Stereoreview X review compared with a Bluesound

D1N0

Major Contributor

This confirms to me what I have been saying about listening with the WIIM app. It is just too hot. Chromecast sounds much better.

Last edited:
From what I gathered from that video, the review was more about the sound of the built-in DAC on the two streamers. You could just plug an external DAC between the streamer and the Amp to get a different sound profile. The difference in price could pay for a DAC with the sound you prefer.

The WIIM pro plus has a much better DAC than the PCM5242 that is in the Node 2i. The Pro has a PCM5121 that is clearly inferior but should be closer to the Bluesound Node 2i than to the AK4493s in the Pro plus. DAC wise the pro plus should run circles around the Node 2i.

The WIIM pro plus has a much better DAC than the PCM5242 that is in the Node 2i. The Pro has a PCM5121 that is clearly inferior but should be closer to the Bluesound Node 2i than to the AK4493s in the Pro plus. DAC wise the pro plus should run circles around the Node 2i.
That could be true. There is more to DAC chip implementation than just the chip itself.

BTW, I'm not knocking your video. I think the style was warm and welcoming.

BTW, I'm not knocking your video. I think the style was warm and welcoming.
I'm not the guy in the video, That's Kelvin. He drew me into vintage Audio in the first place. He is no technical expert but I trust his ear. He has no sponsors or anything, he just reviews vintage stuff he collected over the years.

It's some months that a Nad C3050LE arrived in my home.
It has a pcm5242 and digitizes everything came to the (few) analog inputs.
I was worried about such oldies chips but Dirac (and depth dimension) was the absolute reason to get it.
I already tested it on a showroom and it was stunning, so I was certain that it could does even better at home.
I'm still using the wiim mini, alongside with Bluos streamer integrated on Nad.
Despite not so new dac chips, the overall results are exceptional. Much more better than previous pre+Amp couple and SMSL dac (with better ESS 9038 chip). Dirac, together with Nad amp and a b&w sub, gives a very satisfying reproduction. You could belive or not, I have a past experience on recording studios and I know a little what I'm saying. Mainly for WAF reason, didn't ever put big efforts on acoustic treatment in my own home listening...
This long preamble, just to say that results depends from whole implementation of the pack and the room acoustic/correction.
Said this, i tested both WiiM and Bluos as streaming platform, mainly with tidal connect and have to say that WiiM is much more versatile, usable and reliable. Not to say about tech support, where WiiM is much more faster and responsive. I still have some (annoying) FW quirks on Bluos/Nad side, they are aware of but not yet solved...
On listening side, despite a theoretical very little advantage on internal connection vs toslink, I can't ear differences switching back and forth from Bluos and WiiM, using both apps, with or without tidal connect. Definitely I'm skeptical about differences when using same dac+Amp on digital sources. Likely it's matter of bias...

Last edited:
It's harder to recognize the differences between streamers with acoustical music than with music full of artificial sound effects?

Phew ... think about that claim for a second time ...

It's some months that a Nad C3050LE arrived in my home.
It has a pcm5242 and digitizes everything came to the (few) analog inputs.
I was worried about such oldies chips but Dirac (and depth dimension) was the absolute reason to get it.
I already tested it on a showroom and it was stunning, so I was certain that it could does even better at home.
I'm still using the wiim mini, alongside with Bluos streamer integrated on Nad.
Despite not so new dac chips, the overall results are exceptional. Much more better than previous pre+Amp couple and SMSL dac (with better ESS 9038 chip). Dirac, together with Nad amp and a b&w sub, gives a very satisfying reproduction. You could belive or not, I have a past experience on recording studios and I know a little what I'm saying. Mainly for WAF reason, didn't ever put big efforts on acoustic treatment in my own home listening...
This long preamble, just to say that results depends from whole implementation of the pack and the room acoustic/correction.
Said this, i tested both WiiM and Bluos as streaming platform, mainly with tidal connect and have to say that WiiM is much more versatile, usable and reliable. Not to say about tech support, where WiiM is much more faster and responsive. I still have some (annoying) FW quirks on Bluos/Nad side, they are aware of but not yet solved...
On listening side, despite a theoretical very little advantage on internal connection vs toslink, I can't ear differences switching back and forth from Bluos and WiiM, using both apps, with or without tidal connect. Definitely I'm skeptical about differences when using same dac+Amp on digital sources. Likely it's matter of bias...
I have to agree. I also have a Node a numerous WIIM/Linkplay(Arylic) based streamers and with spdif out on the same Dac can tell no difference that could no be put down to my mood at the time. The only reason the node is still in the main system is the usb out. Usb to a Topping HS02 and the to a Singxer F1 DD then coax to the same dac I find the sound preferable to the wiim spdif connection. I do have to have a wiim pro connected to the Node for quick switch to multi room to connect to the rest of the house. Maybe when the Ultra arrives this situation may change but that will depend on the price I suppose. I doubt I would have got the Node if wiim had existed at the time but it's here now.....

Back