Streaming over DLNA

Thanks for explaining. I did not know of any of this, but I understand everything you explained. For now I want to see if the new firmware solves the LMS skipping issue. If not I may look into your setup.
Thanks again!
I haven't got it yet but I'm confident the squeezelite firmware will fix your skipping.

I actually don't need all the tags and information , but Tnanks for the elaborate info.
What would be then the simplest and best combo to download to phone and/or computer in your experience?
Thanks.

If you've only got the standard tags then the free version of MinimServer will be fine. After installation you'll just need to point it to the location of your music files.

I actually don't need all the tags and information , but Tnanks for the elaborate info.
What would be then the simplest and best combo to download to phone and/or computer in your experience?
Thanks.
If you don't care about any tagging and simply want to browse your music like windows explorer and play folders (albums) then you could just use bubbleupnp on android. You'd create an 'SMB Share' entry in the app pointing to your top level music folder.
However, I'd still install minimserver (free) on the pc and use either wiim app (free) or bubble (just a few dollars for a licence, and my preference).

As for ios - don't use it, can't advise!

If you don't care about any tagging and simply want to browse your music like windows explorer and play folders (albums) then you could just use bubbleupnp on android. You'd create an 'SMB Share' entry in the app pointing to your top level music folder.
However, I'd still install minimserver (free) on the pc and use either wiim app (free) or bubble (just a few dollars for a licence, and my preference).

As for ios - don't use it, can't advise!
Solid advice. I'll try both platforms. Maybe wiim will release an all in one solution in the future to boot. 😊

I haven't tried it myself (but will in the morning), but I assume the stream will have to pass through the phone if you go this route, which isn't ideal.

So streaming via phone will not bypass phone's dac but via laptop it will?
Or is Simbun referring just to the inconvenience/lag of phone?
The latter.
If you use bubble to play pc files to a wiim via an smb share then the file *transfer* will go via the phone.
You still be sending the file to the wiim to then use the wiim dac or external dac from there.

The latter.
If you use bubble to play pc files to a wiim via an smb share then the file *transfer* will go via the phone.
You still be sending the file to the wiim to then use the wiim dac or external dac from there.
Phew .. Great. 😄
Figured it wouldn't be different to PC in theory . Just making sure.

For example, I just started an album from smb share from bubble, and when I stopped bubble the music stopped v. soon after.
Play same album from minimserver via bubble and music still plays even after rebooting phone.

Edit: @Noamtasini one caveat to that - the music will probably stop at the end of the current track, as I think bubble still neds to be running to manage the queue / keep music playing.
But the phone sort of becomes just a remote rather than a transfer.

Last edited:
For example, I just started an album from smb share from bubble, and when I stopped bubble the music stopped v. soon after.
Play same album from minimserver via bubble and music still plays even after rebooting phone.
Interesting. Useful when battery is low. Or just use an older phone asa slave point of contact. Freeing up the main phone to do well... Phone things.

Interesting. Useful when battery is low. Or just use an older phone asa slave point of contact. Freeing up the main phone to do well... Phone things.
Yes, which is why maybe minimserver + wiim app would be 'better' in this regard as I believe the album would be queued up on the wiim itself, so phone not needed at all once started.

Yes, which is why maybe minimserver + wiim app would be 'better' in this regard as I beleive the album would be queued up on the wiim itself, so phone not needed at all once started.
Can't seem to find minimserver in the Play store. Is it only embeded in PC?

BTW... Can I use VLC or any other player in conjunction with BubbleUpPnp on phone/laptop?
I need the expanded EQ in VLC.

I just installed VLC and couldn't find any EQ settings apart from ReplayGain.

It looks like you can use VLC to cast direct to the WiiM, although for some reason whilst it could browse my indexes it wasn't seeing any music files inside.
If you can cast direct, why would you want to use it in conjunction with BubbleUPnP?

EDIT: Found the EQ. You have to put the audio player in full screen mode (drag mini player up) to access the menu.
Personally I would set the EQ in the WiiM app - if it's comparable to VLC - as I don't like the stream having to go via the phone.

Last edited:
Back