fine if reduced to 96/24).

Tried all manner of cables and about ready to give it up as a bad job - seemed too cheap to be true.
Try raising a ticket to WiiM thru the settings/feedback section of the app to see if they can see any clues in your device logs.

Back