Squeezelite and LMS

Brantome

In advance of the release of Squeezelite compatibility for the Pro and Pro Plus, I thought it might be a good idea to have a separate subforum - might even move a few threads/ comments across here.

Please use this subforum for any Squeezelite/ LMS matters - well, within reason ;)

If you have them... could you please post links about LMS, Squeezelite, etc... how the various modules relate to each other and what package installation is typically used. Thanks!

If you have them... could you please post links about LMS, Squeezelite, etc... how the various modules relate to each other and what package installation is typically used. Thanks!
See this wiki https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Logitech_Media_Server

For setting up on a Raspberry Pi, use PiCorePlayer https://www.picoreplayer.org/ - I followed these instructions https://docs.picoreplayer.org/getting-started/

I also set up LMS on my PC and it was no more difficult than downloading and installing any other package. It may take a little time and reading to get your head round how to fully set it up, but as usual, Google is your friend,..

Once you have the basic system set up, you should also install the following plugins from LMS’ plugin server dropdown list (as advised by @d6jg):

Material
Music & Artist Info
BBC Sounds
Radio Paradise
Radio Now Playing
What Was That Tune
Playlist Manager

Last edited:
As above plus your choice of either Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, Spotify or YouTube plugins.

A bit of history - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Media_Server

LMS has been around for many years (early 2000) having previously been called SlimServer, SqueezeCenter and Squeezebox Server before Logitech acquired the business (2006) and renamed the server component to be Logitech Media Server which has been unofficially shortened to LMS.
Logitech and their predecessor manufactured proprietory hi quality media streamers / players for use with the system. The streamers were mainly aimed at the full HiFi market.
In 2012 Logitech ceased manufacture of the players and passed the code for LMS to the community as an open source project but maintained some financial support which pays for MySqueezebox.com (effectively an LMS in the cloud with lesser functionality for people who didn't want to run a local server) and the community forum at https://forums.slimdevices.com. This financial support is maintained to this day.
LMS is still actively maintained and developed with new plugins frequently appearing.
There are now no ready made players available off the shelf apart from the WiiM Pro/Pro+ and 2 similar but more focused products DAC32/DIGI32 only available from https://vortexbox.co.uk/shop?store-page=DAC32-WiFi-Multi-Player-p429428713
Many people have self built players (and servers) utilising Raspoberry Pi's and associated DAC hardware.
LMS takes a bit of configuring but once working correctly with a suitable medley of plugins it is a very rewarding experience with very high quality audio available.
It was the first commercially available synchronised multi room system that didn't rely on multiple sets of speaker cables.

if a Raspberry Pi is not available, they are still in relatively short supply, you can run a similarly tailored implementation of LMS on x86 hardware, Daphile

if a Raspberry Pi is not available, they are still in relatively short supply, you can run a similarly tailored implementation of LMS on x86 hardware, Daphile

Indeed you can. Personally I wouldn't choose to run Daphile as unless you opt for the beta install you have no SSH access. LMS can be installed on most flavours of Linux or indeed on Windows or Mac.

Question concerning Spotify connect.

I prefer using the Spotify connect (Spotty) plugin in LMS because it utilizes the sound normalization and preamp of LMS and I wish to continue doing so on the Squeezelite player now in Wiim. Will this cause any problems with the built in Wiim Spotify connect feature?

It seems to work but I did have trouble connecting to it at first because it kept connecting to the Wiim instance of connect instead of the squeezelite instance. I had to forget the Wiim instance in the Spotify app to get it to work. I'm wondering if this will be an ongoing issue connecting to the correct Spotify connect.

This brings up another question, there doesn't seem to be a way to have a separate name for the Squeezelite player on the Wiim. It appears to always mirror the Wiim device name. I thought giving Squeezelite player a different name would help but it always reverts back to the Wiim name.

Last edited:

I prefer using the Spotify connect (Spotty) plugin in LMS because it utilizes the sound normalization and preamp of LMS and I wish to continue doing so on the Squeezelite player now in Wiim. Will this cause any problems with the built in Wiim Spotify connect feature?

It seems to work but I did have trouble connecting to it at first because it kept connecting to the Wiim instance if connect instead of the squeezelite instance. I had to forget the Wiim insurance in the Spotify app to get it to work. I'm wondering if this will be an ongoing issue connecting to the correct Spotify connect.

This brings up another question, there doesn't seem to be a way to have a separate name for the Squeezelite player on the Wiim. It appears to always mirror the Wiim device name. I thought giving Squeezelite player a different name would help but it always refers back to the Wiim name.
No answer here but good catch.

It seems to work but I did have trouble connecting to it at first because it kept connecting to the Wiim instance of connect instead of the squeezelite instance. I had to forget the Wiim instance in the Spotify app to get it to work. I'm wondering if this will be an ongoing issue connecting to the correct Spotify connect.

This brings up another question, there doesn't seem to be a way to have a separate name for the Squeezelite player on the Wiim. It appears to always mirror the Wiim device name. I thought giving Squeezelite player a different name would help but it always reverts back to the Wiim name.
Maybe drop WiiM a ticket asking them to perhaps add a qualifier to the name it presents to LMS. I thought from something they said earlier that there’d be some evidence in the WiiM Home app to indicate support for Squeezelite - maybe they could add a settings page to allow you to define the name LMS sees.

Maybe drop WiiM a ticket asking them to perhaps add a qualifier to the name it presents to LMS. I thought from something they said earlier that there’d be some evidence in the WiiM Home app to indicate support for Squeezelite - maybe they could add a settings page to allow you to define the name LMS sees.
Squeezelite accepts a -n switch which willgive it a name and I did suggest that they should enable some config to enable setting the server to connect to -s when discovery isn't going to work

squeezelite -n "My WiiM Player" -s 192.168.1.X -r 192000

Could easily add a one page config

I will submit a ticket for the name issue. That should solve the concern with which Spotify connect instance is being used. I will add a note about the server -s config param a well.

Please use this subforum for any Squeezelite/ LMS matters - well, within reason ;)
I got this firmware update today on the Pro Plus here in NY.

Screenshot_2023-09-07-22-25-10-313.jpeg

One minor niggle when viewing the playing now from the WiiM Home app, there is no track elapsed time with Radio Paradise:

Screenshot_2023-09-07-23-14-33-824.jpeg

A rather larger issue is the LMS Qobuz app produces only white noise playing to the WiiM Squeezelite renderer.

No such LMS Qobuz issue here.
Interesting in that Radio Paradise from LMS plays fine on the Pro Plus, but Qobuz does not on my end.
Qobuz from that same LMS instance plays no problem to Raspberry Pi endpoints running Moode or Volumio.

Not saying this will fix but check the player settings in LMS. Is it set to direct streaming or Proxied?

Also what bitrate do you have set in LMS for Qobuz and what bitrate is the stuff you are playing? In other words is LMS sending more than the WiiM can cope with? The WiiM instance of Squeezelite should be picking up its max sample rate from whatever you have set for the device in WHA but perhaps LMS isn’t seeing that.

I have no issue but I’m using a Pro.
Player is set to direct streaming @ 100% volume
Bitrate in WHA is 96000
Qobuz in LMS is set to 24 >96

Back