Tidal on laptop stopped seeing WiiMs

Witterings

Major Contributor
I've been trialing Tidal recently and initially streaming from my laptop I could see all my WiiM devices in Tidal connect and now a few days later it won't see any of them but they're all there using Tidal on a mini iPad.

I've gone through network settings / media streaming and turned off my antivirus and firewall, uninstalled / reinstalled Tidal and rebooted one of my WiiM devices and it makes no difference .... anyone any other ideas?

This could be a deciding factor for me whether I switch streaming providers or not.

Did anything change on your laptop between the time you could see Tidal Connect endpoints and when you could no longer? That's what I'd focus on first, since it's almost certainly your laptop that got broken in some way.

Make sure your WiiMs have static IP addresses and put everything on Ethernet if you can. That's what I'd try first.

I occasionally have a similar issue where my (android) tablet can't see some/all of my wiims as tidal connect endpoints, but can see them as chromecast endpoints instead, yet my other (also android) tablet can see them all as tidal connect.
If I start playing, via tidal connect, on that 2nd tablet then sometimes the first tablet then "sees" that and can take over control.
More often though, I simply restart the 1st tablet and it all goes back to normal.
Very occasionally I find a wiim reboot or modem reboot is required.
One time I couldn't be bothered and just left it (the 1st tablet), and when I checked a couple of hours later it was all back to normal.
Gremlins....

I would check the update history on the laptop. If Tidal stopped working after a Windows or Tidal update, the update might have caused something to break.

I occasionally have a similar issue where my (android) tablet can't see some/all of my wiims as tidal connect endpoints, but can see them as chromecast endpoints instead, yet my other (also android) tablet can see them all as tidal connect.
If I start playing, via tidal connect, on that 2nd tablet then sometimes the first tablet then "sees" that and can take over control.
More often though, I simply restart the 1st tablet and it all goes back to normal.
Very occasionally I find a wiim reboot or modem reboot is required.
One time I couldn't be bothered and just left it (the 1st tablet), and when I checked a couple of hours later it was all back to normal.
Gremlins....
I get exactly the same problems with Tidal Connect on Android, I've given up using it and use Tidal on the Wiim Home app instead.

Usually when it disappears in the win app, it appears again when I start the android app.

Cheers for everyone's responses .... things I've done since it's stopped working ... I tried installing Proton VPN's Free version ..... it'd wouldn't let me connect to P2P networks without subscribing so uninstalled it and after a reboot Chrome kept defaulting to a Ptoton page saying can't connect to VPN sites when trying to look at other things.
I cleared the cache / cookies etc. and it stopped doing it.
I then resubscribed to Nord VPN which was already installed on the laptop, I've checked it's not running

Spotify on the same laptop though can see the WiiM's ... only thing I think though, it used to give the option of Spotify connect to the WiiM's OR Chromecast to them and this option isn't available.

Can't think of anything else that may have affected it.

Seems like we have the same problem, as Spotify works with mine as well. I wonder if this may be why Wiim have kept Tidal as part of their app whereas when using Spotify from the Wiim app it is redirected to the Spotify app?

Seems like we have the same problem, as Spotify works with mine as well. I wonder if this may be why Wiim have kept Tidal as part of their app whereas when using Spotify from the Wiim app it is redirected to the Spotify app?
The reason they do that with Spotify is probably because there isn’t a Spotify third party API they can use in the WiiM app, and because Spotify Connect has been baked in to the Spotify app for a much longer time than Tidal Connect and arguably is more stable.

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else is having the same issues with what I seem to have found out and may be useful to others.

I have different WiFi areas in the house, the main one let's call it Lounge and call the other Landing .... It seems Tidal will only see the devices if you're attached to the wifi zone the computer 1st connects to on boot up and any changes thereafter it won't even if you try going back to the original zone.
An example, the laptop's on and connected to Lounge and everything's working, if I then switch to landing it won't see the devices any more, even if you try going back to the 1st zone and closing / reopening Tidal .... I also tried switching wifi on the laptop off for 5 mins and then switching it back on (without re-bootng the laptop) and it still won't see them.

If I then connect to landing and it's not working, if I re-boot it and it automatically connects to landing everything will work, but again not if I then try and switch it to lounge.

I haven't had time to fully test the last part but I think irrespective of whether Tidals seeing the devices or not, if I'm attached to landing and it's all working, switch the computer back on and as I've moved it automatically connects to lounge i don't think it'll work, I think the computer has to attach to the wifi zone it was on when it was switched off.

Hopefully that's useful to someone else, I don't know if anybody from WiiM is following this but if so you'll maybe have the contacts at Tidal to pass it onto as you so often say people have trouble with Tidal connect ... connecting.

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else is having the same issues with what I seem to have found out and may be useful to others.

I have different WiFi areas in the house, the main one let's call it Lounge and call the other Landing .... It seems Tidal will only see the devices if you're attached to the wifi zone the computer 1st connects to on boot up and any changes thereafter it won't even if you try going back to the original zone.
An example, the laptop's on and connected to Lounge and everything's working, if I then switch to landing it won't see the devices any more, even if you try going back to the 1st zone and closing / reopening Tidal .... I also tried switching wifi on the laptop off for 5 mins and then switching it back on (without re-bootng the laptop) and it still won't see them.

If I then connect to landing and it's not working, if I re-boot it and it automatically connects to landing everything will work, but again not if I then try and switch it to lounge.

I haven't had time to fully test the last part but I think irrespective of whether Tidals seeing the devices or not, if I'm attached to landing and it's all working, switch the computer back on and as I've moved it automatically connects to lounge i don't think it'll work, I think the computer has to attach to the wifi zone it was on when it was switched off.

Hopefully that's useful to someone else, I don't know if anybody from WiiM is following this but if so you'll maybe have the contacts at Tidal to pass it onto as you so often say people have trouble with Tidal connect ... connecting.
Thanks for this, it makes sense in my case as well as I have 2 WiFi zones, albeit on the same network, I get the same sort of problem with my WiFi networked printer at times. It would also explain why using Tidal from the Wiim home app it works fine. Spotify connect has never had such a problem so I would assume the problem is with the Tidal app.

Thanks for this, it makes sense in my case as well as I have 2 WiFi zones, albeit on the same network, I get the same sort of problem with my WiFi networked printer at times. It would also explain why using Tidal from the Wiim home app it works fine. Spotify connect has never had such a problem so I would assume the problem is with the Tidal app.

I don't think it's just with Tidal either, it was a reason I decided not to go with Qobuz a while back as it woudn't always see the Chomecast devices, I'll test that over the next few days as well and see if it's the same but as you say it doesn't seem to happen with Spotify.

I don't get it on my tablet / phone it's just with my laptop although both of those tend to stay connected to the same WiFi point.

Even if it didn't do it automatically, a button so you could do a quick network refresh would help, at least you wouldn't have to rebot every time you go from one zone to another.

I had the problem with 2 different android phones running Android 9 & 13, and an Amazon Fire. At first I wondered if it was Tidal thinking that more than one device was playing at same time, but it only happened with Tidal connect - it would do Chromecast just fine.

This evening I went out, when I came back the laptop had gone to sleep, move mouse to wake it and same problem, wouldn't see the devices until I rebooted again.
Unfortunately that's deciding factor on moving to Tidal for me as I've had it on the 60 day trial, really couldn't be bothered having to reboot every time I want to connect ... shame but a deal breaker for me.

This evening I went out, when I came back the laptop had gone to sleep, move mouse to wake it and same problem, wouldn't see the devices until I rebooted again.
Unfortunately that's deciding factor on moving to Tidal for me as I've had it on the 60 day trial, really couldn't be bothered having to reboot every time I want to connect ... shame but a deal breaker for me.
That's a pity. I don't use my laptop for any music use, I prefer using a phone or tablet so now use the Wiim app to control Tidal which works ok

That's a pity. I don't use my laptop for any music use, I prefer using a phone or tablet so now use the Wiim app to control Tidal which works ok

I'm just not a big mobile phone / tablet user and they'd often be off for days, the only reason I started using my tablet on a regular basis was when I signed up for streaming music.
My laptop however is on virtually all day so it's a convenience thing, I also much prefer a full size keyboard but appreciated that's not the way the market is heading nor their audience nowadays and none of the providers have great cast functions for a computer apart from Spotify.

I tested what I suspected this morning, I was attached to Landing and it was working, I closed the laptop down and having switched the landing access point off started it again so it could only boot up and connect to lounge and again you couldn't see the devices.
Once connected to lounge I rebooted the computer and ot reconnected to the same on start up and all the devices were there.

I haven't tried any of this on a tablet / phone yet but will do over the next day or so just to see if it's Windows specific.

Back