Tracks displaying in alphabetical order for all albums on NAS drive

neil74

Just set up my Wiim mini and after browsing my NAS drive the tracks on every album are displaying in alphabetical order and not the correct album order.

The tags look correct and other devices/apps see the same song files correctly. Cannot see any setting to change the display order (android app)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• Beatles 1 example.jpg
    Beatles 1 example.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1
Just the OOTB QNAP Music station.
Try looking at it via BubbleUPNP app on Android.
If it is still incorrect then it is probably the Music Station UPnP implementation.
If its in correct order then its yet another bug in WiiM Home App UPnP integration.

Minimserver which is supported on most modern QNAPs amd available through Appstore is probably a better choice that the Music Station.

Thanks.

I think I'd need to run docker on my NAS to use BubbleUPNP. It is odd that everything else sees the files fine. Ironically one of the reasons I purchased the Wiim was to move away from Heos on my hifi and even Heos (horrible though it is) can display the files correctly.

I might try enabling DNLA on my plex server and see if that works..

Thanks.

I think I'd need to run docker on my NAS to use BubbleUPNP. It is odd that everything else sees the files fine. Ironically one of the reasons I purchased the Wiim was to move away from Heos on my hifi and even Heos (horrible though it is) can display the files correctly.

I might try enabling DNLA on my plex server and see if that works..
You can run BubbleUPNP just on Android phone/tablet as a control point. You don't need to install it on QNAP.

I have Plex DLNA enabled on a NAS and it does present in correct track order via WiiM App.
It may well be the QNAP Music Station software that is doing it.

If you are familiar with docker then I'd strongly recommend LMS with Material plugin and configure your WiiM as LMS endpoint with the LMS UPnP Bridge. This route with a couple of other LMS plugins will produce a far superior user experience. It does everything WiiM App does (better and plus more) with exception of Amazon and Apple.

Thanks, I'll try bubble as a controller then, that might work.

BTW, just tried Plex and it didplays fine so it must be music station. I usually have DLNA off on plex but maybe I'll just disable music station and go with Plex.

If you are familiar with docker then I'd strongly recommend LMS with Material plugin and configure your WiiM as LMS endpoint with the LMS UPnP Bridge. This route with a couple of other LMS plugins will produce a far superior user experience. It does everything WiiM App does (better and plus more) with exception of Amazon and Apple.
Interesting. I have avoided docker so far as I have read that Docker just eats up resource and I have not really needed it. My QNAP is the 462 with 8gb of RAM so it should be up to the task. Might take a look, thanks.

Need to test it but Plex over DNLA looks to be a non-starter. In the preferences it has transcoding options which top out at 320. I do not want Plex touching the files at all and did not think it transcoded over DLNA? As I say need to test later when I finish work, maybe it just falls back on that if it hits problems?

I do hate this about plex that it is no way to totally disable transcoding, but that is a whole other discussion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230330_180750_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20230330_180750_WiiM Home.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230330_180737_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20230330_180737_WiiM Home.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2
MinimServer is my server of choice and it's excellent.

There is a free version available that includes the following indexes:
Artist, Date, Genre, All Artists, Composer, *RecentAdded, *RecentPlayed, #AudioData, #AudioFormat

The Artist index provides main artist information. It contains AlbumArtist tag values for albums that have this tag and Artist tag values otherwise.
The All Artists index provides Artist tag values only.
RecentAdded and RecentPlayed are set to the last 300 items.

If you've invested the time in your tagging then with the paid version you can really tailor the experience, otherwise the free version is probably enough.

Need to test it but Plex over DNLA looks to be a non-starter. In the preferences it has transcoding options which top out at 320. I do not want Plex touching the files at all and did not think it transcoded over DLNA? As I say need to test later when I finish work, maybe it just falls back on that if it hits problems?

I do hate this about plex that it is no way to totally disable transcoding, but that is a whole other discussion.
I don’t think Plex transcodes audio by default only video and only based on the player’s capability

Just set up my Wiim mini and after browsing my NAS drive the tracks on every album are displaying in alphabetical order and not the correct album order.

The tags look correct and other devices/apps see the same song files correctly. Cannot see any setting to change the display order (android app)

Any ideas?

Thanks
I see you too have the latest bugs. This was not an issue before the latest software release. I’m experiencing the same problem.

I see you too have the latest bugs. This was not an issue before the latest software release. I’m experiencing the same problem.
The latest fix to the WHA is to display the track listing in the order that the media server sends it. This is how it should be because - in many circumstances - the WHA cannot know the correct order to display the tracks as it's not included in the xml sent from the server.
Are you using the QNAP music station too?

Last edited:
If you have some experience of the vagaries of UPnP implementations you wouldn't really expect WiiM to support every eventuality.
Unfortunately WiiM are targetting a market where people expect it to "just work" and there is a distinct lack of a "fully supported UPnP server" list in the marketing.

The latest fix to the WHA is to display the track listing in the order that the media server sends it. This is how it should be because - in many circumstances - the WHA cannot know the correct order to display the tracks as it's not included in the xml sent from the server.
Are you using the QNAP music station too?
Just the default DNLA server that comes with windows 11. My files are mostly .wav, and my filenames include the order: 01 Track1, 02 Track2 etc. Until recently that was enough for the WiiM app to get the order right. Now it alphabetical based on the track name metadata.

There's a post here about that change between Windows 7 and 8.1. I've just enabled sharing in Windows 10 and see the same thing.
Unfortunately it might be time to try another server.

There's a post here about that change between Windows 7 and 8.1. I've just enabled sharing in Windows 10 and see the same thing.
Unfortunately it might be time to try another server.
Thanks for your help. I guess the WiiM app has been hiding the limitations of Windows sharing up to now. But it’s all worked out well, because I’m trying MinimServer and the results are much better: better artwork, better tagging and indexing and correct play order! So thanks again!

Back