Toggle "5Ghz only" always resets to "on" after reboot

Paul F.

Hi,

in the device settings under "Network Status", there's a toggle for "5 Ghz only". I need to set this to "off" because my 5 GHz network isn't super reliable and goes offline for whole stretches of time.

However, having disabled this setting, it always goes back to "on" by itself, after every reboot.

Does anyone else get this?

(Of course this means if I fire up my device while the 5GHz network isn't working, the Wiim doesn't connect to anything, even though the 2,4 GHz network is online and ready. It's annoying.)

We can’t see your ticket, they’re private to your login.

As an aside, why are you rebooting your WiiM?
Oh I see. I thought the issue tracker was public. Anyway, I reported this 5 days ago.

I don’t think the reboots are relevant here because that setting should obviously stick regardless.

The wiims reboot because they’re hooked to a power switch to power both them and the amps off when I don’t use them. I don’t need to have network devices active and online 24/7 when I’m only using them for an hour in any given day.

I dare say WiiM have a good few tickets to deal with but hopefully they’ll get round to yours soon and then will have to schedule and test a fix before releasing it.

Most people tend to leave their low power WiiM devices on so they can receive OTA firmware updates, network concerns aside.

I have the 5ghz only option disabled on my mini.
Pulled the usb plug, put it back in a bit later.
Still disabled, and the network status screen shows connected to 2.4ghz network.

Ok, so I know that doesn't help you, but it does show it can / does work.

I have the 5ghz only option disabled on my mini.
Pulled the usb plug, put it back in a bit later.
Still disabled, and the network status screen shows connected to 2.4ghz network.

Ok, so I know that doesn't help you, but it does show it can / does work.

No that’s actually interesting. Maybe it’s something to do with the initial setup then. Did you first set up the device with a 2,4ghz network, if you remember?

Do you have WiFi Roaming on or off?

Hi,

in the device settings under "Network Status", there's a toggle for "5 Ghz only". I need to set this to "off" because my 5 GHz network isn't super reliable and goes offline for whole stretches of time.

However, having disabled this setting, it always goes back to "on" by itself, after every reboot.

Does anyone else get this?

(Of course this means if I fire up my device while the 5GHz network isn't working, the Wiim doesn't connect to anything, even though the 2,4 GHz network is online and ready. It's annoying.)
You can only turn off WiFi on pro if you’re connected on Ethernet. Other option would be log in into your router and block that specific device from connecting with simple toggle switch.

No that’s actually interesting. Maybe it’s something to do with the initial setup then. Did you first set up the device with a 2,4ghz network, if you remember?

Do you have WiFi Roaming on or off?
Long story short..
Yes, I did a full reset of my mini a week or two back as my wifi at that end of the house wasn't working properly, so I connected it to the 2.4ghz network which was stronger that far from the modem.
Roaming off, ipv6 off.

The quite old modem I had in AP mode at that end of the house was playing up, and has been replaced with a shiny, new modem, also in AP mode.
No wifi signal issues there any more, I just haven't bothered putting the mini back to 5ghz network.

You can only turn off WiFi on pro if you’re connected on Ethernet. Other option would be log in into your router and block that specific device from connecting with simple toggle switch.
It's not wifi off we're discussing, it's 5ghz only off.
Although that doesn't invalidate what you wrote!

Long story short..
Yes, I did a full reset of my mini a week or two back as my wifi at that end of the house wasn't working properly, so I connected it to the 2.4ghz network which was stronger that far from the modem.
Roaming off, ipv6 off.

The quite old modem I had in AP mode at that end of the house was playing up, and has been replaced with a shiny, new modem, also in AP mode.
No wifi signal issues there any more, I just haven't bothered putting the mini back to 5ghz network.

Ok thanks! So my hunch is now that whatever network you connect it to on initial setup might determine this behaviour.

I’ll factory reset and connect it to a 2,4 GHz only network. Let’s see if that changes anything about the behaviour of this toggle.

So I tried the following:
  • Factory reset on the Wiim
  • Disable the 5 GHz band on my network
  • Add the Wiim again as a new device
  • Run it in 2,4 GHz band for a while
  • Enable the 5 GHz band and see what happens
Result:
  • As long as the Wiim has no access to a 5 GHz band, the option "5 Ghz only" stays disabled
  • As soon as I enable the 5 GHz band, the Wiim switches to that band and toggles the "5 Ghz only" setting by itself.
  • So now, when I take away the 5 GHz band again, it can't connect to anything anymore
Seems to be a bug.

So I tried the following:
  • Factory reset on the Wiim
  • Disable the 5 GHz band on my network
  • Add the Wiim again as a new device
  • Run it in 2,4 GHz band for a while
  • Enable the 5 GHz band and see what happens
Result:
  • As long as the Wiim has no access to a 5 GHz band, the option "5 Ghz only" stays disabled
  • As soon as I enable the 5 GHz band, the Wiim switches to that band and toggles the "5 Ghz only" setting by itself.
  • So now, when I take away the 5 GHz band again, it can't connect to anything anymore
Seems to be a bug.
Are 2.4GHz and 5GHz the same SSID?
(e.g. band steering function is enabled)

My 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks have different ssids.
I must have got the choice between them when I set up the mini after a reset, forcing it to remain on whichever I chose.
That’s probably why the setting remains off for you, because your Wiim doesn’t get access to a 5 GHz band in the first place.

Back