Sound differences

Maurizio

Major Contributor
I'm just curious to hear your opinions about this.
What difference do you think there is between playing the same album from vinyl versus playing it with a streamer? :unsure:

If I could sing:
Feeling, nothing more than feeling.....
It is all about mood and timing. Still told at the campfires from the oldest like me. Ever and ever. ;)
Streaming for me is convinient. But has a little lack of soul, to clean.

Disclaimer: My meaning. I accept of course every different.

I'm just curious to hear your opinions about this.
What difference do you think there is between playing the same album from vinyl versus playing it with a streamer? :unsure:
Entirely subjective. I could say vinyl sounds fuller, more mellifluous but can lack the detail of a streamer.

What about a high quality digital rip of an LP, even as high as 24/192 (unnecessary I know) like I can do with my Linn MDSM/4 - would you expect that to sound the same or different from the LP? TBH, at my age, I can't tell them apart...

Entirely subjective. I could say vinyl sounds fuller, more mellifluous but can lack the detail of a streamer.

What about a high quality digital rip of an LP, even as high as 24/192 (unnecessary I know) like I can do with my Linn MDSM/4 - would you expect that to sound the same or different from the LP? TBH, at my age, I can't tell them apart...
Agree.

I have recently added an ADC that is capable of 24/192 needledrop to my HiFi but I have been using it at only 24/96.
To my ears the resulting needledrop FLACs when no "correction" has been applied sound identical to the when I play the physical LP through the same HiFi kit. Obviously I tend to apply click correction but it doesn't alter the overall warmer sound of Vinyl rips compared to native digital files.

Good, but scratches and wow & flutter apart. Sound signature? Best, worse, the same?
It seems to me that, for example, the music reproduced by today.streamers is very close to the sound of vinyl.
Much more than CDs did.
Of course with turntables and vinil you have a manual and loving relationship that you don't have with a digital device. ;)

Good, but scratches and wow & flutter apart. Sound signature? Best, worse, the same?
It seems to me that, for example, the music reproduced by today.streamers is very close to the sound of vinyl.
Much more than CDs did.
Of course with turntables and vinil you have a manual and loving relationship that you don't have with a digital device. ;)
Vinyl is warmer.
Digital sources are more analytical but if you can really hear differences between HiRes streams and CD from the same master then I must congratulate you on having exceptional ears!

Vinyl is warmer.
Digital sources are more analytical but if you can really hear differences between HiRes streams and CD from the same master then I must congratulate you on having exceptional ears!
For me this "warmer" is absolutely right. But I never ever read a valid definition what "warm" in this case means. Feeling, nothing more than feeling 😉

Vinyl is warmer.
@d6jg
No, I certainly don't have Paganini's ear.
I was referring to the fact that old CDs, which I've never loved, had an extremely aseptic and clinical sound. It completely lacked heat. This aspect seems to me improved with what "comes out" from the streamers. Less cold sound.
Personal opinion. ;)

this is just my questionable opinion...
Any era has it's own support, this is why if i'm listening vinyl they have to be from years when they were the "elected" medium.
Any streaming edition of old songs, is quite certain that has been "remastered" and such remasters sometimes do damages...
In the same time, i don't ear any reason to buy new vinyl releases or even worst, remastered reprints.

Agreed!
Every music is related to they time it was created. I am to lazy for seeking it, but quite sure I wrote similar. Vinyl will always be my go-to medium. But surely no "box sets", "remastered director's cut and so on nonsense" when the original was never meant to be an lp. And even the ping pong artificial stereo from the earliest Beatles lp makes me sick, they all are recorded in mono. Which sounds time specific, but great in my ears. So only because it is vinyl will not be a reason to buy. Otherwise...to bring the cost of streaming in relation to my costs for old vinyl should be one more reason to bring me to a psychiatrist 😉

this is just my questionable opinion...
Any era has it's own support, this is why if i'm listening vinyl they have to be from years when they were the "elected" medium.
Any streaming edition of old songs, is quite certain that has been "remastered" and such remasters sometimes do damages...
In the same time, i don't ear any reason to buy new vinyl releases or even worst, remastered reprints.
I can agree, even if from time to time I still buy some vinil. Not new vinils or remastered version. I buy some original vinyl of 60s 70s for my collection if they are almost in near mint condition. Problem is that they cost a bunch of money.

Back