Toggle "5Ghz only" always resets to "on" after reboot

Paul F.

Hi,

in the device settings under "Network Status", there's a toggle for "5 Ghz only". I need to set this to "off" because my 5 GHz network isn't super reliable and goes offline for whole stretches of time.

However, having disabled this setting, it always goes back to "on" by itself, after every reboot.

Does anyone else get this?

(Of course this means if I fire up my device while the 5GHz network isn't working, the Wiim doesn't connect to anything, even though the 2,4 GHz network is online and ready. It's annoying.)

Nobody is disputing that, merely trying to help you find a workable solution until WiiM fixes their app/firmware.

Sorry I misunderstood. So yeah, what I'd most likely do if this drags on is separating SSIDs for 2,4 and 5 GHz. Which is a bummer because having them under one ID is quite beneficial for my other network devices. I don't think I can set the bands for the guest WiFi separately, but I'll check.

Won't the guest WiFi enforce client isolation? At the very least I'd expect it to be the default.

EDIT: Looks like I could be wrong about that, it appears its usually an additional configuration option.

Last edited:
Won't the guest WiFi enforce client isolation? At the very least I'd expect it to be the default.

EDIT: Looks like I could be wrong about that, it appears its usually an additional configuration option.
My suggestion of using the guest network was only to see if another 2.4gHz SSID could be offered for the WiiM - I didnt think any further than that 😂

Most guest networks default to client isolation, by design. In any case they're usually on a completely different subnet.

If tinkering with the router SSIDs is not on the cards then plonking down a cheap 2.4GHz access point with its own SSID would be an option, at least until any WiiM fix.

Sorry I misunderstood. So yeah, what I'd most likely do if this drags on is separating SSIDs for 2,4 and 5 GHz. Which is a bummer because having them under one ID is quite beneficial for my other network devices. I don't think I can set the bands for the guest WiFi separately, but I'll check.
I understand the convenience of using the same SSID for one's 5GHz and 2.4GHz wireless networks/VLANs, but it is a best practice not to do so, because so many devices out there support only 2.4GHz connections, and mixing the two frequencies on the same SSID can make operation fiddly and troubleshooting challenging. Having said that, I'm an offender myself.

I understand the convenience of using the same SSID for one's 5GHz and 2.4GHz wireless networks/VLANs, but it is a best practice not to do so, because so many devices out there support only 2.4GHz connections, and mixing the two frequencies on the same SSID can make operation fiddly and troubleshooting challenging. Having said that, I'm an offender myself.
yeah, that’s why I was postulating the use of the separate guest network.

I use different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz on my ASUS mesh, plus per-band whitelisting and client-node binding where necessary. It keeps devices where I want them.

Back