Streaming over DLNA

VLC and Jetaudio for instance, have reverb functions. Important for "dry" live soundboard recordings.
But you're right...I'm assuming playing them via the onboard PC/Phone players they'd be using the PC's DAC, and not streamed to Wiim and then to a possibly better external DAC... 🤔

Unless you're actually trying to capture the output of VLC (rather than have VLC cast to the WiiM itself), all EQ will be within the digital domain.

So, I would be using the PC's DAC, as I'm playing and EQing it before streaming it to the Wiim. Right?

I thought you were talking about VLC on Android.
Is your PC connected directly to the WiiMs analog input? If it's not, and you're casting to the WiiM then your PCs DAC won't be involved.

I was talking hypothetically about both. Phone or PC using VLC. If I'm casting a file played on either, wouldn't said file be casted after the PC's /Phone's DAC had done it's conversion?

I've just tried VLC on Android and when casting it doesn't apply EQ, and it doesn't look like the desktop VLC can cast at all yet.

Interesting. So by playing files on a computer/Phone and casting to the Wiim, I could only use the wiim's home app's EQ, or an external physical EQ. Guess I could always connect the source directly via USB to external dac if need be.
Thanks đź‘Ť

I was talking hypothetically about both. Phone or PC using VLC. If I'm casting a file played on either, wouldn't said file be casted after the PC's /Phone's DAC had done it's conversion?
Casting is a strange term. It doesn't mean that (in this case) VLC is involved as a player in any way. It means that VLC is sending control signals to the WiiM. It is the WiiM that is connecting to wherever, getting and playing your music. In UPnP parlance VLC is a Control Point, the WiiM is a Renderer.

AirPlay is a different kettle of fish. Here your device (iPhone, iPad, Mac etc) is actively involved. The device is doing the getting and then passing the stream on to the player/speaker. It adds an extra hop over the nextwork and since both in and out are (usually) over WiFi it is easily disturbed by WiFi coverage issues.

But if the VLC is playing and EQuing ; isn't it using the PC's DAC prior to sending file to the Wiim being the renderer?
If it's only acting as a Upnp, how can I make adjustments in real time to the file (EQ etc.) on the PC? It's now in the wiim's realm.

I'm sure someone mentioned an app that did the software EQ and then passed the stream onto the WiiM but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.
I tried Neutron but it didn't seem to make any difference.

But if the VLC is playing and EQuing ; isn't it using the PC's DAC prior to sending file to the Wiim being the renderer?
If it's only acting as a Upnp, how can I make adjustments in real time to the file (EQ etc.) on the PC? It's now in the wiim's realm.
VLC will be performing a software EQ, there's no conversion to analogue required.

VLC will be performing a software EQ, there's no conversion to analogue required.
Are you convinced that whatever EQ is applied inside VLC is being sent to the WiiM?
I can see how in theory it could work but does it? It would be VLC saying to the WiiM "get file x from server y, play it and tweak these parameters" which I suppose is exactly what the WiiM App does.

Are you convinced that whatever EQ is applied inside VLC is being sent to the WiiM?
I can see how in theory it could work but does it? It would be VLC saying to the WiiM "get file x from server y, play it and tweak these parameters" which I suppose is exactly what the WiiM App does.
This doesn't work in VLC.

An app doing this would have to be running a http server and serve the modified stream to the WiiM, so it would be both a server (although it could pull from another server itself) and controller.
I certainly wouldn't want my phone doing it though.

This doesn't work in VLC.

An app doing this would have to be running a http server and serve the modified stream to the WiiM, so it would be both a server (although it could pull from another server itself) and controller.
I certainly wouldn't want my phone doing it though.
I thought that was what you were saying but just wanted to be clear for the OP.

We agree that in the case outlined VLC is acting only as a UPnP controller.
Any tweaking in VLC's inbuilt EQ is not passed on to the WiiM unless there is a physical output - cable - from the VLC PC/device to the WiiM's line in/optical in.

It seems that Neutron does do it. Maybe I gave up too quickly.

"It is the only application capable of sending audio data to the network renderers (UPnP/DLNA, Chromecast) with all DSP effects applied, including the gapless playback. "

Sounds good regarding Neutron.
I'm still confused regarding a file being played on my PC and not going through the unit's own DAC. Is it because I'm not using the PC's headphones jack (analog output)?
File played is still digital till outputted anywhere?
And if Wiim can't receive the EQued file from VLC, will an external DAC connected via usb to PC do it? I'm guessing yes.

I'm still confused regarding a file being played on my PC and not going through the unit's own DAC. Is it because I'm not using the PC's headphones jack (analog output)?
The DAC has to be physically connected - usually indirectly via the amplification stage - to the speakers, so if you have speakers or headphones attached to your PC then the DAC in the PC will be used.
However, if you're using the WiiM/VLC app on your phone to play music to your WiiM Pro Plus (which has a DAC), then it will be the Pro Plus that performs the conversion, and everything before that will be in the digital domain.

And if Wiim can't receive the EQued file from VLC, will an external DAC connected via usb to PC do it? I'm guessing yes.
You could even just connect your PC (analog out) to an amplifier and use the internal DAC, although it likely won't sound as good as an external DAC.

AirPlay is a different kettle of fish. Here your device (iPhone, iPad, Mac etc) is actively involved. The device is doing the getting and then passing the stream on to the player/speaker. It adds an extra hop over the network and since both in and out are (usually) over WiFi it is easily disturbed by WiFi coverage issues.

Also whacks the battery of said device too... suboptimal at best.

Back