Ultra and amp pro and prices..

Right.

The Amp Pro. The thing they haven’t told us, is this PFFB? Have they sorted the issues with the original Amp?

If they have, I’m in. If not, I’ll get the Ultra and my own amp.

Great prices, by the way.
It has. See other thread.

In fact I might create a new "post-announcement" thread if WiiM don't soon, as my OCD is kicking in 🤣 🤣

This may not be of interest to everyone, but…

One of the great things here is that we’ll be able to get full measurements of the DAC/front end of the Amp Pro, as it’s effectively an Ultra with an amplification section.

With the last Amp it was a case of having to measure DAC stage and amp stage together.

CRIKEY BIKEY!

The specs (still to be independently verified, of course) are SNR 120dB and -105dB THD+N.

For comparison, that's almost identical to the Topping PA5 II, which has claimed power of 100W x 2.

I was thinking of buying the Ultra and pairing it with a PA5 II, which would cost me around £620. This will cost me c.£370.

I await the test results with great interest.

But if independent test measurement results are even remotely in the same area as the published specs, it has to be said (warning - 'industrial' language):

Very promising and a very good price. the question for me is the quality of the phone pre amp and whether its better than the Marantz 6014 i have now... Still wish it had video output though...

It will be possible to use an external phono pre amp, input using line level.

I just come from the HIGHEND 2024 and saw the new products…
The WiiM Ultra and the products for custom installation…
The WiiM Ultra will retail for 329$ and features an ESS ES9038Q2M dac. It will support Dolby Digital and has a SNR of 121 dB.

Attachments

• IMG_8315.jpeg
    IMG_8315.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8317.jpeg
    IMG_8317.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
I could not clearly find out weather the Phono input is really suitable for MM and MC and how it would be adjusted. I tried the new app for the Ultra and the only thing I could find in the audio settings was a function called Autosense… I think it recognizes the active input.
Concerning the Amp Pro, I was told that it will feature the same DAC and will be Roon ready.
Last but not least I was told that they have a third amplifier in the pipeline…
Amp Pro Plus
It will be a combination of Amp Pro and Ultra… with display/tuchscreen.

The Ultra is slightly bigger than the amp as you can see in the picture…

Attachments

• IMG_8313.jpeg
    IMG_8313.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8312.jpeg
    IMG_8312.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
Good thing they got rid of the triangle on the volume knob. I would have like to have seen an additional balanced output for the headphones though.

An ESS with a SNR of 121. Sounds like another garbage Topping product. Very disappointed they switched from AKM.
Also just ditched another product with ESS that sounded etched and unnatural.
Plan B is going to have 2 pieces instead of 1, but the better sound quality will be worth it.
I was really hoping Wiim would get it right with convenient features and top sound quality, but it's just another compromised product.

I just come from the HIGHEND 2024 and saw the new products…
The WiiM Ultra and the products for custom installation…
The WiiM Ultra will retail for 329$ and features an ESS ES9038Q2M dac. It will support Dolby Digital and has a SNR of 121 dB.
What are the rectangular boxes on the second picture? The only thing I can find for "CI MOD S" is a website that says it was registered as a trademark somewhere between 1 May and today.

What are the rectangular boxes on the second picture? The only thing I can find for "CI MOD S" is a website that says it was registered as a trademark somewhere between 1 May and today.
These are modules for special installation requirements… an amp and a streamer like the Pro… their shape is optimized for rack mount installation and opts at the need of sound system integrators

I refuse to buy one until I know it will play DSD files. I got suckered in upgrading from a Pro to a Pro Plus with the promise of DSD per the Dac specs but it was bogus. I’m not greeting suckered again.

Back